[Complete] BWI - Brutal Wesnoth International - Prize Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

soul_steven

Re: BWI - Brutal Wesnoth International - Prize Tournament

Post by soul_steven »

nani I think your right, we should wait till the other tourneys are over then reincarnate TOC. We can talk of this more in the future however for now it seems this tourney has indeed died:(
Madlok

Post by Madlok »

And all those awesome videos on yt :augh:
Quick bats are quick.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yeah it was a bit spiteful to delete all the awesome videos. :(
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

Ragequit is still a ragequit.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Well in one sense he has proven by his own response here how once money is involved it can cause sudden escalations in tension and have a generally disruptive, negative effect on the community. I'm sorry to see him go though; I also enjoyed his videos.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

I think nekis reaction is understandable, it would be surprising if after a major effort he has done to organise the tournament and this tournament being shot down the way it was, he would return to making videos like nothing happened. Wouldn't call it a ragequit either... after a huge disappointment like that you just need to distance yourself from the thing that caused it. Which in this case was Wesnoth. Hence closing of the youtube-channel and tournament site.
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Which is also why you should always make sure everything is worked out before putting such a large effort into something like this.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

I think that big prizes and big business won't do anything good for the game. Commercialization does only harm the gaming culture. highly competitive gaming is good and I like it, but cash prizes are not that kind of things that I like.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Gragorak wrote:I think that big prizes and big business won't do anything good for the game. Commercialization does only harm the gaming culture. highly competitive gaming is good and I like it, but cash prizes are not that kind of things that I like.
thats ridiculous

look at original Starcraft as the prime example of what prize tournaments can do for the popularity of a game
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Cackfiend wrote:
Gragorak wrote:I think that big prizes and big business won't do anything good for the game. Commercialization does only harm the gaming culture. highly competitive gaming is good and I like it, but cash prizes are not that kind of things that I like.
thats ridiculous

look at original Starcraft as the prime example of what prize tournaments can do for the popularity of a game
I don't think he's talking about the same thing as you Cack.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Cackfiend wrote:
thats ridiculous

Starcraft is also a prime example of what serious competition can do to the community of a game. Have you been on any of the Starcraft fan forums recently? They're toxic! In contrast, Wesnoth has one of the most civil, pleasant gaming communities that I know of. I would argue that trading the latter for the former would not be an improvement.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

It's sad to see neki go, if he has gone for good.

A ToC sounds nice, if the site were still up it would be a shame not to use it to have a BWI but without it there's as much incentive. In addition there were a couple of things about neki's version that I didn't like, the mappack, timer, knowing factions beforehand etc.

The tournament format had some nice qualities though, might be something to keep in mind for future tournies like KoTF.
Gragorak

Post by Gragorak »

Cackfiend wrote:
Gragorak wrote:
I think that big prizes and big business won't do anything good for the game. Commercialization does only harm the gaming culture. highly competitive gaming is good and I like it, but cash prizes are not that kind of things that I like.
thats ridiculous

Yes, Starcraft became very popular after the prize tournaments, but the community of the game... Only winnig means something. Though in MTG the community of the game is still in ok condition, so the prize tournaments might be worth trying in Wesnoth, too.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Pentarctagon wrote:Which is also why you should always make sure everything is worked out before putting such a large effort into something like this.
True, not asking devs in advance was a mistake. Although this was probably not so obvious, 'cause BWI wouldn't have been the first wesnoth tournament with money prizes, just the first international one.
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

As to whether or not Neki has left, I'd say let's wait a few days and see.

About doing TOC 5, yeah, I'm up for it. Let's do it after WTT wraps up.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme