[Complete] * * * Tournament of Champions: 9/9/06, 18:00 GMT * * *

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jg

Post by jg »

Since I probably can't even watch, can you post all the results??

jg
Koles

Post by Koles »

Well I think there should be time limit, 3 mins is fine enough and also rounds limit should be set to 50. That will make games more rapid and not to take hours for one game.
Trolls Trolls Trolls :-]
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Do we really want the game to be less rapid? And imagine a game that last for more than 50 turns - it means players are of comparable power, so the game would be very interesting. Thus, i see no reason to make it a draw.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I don't want to impose any time limit or turn limit, but if both players in a match agree to either, I'm fine with it. If you do agree to a turn limit, you should also agree to decide that game by village ownership, should that game end with no military victor. This tournament will take long enough as it is, and I definitely want to avoid matches that could end in a "tie." (Kills/Losses would obviously be a bad way to decide, as it's common for some factions to lose a lot of units and maintain a clear advantage.)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Ok, one more question. You said first round will be best of three, round two will be best of five. Now considering there are 16 players there should be four rounds (16-->8-->4-->2). What will be the scoring for round three and four? I really don't want to do best of seven and best of nine (even though I doubt I'd make it that far :P )
Last edited by Dragon Master on September 2nd, 2006, 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

jg wrote:Since I probably can't even watch, can you post all the results??

jg
I plan to, yes.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Dragon Master- I'll modify the original post to clarify further rounds.

I'd only planned on the final being a best-of-seven, and even then, it won't be a typical play-a-bunch-of-games-on-the-same-map.

Stand by; I'm working on the edit now.

If we do get the waiting list up to 16, how would people feel about the tournament doubling in size? I'm up for it, but let me know what you all think. Too wild?
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I've modified the original post, hashing-out the later rounds. For those of you who don't want to go searching through that huge post, I'll post it here:

3. In the first round, players will face their opponents in a best-of-three series, with the standard settings of Fog, 100g and 2gpv, on the newest version of the 2p map Den of Onis, and the most current version of Wesnoth available on said dates. If you do not have the newest version of the Den of Onis map, (which is newer than the one released with 1.1.9) you can find it here:

http://star.walagata.com/w/paterson/AugustDenofOnis.txt

(If you don’t know how to install a map, just ask.)

For all rounds, player sides will be initially determined by coin toss, and will switch after every game.

4. All other rounds will also be played with standard settings on the most current version of Wesnoth. Round Two will be a best-of-five series. The first match will be played on Charge. The second match will be played on Den of Onis. The third match will be played on Blitz. The fourth match, if neccessary, on Meteor Lake, and the fifth, again on Charge. Like round one, turn sides will be, at first, determined randomly, then will switch after every game.

Round Two
game 1: Charge
game 2: Den of Onis
game 3: Blitz
game 4: Meteor Lake
game 5: Charge

For Round Three, the Semifinals, players are again competing in a best-of-five series, the difference being that that player two chooses the map on which each game is played. For example, let's say we had Becephalus vs. jb in a semifinals match, and jb was randomly determined to be starting as player one. Becephalus would choose the map on which their first match was played. After that game, Becephalus becomes player one for the next game (regardless of the winner, as in other rounds), and jb then chooses the map for game two. Players can choose any official 1v1 map. (This includes Cynsaun Battlefield, for which I'll soon be posting an update that powers down Undead and Drakes.)

The Finals will work in the same way as the Semifinals (players choosing the maps as they switch to the player 2 side). The Finals will be a best-of-seven series. It may be that the Finals will have to be played over the course of two days; this depends on the stamina/energy level of the finalists.

without your noses.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

As it can be seen, for the two best players whol match means 20 games. Therefore, i propose to split the tournamnet into two days:

9 IX : round one and two
10 IX : round three and final

What will be funny, is that people who fall at the beginning, are probably going to observe next matches. So the later the game, the more observers there will be. I guess the last game will be observed by about 10-20 people. ^_^

If the waiting list reaches 16, you should add elimination round. The players shouldnt be paired randomly into pairs. Instead you should do like in football:

Pu players into groups of random 4 people, each does 1 match with each other on Den of Onis, in such manner, that 2 players play 1st 2 times, and the other two players play first 1 time.

The best 2 players proceed to round 1.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Capn' Wankel

Post by Capn' Wankel »

Happy Wesnoth day all.....Good news for you guys on the waiting list. I just found out from the wife that she has relatives coming in to town on friday night through sunday. And anyone that is married on here knows that it is a "we" thing. So I am afraid that I will unfortunately have to make a waiting lister's day today.

This post represents my formal withdrawl from the tournament.

If I get 5 minutes here and there I will most certainly be observing and taking in the carnage. GL to whomever takes my place

-Lee
JW

Post by JW »

omg...you cant possibly do all these matches in 1 day...
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

JW wrote:omg...you cant possibly do all these matches in 1 day...
Oh, I guess this wasn't clear- It's only one round per day. Round one is on 9/9/06, and round two is on 9/16/06 (the next saturday). I'd assumed we would do one round per saturday. :wink:

I'd also thought though that perhaps after round one, we could play around with the scheduling a bit, so that the tournament could end in less than 4 saturdays. We'll work it out with the players who make it past Round One.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Capn' Wankel wrote:Happy Wesnoth day all.....Good news for you guys on the waiting list. I just found out from the wife that she has relatives coming in to town on friday night through sunday. And anyone that is married on here knows that it is a "we" thing. So I am afraid that I will unfortunately have to make a waiting lister's day today.

This post represents my formal withdrawl from the tournament.

If I get 5 minutes here and there I will most certainly be observing and taking in the carnage. GL to whomever takes my place

-Lee
Sorry to see you go, and good luck with the relatives.

Koles has now been added to the roster.
without your noses.
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Doc Paterson wrote:If we do get the waiting list up to 16, how would people feel about the tournament doubling in size? I'm up for it, but let me know what you all think. Too wild?
I wouldnt mind if the tournament would have one more elimintion round ( half of us are going to play only one round anyway ). Thats for you as an organiser to deside, doc. There are at least a couple of players I know of who would like to join the tournament, but they know that all the places are filled, ant there is a waiting list too. You should deside and openly say whether there will be more places in the tournament or not. If there is another round and there are less than 32 players in the end ( which is likely to happen ) you could give the most famous players ( we all know who they are so it's needless to name them ) a free pass to the second round. If not, you should state that the invitation part is over and come out with the pairs for the first round. Or even with the entire tournament tree if you deside to determine the matchups of every round at the start.
Last edited by Mythological on September 3rd, 2006, 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Doc Paterson wrote:
JW wrote:omg...you cant possibly do all these matches in 1 day...
Oh, I guess this wasn't clear- It's only one round per day.
With that this tournament might go into the next year, I haven't figured it out yet.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm