Where should Wesnoth go next?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I think what we should pursue is implementing all those cool multiplayer features.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Adding these MP features, and NOT getting distracted to all the cool sounding proposals that are not really necessary. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Re: Where should Wesnoth go next?

Post by dtw »

Dave wrote:Since 1.0 has been released I've been considering the direction Wesnoth should take now. I'm still coming up with an answer, and I feel I should use feedback from users and developers.

So, where does the community think Wesnoth should go next? What would you most like to see happen with Wesnoth?
As stated before I would just like to see the initially planned graphics and sounds completed ASAP or they will never get done and Wesnoth will remain half finished for eternity
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

*Someone made some time ago "3D images" for the game (tower if iam right)...

U said Wesnoth would maybe implement that kind of "3D" as it was Wesnothian 3D in a future (u said after 1.0 :D ) ^^

*But MP Campaigns would also be fine...

*I think a great idea would to improve the Campaign server...

*And how about making "games" for Wesnoth like the Westhbowl ???

*Update the campaign server delting or putting the campaigns which doesnt run into another place...

*Make new tiles for houses...
Elfs cathedrals in a recent discovered terrain hurts my eyes :D...

*Make that towers can atack more than 1 hexe...

*Try that also crosman can attack more than 1 hexe, maybe two... (I know this has allready been discused)...

*Implement in the game the only drake campaign made which is perfect :D
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

Polishing the game would be a good first step I think

- more interface themes
- better campaign server
- more terrain variety
- more items variety
- more sounds
- finish animations
- better multiplayer interface

I'd like to see a bit more variety in the gameplay itself.

- new abilities (both auras and unit abilities)
- new spells (or a new type of magic abilities)
- new factions (high elves and more humans)
- new game types for MP (tournament support?)

Than the external tools:

- strengthen the map editor
- feature-rich campaign editor (with translation tools integrated!)
- unit editor (unit stats, animations, and factions)

That would be more than enough to keep the campaign builders very busy. Would keep new content flowing in - then we'll all be too busy playing and building to care anymore about new features!
unsung

Post by unsung »

Pythagoras wrote: Multiplayer campaigns (built upon the KISS principle, of course)
Continue to improve music
A "second" tutorial for teaching more advanced tactics.

This is hard with a game that's near perfect IMO...
dwarf music is ear-spltting.
oddly enough, I think the drakes suits them in an odd way....

but yeah, neew dwarf music, m campiagns, a better tutorial and a more advanced one.....
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Cironir

Post by Cironir »

Further improving the graphics (more animations, for instance) is always a good approach. Wesnoth is one of the very few open source games of high, near-commercial quality. Even now the multiplayer-mode is better than what some commercial strategy games have to offer. But to the "average" gamer, especially in the Windows market, "looks" matter. It may be silly and irrelevant, but it's easier to keep improving the artwork than to change the world. :)

I still think Wesnoth needs a fourth difficulty mode: one below easy. The game's very hard and I believe that the hard easy mode scares away some people who could be "eased in".
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Cironir wrote:I still think Wesnoth needs a fourth difficulty mode: one below easy. The game's very hard and I believe that the hard easy mode scares away some people who could be "eased in".
That's because campaigns are made by people who are skilled Wesnoth players. What easy for them is is not always easy for newcomers.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Alex Mars

Post by Alex Mars »

I think the game would benefit from a GUI controlled utility to set up the .cfg file that goes with a map.
-Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
scott

Post by scott »

You might say the map is the rectangle of letters that goes with a config file, but I see your point. It's being worked on (see the CampGen thread in the campaign thread).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

Pythagoras wrote:Continue to make Wesnoth more extensible as a game engine.
Multiplayer campaigns (built upon the KISS principle, of course)
Continue to improve artwork & music
nitpick: Rework or get rid of the "undo move" feature (not KISS enough, too many exceptions when you cant undo)
A "second" tutorial for teaching more advanced tactics.

This is hard with a game that's near perfect IMO...
I really like undo and the way it works. Often it is faster to try something and back it out if it doesn't turn out like you think than to have to check everything before doing anything you aren't absolutely sure of.
While it is annoying to not be able to use this feature as often when there is a fog or shroud (especially when you are used to it), but it is still a good feature to have.
I think it is one of the features that makes the game standout over commercial games.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

nonobots wrote:Polishing the game would be a good first step I think

- better campaign server
What were you specifically thinking of for the campaign server? I have been making some simple changes in the 1.1 branch and have documented the WML (on the wiki) used in by people who want to write other clients that talk to it.
I still have a couple of other minor changes I wanted to make before I asked to have the campaign server changed to use the 1.1 version.
Since I am looking at this code already, I might be able to implement some other changes that appeared to be useful and that are within my capabilities.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

I would like to see backwards compatible changes (with respect to 1.0 clients) be made in the 1.0 tree. This could include bug fixes, new downloadable campaigns, new art, new music and a few feature additions (mostly on the server side).
I would like to see a 1.1 branch that continues in the same vein as the current game, but allows for releases to be incompatible, so that players interested in this version will need to stay uptodate. Eventually there would be a stable 1.2 series at which point it would be time to rethink the future again.
nonobots

Post by nonobots »

bruno wrote:
nonobots wrote:Polishing the game would be a good first step I think

- better campaign server
What were you specifically thinking of for the campaign server? I have been making some simple changes in the 1.1 branch and have documented the WML (on the wiki) used in by people who want to write other clients that talk to it.
I still have a couple of other minor changes I wanted to make before I asked to have the campaign server changed to use the 1.1 version.
Since I am looking at this code already, I might be able to implement some other changes that appeared to be useful and that are within my capabilities.
A flag of some sort that says the version on the server is more recent than the local one. The description of the campaign should be visible. Just the name is not enough of a teaser. More disctinction between factions, campaigns and other stuff. That's about all I have in mind.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

And removal of campaigns that shouldn't be on the server in the first place. Someone please remove Classical Era Fixed! PLEASE!

I also think that several other campaigns should be removed, but that is for quality reasons, not because, as with Classical Era Fixed, it shouldn't be there in the first place.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm