[Complete] * * * Tournament of Champions: 9/9/06, 18:00 GMT * * *

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

[Complete] * * * Tournament of Champions: 9/9/06, 18:00 GMT * * *

Post by Doc Paterson »

Isn't it about time that we gave the "Big Tournament" concept another go?

Consider this a test of whether or not strict, well-defined, easily-understood rules will allow the completion of the first real Wesnoth tournament in ages.

I know that there are a lot of players out there interested in testing their swords in serious competition, and this, provided we get the solid tournout that I'm guessing we will, is the perfect opportunity.

Tournament Rules

1. Entry is limited to 16 players. Players will be added to the roster in the order in which they sign up (post below). Do not sign up if you can not agree to be on the server to play at 18:00 (6:00PM) GMT on September the 9th. The second round of the tournament will be held on the following week, September 16th, at the same time. If these times aren’t fitting with your schedule, but you are interested in Wesnoth tournaments in general, post up with the timespans in which you are available. With enough interest, I’ll try to set up other tournaments at later dates, centered around other time slots.

(By the way, for any Americans not used to using GMT and such, I'll save you the research by telling you that's 1:00 PM on our east coast. :P )

2. First round matchups will be selected by a shadowy government figure.

3. In the first round, players will face their opponents in a best-of-three series, with the standard settings of Fog, 100g and 2gpv, on the newest version of the 2p map Den of Onis, and the most current version of Wesnoth available on said dates. If you do not have the newest version of the Den of Onis map, (which is newer than the one released with 1.1.9) you can find it here:

http://star.walagata.com/w/paterson/AugustDenofOnis.txt

(If you don’t know how to install a map, just ask.)

For all rounds, player sides will be initially determined by coin toss, and will switch after every game.

4. All other rounds will also be played with standard settings on the most current version of Wesnoth. Round Two will be a best-of-five series. The first match will be played on Charge. The second match will be played on Den of Onis. The third match will be played on Blitz. The fourth match, if neccessary, on Meteor Lake, and the fifth, again on Charge. Like round one, turn sides will be, at first, determined randomly, then will switch after every game.

Round Two
game 1: Charge
game 2: Den of Onis
game 3: Blitz
game 4: Meteor Lake
game 5: Charge

5. Choose your faction or go random; whatever suits you.

6. A player who does not show up for their matches (I’ll allow a 20 minute margin of error here) will be disqualified, and their opponent will advance to the next round.

7. Players should save all replays and PM or email them to me at tellmewherethebombis@hotmail.com.

8. I’m going to do my best to proctor this tournament, but additional volunteers (people who’d like to spectate but not necessarily play in the tournament) are welcome. Post up if you’d like to be a volunteer proctor.

9. Should any issues of game crashes or disconnects arise, we’ll try to work things out in a manner agreeable to both players. (Another reason why additional proctors might be useful. I’ll be watching multiple games from different windows, but still, the added set of eyes would be a help.)

10. To clarify, the “most current version of Wesnoth� means that we’re running this tournament on the Dev branch, or 1.2, should that drop before the start of the tournament. I wouldn’t dream of trying to run a balanced tournament on 1.0.2. To anyone having doubts about the stability of the recent Dev releases, I’ll say, “Don’t worry. I mean it. Stop worrying this instant.� I’ve not found any of the recent Dev releases to be any less stable than 1.0.2.

Any other questions? Post them up.

The Roster

1. KShinji
2. Becephalus
3. Nickname
4. Mythological
5. Suvorov
6. Dragon Master
7. Kollle
8. Yogibear
9. JW
10. Soliton
11. Koles
12. Squig
13. Pietro
14. Wintermute
15. x4ro
16. Dragonking
Last edited by Doc Paterson on September 22nd, 2006, 7:23 pm, edited 27 times in total.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I think the time is not really good for people from Europe especially not for people from middle and east Europe. Most European countries have GMT+1 so its 11:00 when the tournament starts and since serious 1v1 games can last for far more than an hour it might be 2:00 in the moring when they could go to bed. It is possible of course but not very comfortable. But on the other hand side you can't really start earlier because people from the west coast would at not be home from school/work at this time.

This is why I am not going to play myself but I am looking forward to observe the first part of the games and watch some great replays.

Do the winners of the best of three games play in KO system for the crown?

Great idea and thanks for the effort btw :D
Last edited by Baufo on August 31st, 2006, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

You know i have problems with english language. Does "entry limited" means no players can sign up after you get 12?

If not, id like to singup.

If yes, id like to signup too, but if this blocks a place for someone who could actually play well, then id allow him play insead of me.

edit:

And about the time, id propose 5th or 12th August rather, and then 17 GMT, what gives 20 for Moscow, and 8 for Alaska, thus allowing everyone interested to play and/or observe.
Last edited by kshinji on August 31st, 2006, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

In fact, I've rethought the time.

I've been trying to determine a good "average" for the different groups of players, and somewhat stupidly forgot that times of availability are differrent on a weekend such as Saturday. I'm going to set the new time to 18:00 GMT.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Having further explored the level of interest in this tournament, I'm upping the max number of entrants to 16. That won't change again though, I promise. :wink:
without your noses.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Baufo wrote:I think the time is not really good for people from Europe especially not for people from middle and east Europe. Most European countries have GMT+1 so its 11:00 when the tournament starts and since serious 1v1 games can last for far more than an hour it might be 2:00 in the moring when they could go to bed. It is possible of course but not very comfortable. But on the other hand side you can't really start earlier because people from the west coast would at not be home from school/work at this time.

This is why I am not going to play myself but I am looking forward to observe the first part of the games and watch some great replays.

Do the winners of the best of three games play in KO system for the crown?

Great idea and thanks for the effort btw :D
Its saturday. If you're not prepared to stay up till 5 in the morning to play, you aren't a real gamer. (man thats dorkish to say)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

sure I am in :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

Count me in too
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Sign me up as well.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Oh, i looked at the worng page of calendary. If its saturday, im surely into it.
But well, if you get more than 16 players it would be nice to allow them all playing, cause i guess that ill lose all matches if there will be no newb for me to beat. ^^
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Nickname

Post by Nickname »

I guess I'd like to be signed up myself.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

What about a "B-Tournament" for noobs like me?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Baufo wrote:What about a "B-Tournament" for noobs like me?
Nah.

Are you participating in this one?

(I'm hoping you will.)
without your noses.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Count me in, don't want to sound stupid but what does GMT mean? I live on east coast US if that helps. Sorry for the troubles, but I want to know exactly when to play.

Edit: whoops, didn't read the whole post :oops: . 1:00 o'clock it is then
Kollle

Post by Kollle »

I'll sign up too.

Oh, and for those of you unsure about the GMT thing, I found this nifty little site with a time zone map on it (just click on the map of the world). http://www.worldtimezone.com/