Thread of the N3T clan

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I'll definitely join; in fact I was thinking about making it myself. Suggestion: members cannot watch Survivor (a reality series) for the same reasons[1]...
Spam wrote:It's just a game.
sure, but the purpose of most games is to improve your skill, even without you realizing it. What skill does this improve? Ganging up on people? Backstabbing?
Becephalus wrote:A lot of the problems you cite really only occur when people do not know what they are doing.
that is only because your preconcieved notions[2] of "knowing what you're doing" are shared by many players... if they weren't, "knowing what you're doing" might cause you to lose.
Example: people always play defensively. You attack one of them, he retaliates. The other guy stands by while you fight, and kills you both later. Or, worse, you attack them both and they gang up on you.
Becephalus wrote:its easy enough to aovid them when organizing future games.
So you have to impose your standards of "good" playing on other people? The whole point of a game like Wesnoth is that the game determines what good playing is, not people.
Becephalus wrote:But life isn't fair either.
this is probably the most annoying defense of FFA... it is riidiculous. In real life, people are aligned with each other. Having enemies is an abnormal situation. Also, in real life the objective[3] is different. You're trying to help as many people as possible, rather than kill them... Most importantly, God rules over the world, while he does not care as much what happens in Wesnoth...
Becephalus wrote:And if you are good at FFAs you WILL win more often than not.
only if you play with people who are similarly "good"...
Becephalus wrote:This is a good type of play for those who like Diplomacy/Risk or other multisided boards games.
true.
Becephalus wrote:Of course when the top 1v1 player would come to FFA they would always get their asses handed to them
:roll: if you put the top two 1v1 players against the top FFA player, I think we know who would win... don't use biased contests as evidence[4].
Darth Fool wrote:I hereby announce the Free For All clan. There are no restrictions on membership, and you don't even need to let anyone no you are a part of it. After all, it is free for all.
I join...

A final defense: the words 'with' and 'against', which I use in this post, are clearly intended for the context of non-FFA games. FFA must use ambiguous idioms like "free for all" to describe itself... what kind of a concept is that?
Becephalus wrote:End of Sermon :)
(BTW, sorry if I sound upset, but this is on my list of the Top Ten Problems with the World :wink: )

[1] Survivor has worse problems as well...
[2] I don't usually use this phrase, but it seems like the only way to say this... and anyway, it's a game :wink:
[3] By 'objective', I mean what people attempt to find strategies for doing when they are not actually doing it. For example right now, we could be talking about how to win at Wesnoht, or how to implement democracy...
[4] I'm not saying that my contest is fair. That's my point...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Welcome aboard, Dacyn! I hereby grant you the title "Defender of the N3T."
Last edited by Sapient on February 25th, 2006, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'd like to welcome our newest members: Wesker and Josh

Clan N3T thanks you for your continued acts of valor in defending the cause.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Sapient wrote:Baufo: That's right. All you have to do is post in the thread of the N3T clan proclaiming your membership, and then I'll grant you an appropriate title. 8)
Well then...

*proclaims membership*
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

At last, a fresh recruit who understands the virtues of our cause. Welcome to our awesome clan of incredible power, Baufo!

Now, I just have to think of an appropriate title for you. Hmmm...

Your title is: Knight Who Says 'N3T'!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

You can officially add me to the 'enemies of the N3T's list ;-) I myself like 1vs1vs1s, even if I do loose most of them... Furthermore basing a clan on not playing 1vs1vs1s, in my humble opinion, is a little demented (no personal affront intended).
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hm, i know it's old thread, but i came here somehow, and wanted to say a few words:
edit: uhm... :-) a mistake

when one players is almost losing in 1v1v1 and twosensible players are his enemies, they will stop attacking him, because it's getting too risky.Especially, if the map is based not on circle but triangle or even if the onlyway to castle of other player is through choke point in centre of map.

I used to play a lo of 1v1v1 and diplomatic skill is important there - what some of you might find unbalancing or something, but i don't. I'll just say that players can be either silly, average or diplomat. To the power of players that they would have in 1v1, you must add the number of sillies, if player is diplomat, or remove a a lot if player is silly and theres only one diplomat on the map. And the better diplomat gets far better use of silliness of other players.

I know it might not be what you expect from wesnoth, but from time to time one can play even pwnx0rin 5gpv 30%exp 1000 gold AoH on Lagoon, as long as it's just for fun.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Wow I am a Knight! :D
(Funny since horsemen are my favorite default era unit)

kshinji: It are excatly the required diplomatic skills of 3 team games I don't like because they have nothing to do with your Wesnoth skills.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Baufo wrote:Wow I am a Knight! :D

kshinji: It are excatly the required diplomatic skills of 3 team games I don't like because they have nothing to do with your Wesnoth skills.
IMHO, diplomacy is a very important skill, in real life and in Wesnoth. Like kshinji just said, it is essential for 3 player ffa's.

Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Taurus wrote:
Baufo wrote:Wow I am a Knight! :D

IMHO, diplomacy is a very important skill, in real life and in Wesnoth. Like kshinji just said, it is essential for 3 player ffa's.
I agree with the real life point but in Wesnoth I want to prove my Wesnoth skills not my diplomacy skills. At all I think that ffa can never be played seriously, only for fun (and in Wesnoth I think ffa fun starts with 6 or maybe 5 players)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Baufo wrote: I agree with the real life point but in Wesnoth I want to prove my Wesnoth skills not my diplomacy skills.
What I am trying to say is that, who says that diplomacy isn't a Wesnoth skill?

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

3-player FFAs may improve "diplomacy", but they do not improve diplomacy.

(I feel no need to explain this comment.)

BTW, I'm also applying for membership. Not that I play MP much, but when I do I vow to never play 3T.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Well said, Turin and Baufo!

And for joining us with such works of wisdom, I must ponder long and hard to come up with a suitable title for Turin, some befitting an old geezer!

I mean, he already has so many titles, I'll have to think of something impressive. *Sapient ponders long and hard*

Ah, yes. Turin I grant thee the title: "Enlightened Clan Magus"

Welcome aboard! Also, Taurus has been added to the official enemy list (as per his request). And kshinji... get your own thread. :p

Here's the current roster:
{edit-- clan roster moved to first post of thread}
Last edited by Sapient on November 28th, 2006, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_of_Wesnoth

Confused...

Post by Lord_of_Wesnoth »

:? Is not clan “NChP� (No Chicken Play)? :P
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Taurus wrote:
Baufo wrote: I agree with the real life point but in Wesnoth I want to prove my Wesnoth skills not my diplomacy skills.
What I am trying to say is that, who says that diplomacy isn't a Wesnoth skill?
Me.
:twisted: