AMLA Brainstorming Thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think Great Mages, Silver Mages, and Dark Sorcerers should get this one:

Elemental Diversity: Gain an additional (slightly weaker) magic attack of the opposite element.

Also for Dark Sorcerers and Liches:

Imitate Holiness: Gain an additional (slightly weaker) magic attack that deals holy damage.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
toms

Post by toms »

Sapient wrote:You mean "not good" as in "good"? 8)

Remember, Dave said no criticizing yet. :P
No, I meant that a dark socerer shouldn´t do holy damage. It would be the same as a mage of light had a cold attack or a wose holding a torch. :roll:

Dwarf Berserker: Crusher-gives a mace or an impact berserk weapon or so.
Dwarf Lord: Hammerartist(not a good name)-gives the hammer magical
(this isn´t very god because it´s like the runemaster)
Spectre: Shadow-walker -gives nightstealth
Elvish Outrider: Windrider - +1 movepoints
Dwarf Sentinel: Spearthrower - stronger ranged attack
Stonewarden - more resistant against physical weapons

All: Battle Strategist - (20%) less xp require for next AMLA.
:?: 8)
Last edited by toms on January 27th, 2006, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Haven't you played PhantasyStar? The final boss does holy damage. It is not uncommon for extremely villainous figures to appear as angelic forms in their final incarnation. They make a mockery of holiness, which is the ultimate form of evil.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

aelius wrote:I'll suggest that AMLAs that strengthen a unit's weaknesses are a bad thing (TM). They will only make the game's units more homogenous.
On the whole, for the most part, I think I agree with this. However, I think it would be alright to have some, limited, exceptions. For instance, I like the idea of having a high-level elf be able to learn swimming and move quicker across water, but I think it isn't necessary to also give him improved defense in water, because we're not trying to turn him into a merman (for that, just recall one of your mermen), we just want to be able to get him to the other side of the river or whatever. Along similar lines, if a given merman unit can by AMLA gain improved movement on land, the same unit should not be able to also get improved defense on land, because we're not trying to turn it into a land unit, just get it from the castle to the water faster or whatever. In these cases the bonuses can enhance the player's ability to use the units where they'll do well, rather than turning them into a different type of unit, and a player who needs to _hold_ a ford against an advancing enemy will still want mermen or something along those lines.
Rune

Post by Rune »

Here's a suggestion for all units: How about having the option of getting healed completely like you do when you level normally? If you choose this option you will not get ANY other AMLA benefits.
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

I think that for these AMLAs the screen should ask what "technique" you want your unit to learn. So a "technique" whose name would fit would be shadow-walking not shadow-walker as one learns shadow-walking, one does not learn shadow-walker. Just a suggestion to standardize the names of the AMLAs.

Dwarf Berserker:

Shadowdancing: Gives nightstalk and chaotic (don't know if the latter is possible, yet this is a brainstorm :P )

Hammer-wielding: Would give a secondary hammer attack with slightly less damage, impact, and berserk

Patience: Gives 10% more defence in grassland, forest, and hills and on defence the berserker only uses the berserk ability when his chance to kill is 80% or greater (Aggresion may not be chosen)

Agression: +1 to # of melee attacks and to damage # (Patience may not be chosen)

Fearlessness: When HP is reduced to 50% or less or when the Berserker has 2+ units units next to it his attack values increase by 50%
In summation, you're wrong.
Ask_

Post by Ask_ »

A couple of AMLA ideas inspired by this thread.

For any lawful/chaotic unit:

Total cleansing/Total corruption: all lawful/chaotic effects for this unit are increased twofold (with default day and night it will mean 50% instead of 25% damage bonus/malus).

Champion of Law/Champion of Chaos: ignore negative daytime effects when fighting units of opposing alignment. (e.g. Champion of Law will hit chaotic units at night with normal damage, but neutral and lawful units with reduced damage).

