[Complete] The Grand Tag! 2v2 Tournament - 3rd Edition!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Faello

Re: The Grand Tag! 2v2 Tournament - 3rd Edition!

Post by Faello »

Rigor wrote:(...)The actual mistake happened at turn 5 where a griph attacked and received horrible damage while at the same time offering enough space for a counter which took him down just like that. Interesting for us would be what obs thought about the whole situation until this crucial move and if the echo was supportive towards such an experimental gamestyle during the tournament or not. your turn to talk now (maybe tentacles will say some words?)

The Landfishies
Going early with 3x gryphon + ulf on Horus side basically created a constant source of problems for you. Gryphon is very expensive and you're paying mostly for speed, 50% defence everywhere aside mountains and decent max damage output in every turn of the game (12x2 or 13x2, blade) thus it's an auxiliary attacker type of unit (I like to call them "flying assasins"), not a main battle unit (it's too pricey and not resilient enough when it comes to asses it's durability in prolonged combat to be used like that). I think nani initial recruit wasn't optimal either (with northeners as p1 he should've taken just 1 wolf and pump the 17gp into more useful (from the early push perspective) main battle units/perhaps an assasin, but he decided to go for 8,14 (to block p2 from grabbing it) + 23,13 to block p3 and get a good position to grab 17,15 later (maybe if game was properly set he would have been less impatient and go for 8,14 +17,15 instead (which is basically only choice with 2x wolf worth considering imo, because it's hard to protect wolf-to-23,13 efficiently with that 17gp spent on another one).

I really liked your ulf-to-23,13 idea, I played this way once (altough with a dwarf+foot/poach recruit) and it's a perfect way to stop enemy from achieving superiority on p1 side early, but you need a correct type of units to profit from this move and I mean dwarves (guardsman is a must have on this map). Lots of dwarves and footpads, some poacher. Thief is basically a poor choice on this map because this map is tight and you're unlikely to achieve a backstab here and you've got 4 thieves in this game (probably because you got too much gryphon riders and you needed some cheap ZoC makers quickly, but footpads are much better for that since there was just a minimal chance that you will achieve any backstab situation vs Northeners in a small space). Also, your elves had to support Horus side = you were weaker vs peace side. You've also poorly judged your ability to capture the 8,1 and 18,2 villages in the future thus you've lost significant amount of gold this way.

So basically speaking, you should get harmed in the first night, but you didn't because:

1)nani went with 2x wolf initial recruit & made a mistake of losing one of the wolves early
2)game was set with Random Start Time and nani didn't have the time necessary to use his first power phase properly (it started in the Morning while it should've started at Dawn)

Even under these circumstances you had to sacrifice some of the elven units to support knalgan side, thus it created an initiative for peace's elves in the result. Your 3x gryphon + thieves recruit also robbed you from most of the initiative vs Northeners (you couldn't go forward during the day = it was obvious you will get rolled in the night), so you've made a proper (under the grim circumstances) recovery decision to support (at least partially) the elven side.

Unfortunately for you, peace prepared a nice trap and just used your counterstrike to inflict even more damage, while nani used a good "hardcounter pack" of 2x fearless trolls (res to blade while gryphs are susceptible to impact damage) to beat up the gryphs easily and move forward during the day (thieves are probably one of the worst units in 2v2 to use against Northeners, thus Horus was forced to play the Tentacles game).

All in all, it wasn't a best game to observe. I don't want to sound like an a** but I think you'd have a lot of troubles to defeat a regular players with that strategy and you've had 0% chances to beat any player that is on decent skill level.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Dauntless
TGT Champion

Post by Dauntless »

hello guys, im a bit busy now so i will make the fancy announcemnt laters, for now, you have to be happy with my thx to landfish, congratz to tentacles and my opening of the grand finals due today.

WIll make itnicer one i find osme time and energ to spare for it, cheers.

P.S.: I would like to remind players to try to post game times earlier (if possible) and also to pm me about them. - I stumbled upon these games merely by acccident...
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

In the wake of Faellos megapost there is little to add, so just some short remarks:

@Rigor: im surprised you didnt get fish to grab the water village, this way you were basically fighting with 2 villages down for a significant amount of time.

