[Complete] TOURNAMENT: Conquest

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nauzhror

[Complete] TOURNAMENT: Conquest

Post by Nauzhror »

Last edited by Nauzhror on December 3rd, 2011, 1:39 pm, edited 17 times in total.
SlowThinker

Re: TOURNAMENT: Conquest

Post by SlowThinker »

Some recommendations (all are "IMHO"):

Ask people to register here, so that it is public. Registered people will attract more players.

I would register, but I don't know the tournament system (like time settings :) ). Don't you want to propose a system, and let people to comment it first?

There are at least three Conquest versions among the add-ons. I recommend to run all the tourney games with one version:
Conquest+ is very different.
Conquest Minus and Mabuse's Conquest are rather close, but there are many different details and this fact could be a source of mistakes of players.

There are many Conquest player that visit play very rarely, but they might be attracted by the tournament. This is why I think there should be a long time period in which people can play their 1st game: at least a month.
But also the schedule for next games should be not be tight - some people can play only several games per one month.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

You know, a Tournament in CONQUEST will throw up some QUESTIONS ...

for example.. which version will be used ?
which settings will be chosen ?
which maps will be played ?
is there a timer ?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Nauzhror

Post by Nauzhror »

I would register, but I don't know the tournament system (like time settings )
The time settings will be picked according to players choices. Everyone who will register will be able to choose when they want to fight that guy, I think we will be able to pick a time that both players like.
There are many Conquest player that visit play very rarely, but they might be attracted by the tournament. This is why I think there should be a long time period in which people can play their 1st game: at least a month.
This will be handeled as well, I doubt this tournament will take a few days. It might take an entire season to play trough. But It should be rather fun, as we will have some explainatory rounds for new conquest players as well. I'm not that keen in conquest but I can host a 1vs1 battle and help the newbie out.
Capital,
Sudmark for early stage, Wesnoth for mid-stage, The last stage map will either be Sudmark, or a bigger map like Litergue.
is there a timer ?
No, I hate timers, and I will not add any, afterall it's a slow conquest game, if you want a blitz go and host a game and have a sort timmer.

- - -

Ill add a FAQ to the first post.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Nauzhror wrote:
Capital,
Sudmark for early stage, Wesnoth for mid-stage, The last stage map will either be Sudmark, or a bigger map like Litergue.
is there a timer ?
No, I hate timers, and I will not add any, afterall it's a slow conquest game, if you want a blitz go and host a game and have a sort timmer.

- - -
Ill add a FAQ to the first post.
Ok, the settings seem to be good.
Capitol is great, no short timer is also great (kinda).

However, there should be some sort of FLAT Timer, lets say, a FLAT 8 minute timer.
You start with 480 secs, get 480 secs per turn, and there is no action bonus or some other sort of crap. simply FLAT 8 minutes per turn.

i just mention this flat timer, since without a timer it is absolutely legal to simply not play at all and reason this with: "i am thinking"

for myself i can say that i dont know wether i can participate in the tournament or not yet.
Last edited by Mabuse on September 16th, 2011, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Nauzhror wrote:Remember, if I see dublicate IP addreses you will be disqualafied.
I don't think you can avoid cheating in Wesnoth. You must expect you play with rational people who don't want to spoil fun and thrill to themselves.

Mabuse wrote:However, there should be some sort of FLAT Timer, lets say, a FLAT 8 minute timer.
You start with 480 secs, get 480 secs per turn, and there is no action bonus or some other sort of crap. simply FLAT 8 minutes per turn.

i just mention this flat timer, since without a timer it is absolutely legal to simply not play at all and reason this with: "i am thinking"
I suppose there will be no people who will registrate and then won't want to play att all.

With tens of units 8 min per a turn is a blitz. I played some games with Gwledig's settings (5 min + the attack bonus) and I remember I was able to move a half of my units (no thinking, just fast clicking), and without a lag.
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

that was an example. ofc 10minutes or something else would be also ok.
however, i just remember that the roundtime cannot get higher than 5 min + 30 sec action bonus.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

if you look at games of fast players (not me) with huge armies then you see they often need more than 20 min per turn.
And if you want to take the tournament very seriously and want very precise rules then you would have to create also a rule how to interrupt a game (you get a lot of time when the game is saved and it is your turn)
Anyway I think it is a nonsense to elaborate precise rules in a tournament where cheating is possible and quite easy (I speak theoretically, I don't think anyone would want to cheat :roll: )
Nauzhror wrote:First stage will be 1vs1 battles, it's going to pretty simple, a disqualification game, with the winner gaining a point. Once everyone has battled out the ones without any points will not be allowed to advance further.
This confuses me. You mean a knockout?

BTW Surdmark 1 vs 1 without teleports is a bad idea, as the side closer to the center wins very likely. For 1 vs 1 you need a balanced map (like dative, lotrando) or teleports.
Nauzhror

Post by Nauzhror »

However, there should be some sort of FLAT Timer, lets say, a FLAT 8 minute timer.
No timer. Sorry.
This confuses me. You mean a knockout?
Yes. :roll:
BTW Surdmark 1 vs 1 without teleports is a bad idea, as the side closer to the center wins very likely. For 1 vs 1 you need a balanced map (like dative, lotrando) or teleports.
Each side will get 2-3 sides witch balance it up. Ill be on the start probably. If it's going to be compleatly [censored] on the spawns we can remake.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

You still didn't say which Conquest version will be used, and for many people (including me and Mabuse :D ) it may be important for the decision whether to participate or not.
Nauzhror wrote:Each side will get 2-3 sides witch balance it up. Ill be on the start probably. If it's going to be compleatly [censored] on the spawns we can remake.
You (or anyone who won't play that specific game) can prepare balanced games in advance:
You start a game, save the start of red turn 1, then you end turn of all sides so that you see the spawn of Neutrals. If it is balanced the save may be used for a game.

Still the luck won't be fully eliminated, so I would recommend two wins should be needed in a knockout (or another system might be used - for example if less than 10 people will registrate they can play a round robin system)
Nauzhror

Post by Nauzhror »

SlowThinker wrote:You still didn't say which Conquest version will be used, and for many people (including me and Mabuse :D ) it may be important for the decision whether to participate or not.

You (or anyone who won't play that specific game) can prepare balanced games in advance:
You start a game, save the start of red turn 1, then you end turn of all sides so that you see the spawn of Neutrals. If it is balanced the save may be used for a game.

Still the luck won't be fully eliminated, so I would recommend two wins should be needed in a knockout (or another system might be used - for example if less than 10 people will registrate they can play a round robin system)
Probably conquest - will be used. As I don't like conquest+ nor the "original one" that has unkeep or something.

I can always do that. And as no one really registered so far I doubt there will be a 1 win knockout. Perhaps best out of 3.
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

Nauzhror wrote:Probably conquest - will be used. As I don't like conquest+ nor the "original one" that has unkeep or something.
IMO this is a good choice, as more people play this version, so better chance to fill the player list.
Be patient, and maybe show yourself on the MP server so that people see you are not a terrorist or a vegetarian.

I think the possibility to register should be open long (maybe 2 months, because of those Conquest players that play infrequently), but simultaneously the tourney should start sooner ...

----------------------------
I registrate myself to the tournament. (I hope I am nr 1 ^_^ )
Nauzhror

Post by Nauzhror »

You're the second. I'm the first, technicly. :whistle:
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Wait... So this is just like a ladder game? Are there teams? Or is it solo?
realitytruth

Post by realitytruth »

i dont mind entering the tourney. reality on wesnoth.