I imagine Total corruption+Champion of Chaos combination will be overpowered, so perhaps only one of these advances could be allowed for any particular unit.
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

I'm glad you were inspired by one of my ideas Ask. :D

I've since given up on having this idea implemented, but I like your idea to have total corruption/cleansing. And toms, those aren't even close to overpowered. Current level ups give a 60%+ increase to damage. Doubling the chaotic/lawful effects would give a 25% bonus 1/3 of the time so it's equal to an 8% increase. Same thing for cancelling the negative effects of day for chaotic units and night for lawful units. So, I would even say that this AMLA is underpowered. Perhaps an HP bonus could be granted as well.
Jose Luis

Post by Jose Luis »

If a unit increases a 50% anything each AMLA, it will get too powerful.

An example. If we increase a 50% with 16 hp, we will obtain
16, 24, 36, 54, 81,120,180
This is an exponential growth. I think that something more apropiate is arithmetical growth:
16, 32, 48, 54, 70, 86,102
Note that the first level is a 100% increasing, the second a 50%, but the percentage decreases (this is more similar to the actual levels, I think).
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: AMLA Brainstorming Thread

Post by Eleazar »

Dave wrote:...we want to give unit-specific AMLA advancement opportunities. In general advancement options would only be of mild power, though we could temper more powerful options by making them take up much more experience.

The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm different AMLA ideas for specific units. So please post ideas for AMLA possibilities for various units. Darth Fool and I will look over the ideas and try and implement the ones we like.

The purpose of this thread is NOT to start a debate on whether this is a good idea or not... I will delete any posts which are the least bit argumentative. If you want to argue that this is a bad idea, you may start another thread in a different forum...
...Reiteration for those who seem to have already forgotten the rules of this topic.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

Elvish Champion

Glory: Every time Elvish Champion kills a unit it functions as the ability heal does at the beginning of turns.

Inner Fire: Gains 30% resistance to blade, pierce, and fire. Takes 50% more damage from cold attacks.

Pillager: Gains a fire attack that deals 2 less damage per strike than the champion's standard melee attack. This attack would have the ability Pillager which would grant this attack a 10% greater chance to hit when attacking units in villages.

Hand-to-Hand Mastery I, II etc.: All melee attacks deal 4 additional damage per strike per level of Hand-to-Hand Mastery.

Bow Mastery I, II etc.: The Champion's bow attack deals 3 additional damage per strike per level of Bow Mastery.

Strength of the Forest I, II etc.: Grants an HP bonus of 14 per level of Strength of the Forest.
Last edited by Duke Guillermo on February 5th, 2006, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hate: Extra damage against specific race.

piercing: Archer ignores resistance from pierce

untenable: Can move 1 hex further after sucessful kill of an enemy unit

discipline: one missed attack will be repeated (4 attacks 2 have missed one missed will be repeated)
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Pious - Melee attacks become holy

Irreverent - +10% resistance to holy

Telekinesis - Gain a weak ranged impact magical attack.

Fission - The unit splits into 2 of its lower level form(ie: Elvish Champion splits
into two Elvish Heroes)

Rebel - the unit becomes Neutral if Lawful, Chaotic if Neutral.

Disciplinarian - Becomes Nuetral if Chaotic, Lawful if Neutral.

Xenophobe - Gains a 10% attack increase when fighting units that are not of the same alignment
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

Lancer

Accuracy: Gains marksman on his melee attacks

Hit-and-Run Warfare: Gains a 12-1 attack that doesn't fully deplete the lancer's moves upon the killing of the enemy. Instead, 4 MPs are removed.

Armourment I, II etc.: At the cost of 2 MPs the Lancer gains 22 HP

Husbandry I, II etc.: Grants 2 additional MPs for each level of Husbandry(useful when combined with Hit-and-Run Warfare and Armourment for which additional MPs are very useful)

Skill I, II etc.: The lancer gains 4 additional damage per hit per level of Skill.
Last edited by Duke Guillermo on February 5th, 2006, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

DG: some of those abilites are actually more powerful than a standard level-up! You might consider toning them down a little. (read: a whole lot ;))
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.