@Horus: 3 gryphs is imho an overkill, especially against orcs, who can buy 6 grunts vs your 3 gryphs for the same cost (grunts being generally as strong as gryph in combat). Also having so many expensive units means, you will have only few of them. And those few units can't guard villages/rotate/fight etc. all at the same time. In fact i think this recruit alone might have been game deciding if not for 1. RST that weakened nanis first night push & 2. rigors massive support (which kinda backfired anyway, cause he had not enough units left to grab his villages)

On overall strategy of not taking the villages: it was very... daring to say the least, i would maybe understand it (but not advise) if you had 2 chaotic factions and wanted to have additional unit upfront for the first night rush, but looking how you two had a defensive elf/dwarf combo :hmm: Sorry for the critic, but you asked for it :P

aaaaaaaand i also bring to you the replay with obs chat, which was quite funny btw. Its only the first part, i.e. before Horus disconnected, but the game didnt last too long after reload anyway...

bah almost forgot! Nani, i really loved your picture (i hope the nerds appreciate it as well, although i doubt it for some reason :D), if i hadnt googled the image name and found out that it was made by a female artist from the US i would assume you made it specifically for this ocassion... cause its just perfect. Or is there something the community doesn't know about your r/l identity? ;)
Attachments
4p_-_Xanthe_Chaos_replay_tentacles_vs_landfishes_3rd_game_pt1.gz
(35.31 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
I won't be able to see any messages that are sent to alpha1.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

alpha1 wrote: bah almost forgot! Nani, i really loved your picture (i hope the nerds appreciate it as well, although i doubt it for some reason :D), if i hadnt googled the image name and found out that it was made by a female artist from the US i would assume you made it specifically for this ocassion... cause its just perfect.
It is simply the first image found by "Sith tentacles Jedi" on Google image search.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

check out where the link from image search leads to ;)
If you have any wishes or suggestions concerning the TGT or just want to drop me a message, pls pm me at: alpha1_pm
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

I hope your wesnoth skills are to the same standard as your image trawling nani, because ...

Nerds R US vs Tentacles of the Deep takes place at 21.45GMT TONIGHT

... and everyone knows the Jedi always win in the end 8) .
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Is this the final matchup?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Yes, the first game of the final round.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Attention Finalists!

Today i've come to you as Herold of great news and great changes! The GRAND-Final is upon us and with it the FINAL most important phase of the TGT has begun! And while some games of the former rounds were docile, some one-sided and some very short, those flaws are DOOMED to disappear now, that two of our finest teams have crossed their swords light sabers!

In the wake of this event i am proud to announce the will of the organisers and that of the crowd! Let this Final be remembered as trully GRAND! Let there be STRUGGLE! Let there be BLOOD! Let there be 40 turns games filled with TENSION and DRAMA!

In order to represent this new beginning, i shall cast down my fluffy avatar and assume a new persona till the end of tournament. From now on i shall be known as ALPHA VON DOOM!

artists impression: alpha von doom holding his famous motivational speech.
Last edited by alpha1 on August 3rd, 2013, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Faello couldn't bare that his friend transformed into something so non-fluffy and powermongering, thus he has assumed the most pawwahful form he could assume...

...the....

FAELLO-KENNY FORM! <BAM-DAM-DAM-DAM!!!>

Stop alphy! Don't do it! Go to the fluffy side! Oh wait...what the...Kenny-form?!...oh come on...
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

How deep have you fallen, Faello?! What happened to the once proud (self-proclaimed) leader of "Faello and friends",The COON, that made you assume the form of your own arch-nemesis?!!
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Oh, did I make it for the final round? Neat! :geek:
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

wb grzywacz :P

Btw. to all the fans of 2vs2 out there, i have an announcement to make. I have recently reuploaded Isar's Classic to the add-on server (currently at the bottom of add-on list). So, to old players wishing to experience again the glory of old days, but also to new players curious about the map that molted generations of players before the rise of ladder... enjoy! 8)
nani

Post by nani »

Grand Finals Game 1:

Clash - The_Black_Sword(P1|Elves) & tekelili(P3|Elves) vs peace(P2|Undead) & nani(P4|Drakes)
Nerds_R_US_vs_Tentacles_of_the_Deep_Game1.gz
(48.17 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Spoiler:
nani

Post by nani »

Game 2 of the Finals will start today, Nov11, 22GMT.