AMLA is good!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UDD

Post by UDD »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:
ךםך
The code is broken.
The more you know...
Code?
That's hebrew you know... That is, it looks like hebrew if you have the correct fonts.
Dave wrote:
UDD wrote:I wonder, when does overflow occour?
Is it 32767 (usually integer) or 16 million and something (usually long), or some other magical number?
Wesnoth uses the C++ data type 'int' to store most numbers.

On most systems int has 31 bits of precision (with one bit for the sign). This means that overflow won't occur until 2^31 (around two billion).

I don't think anyone is going to reach numbers of this magnitude in any reasonable scenario.

David
Thanks.
I was thinking about the C int (which is 32767), which I've seen appear quite often (well, not often, but more often that you'd expet) as an overflow in commercial games.

I'm still a novice/beginner in programming. :?
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

UDD wrote:And... I obviously have to say "LOL". or ךםך which looks like "LOL" flipped 180 degrees (or π) if you have hebrew fonts. It is also typed by clicking the same keys as LOL. Its unpronounceable though, and illegible as well.
It's easily pronounceable if you assume vowels, which, since vowels are frequently not written in Hebrew anyhow, is reasonable. If it were a verb, it might be prounounced with a qamets-pathach pattern ("kamak", with the first a as in "father" and the second a as in "pack"). I don't know that it has any meaning though, and having the ending form of a letter on the beginning of a word is a bit odd. Another possibility would be to assume the first kaph is an inseparable preposition, which would probably lead to a vocal shewa on the first syllable and most likely pathach on the second, and you'd figure that one consonant from the root got lost due to some whim of morphology, e.g., a he dropping off or somesuch. That still doesn't explain why the first kaph is written with the ending form, though.

What I want to know is how he got the forum to correctly display it from right to left. I don't mean just the symetry; when I drag to highlight in Firefox, from the word before, the flow jumps right to the first Hebrew letter, flows left over the others, and then jumps right again to resume the English sentence. Surely Gecko isn't smart enough to automatically do that on its own?

Incidentally, in most fonts, samekh would look more like o than mem does.
UDD

Post by UDD »

jonadab wrote: Incidentally, in most fonts, samekh would look more like o than mem does.
Well, obviously I used mem because its the letter you get by pressing the "o" key. A key component in "lol".
jonadab wrote:It's easily pronounceable if you assume vowels, which, since vowels are frequently not written in Hebrew anyhow, is reasonable. If it were a verb, it might be prounounced with a qamets-pathach pattern ("kamak", with the first a as in "father" and the second a as in "pack"). I don't know that it has any meaning though, and having the ending form of a letter on the beginning of a word is a bit odd. Another possibility would be to assume the first kaph is an inseparable preposition, which would probably lead to a vocal shewa on the first syllable and most likely pathach on the second, and you'd figure that one consonant from the root got lost due to some whim of morphology, e.g., a he dropping off or somesuch. That still doesn't explain why the first kaph is written with the ending form, though.
The mem is in its ending form as well, which is why I said the word is unpronounceable.
If you were to replace the kaf and mem with their "normal" forms you'd get an easily pronounceable (although completely meaningless) word. It would probably be pronounced as kamak, like you said.
jonadab wrote:What I want to know is how he got the forum to correctly display it from right to left. I don't mean just the symetry; when I drag to highlight in Firefox, from the word before, the flow jumps right to the first Hebrew letter, flows left over the others, and then jumps right again to resume the English sentence. Surely Gecko isn't smart enough to automatically do that on its own?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. :?
Oh, by the way, Jonadab = יונדב ?
~
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

UDD wrote:Well, obviously I used mem because its the letter you get by pressing the "o" key. A key component in "lol".
Ah. I had missed that nuance because I don't have the sort of keyboard setup that allows for directly typing such things. (I can type printable ASCII characters and, umm, printable ASCII characters. Anything else means either using entities or copy and paste. Back in the day, when I used DOS, I used to be able to type control characters and 8-bit IBM Extended ASCII characters, but if current OSes make provisions for this I have not discovered how.)
UDD wrote:The mem is in its ending form as well
Ah, I failed to notice that. (It's actually rather similar in this font at such small sizes... Oddly, I never have any trouble distinguishing Latin characters at those sizes, but the Hebrew ones seem to need to be a bit larger to show the tittles and things.)
jonadab wrote:What I want to know is how he got the forum to correctly display it from right to left. I don't mean just the symetry; when I drag to highlight in Firefox, from the word before, the flow jumps right to the first Hebrew letter, flows left over the others, and then jumps right again to resume the English sentence. Surely Gecko isn't smart enough to automatically do that on its own?
UDD wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. :?
Notice in this little bit of screenshot that the Hebrew letters read from right to left, as they ought. Clearly, however, you typed them in the usual order (the yod first, the beth last), as is evident when I start highlighting, since as you can see after the "dab" part of the English name the highlight goes to the yod next (again, as it ought), not the beth. Is this just the layout entine of my browser being smart enough to know to lay them out rtl just because of the character set they happen to come from, or is the forum styling them that way somehow?
UDD wrote:Oh, by the way, Jonadab = יונדב ?
Yes.
Attachments
Screenshot showing RTL layout of Hebrew characters.
Screenshot showing RTL layout of Hebrew characters.
Hebrew-Jonadab-rtl.png (4.65 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

UDD wrote:I was thinking about the C int (which is 32767), which I've seen appear quite often (well, not often, but more often that you'd expet) as an overflow in commercial games.
In C, ints are defined the same way as in C++. That is, their size is not defined by the standard.

On most modern machines, ints are at least 32 bits in both C and C++.

On 16 bit Intel architectures, ints were generally 16 bits.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
UDD

Post by UDD »

jonadab wrote:Notice in this little bit of screenshot that the Hebrew letters read from right to left, as they ought. Clearly, however, you typed them in the usual order (the yod first, the beth last), as is evident when I start highlighting, since as you can see after the "dab" part of the English name the highlight goes to the yod next (again, as it ought), not the beth. Is this just the layout entine of my browser being smart enough to know to lay them out rtl just because of the character set they happen to come from, or is the forum styling them that way somehow?
Oh, I understand now.
I'm pretty sure its browser related, since this works in every forum I've tried (not that there's that many of them).
Dave wrote:In C, ints are defined the same way as in C++. That is, their size is not defined by the standard.

On most modern machines, ints are at least 32 bits in both C and C++.

On 16 bit Intel architectures, ints were generally 16 bits.

David
I just can't seem to get anything right, maybe I should just shut up then?
=P
Like I said, I'm just starting out (that is, I've been learning for quite some time, but very very slowly. This is not my fault though).
By the way, I've been learning a bit of Visual Basic (again, not my fault =P), and I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me why does the VB Boolean type take up 16 bits?
~
shinryuu

Post by shinryuu »

Wow, someone grabbed the ball and hurled it into the sun as far as topic goes :P

I wonder if that game is over?
America is a melting pot; the scum floats to the top and the people at the bottom get burned.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

shinryuu wrote:Wow, someone grabbed the ball and hurled it into the sun as far as topic goes :P
So, with AMLA, how many times would the ball have to toughen up before it could survive that?
JW

Post by JW »

jonadab wrote:
shinryuu wrote:Wow, someone grabbed the ball and hurled it into the sun as far as topic goes :P
So, with AMLA, how many times would the ball have to toughen up before it could survive that?
It can only AMLA 100 times, and that's at a progressively harder rate.

...it wouldn't survive...