Windows User Preferences Location

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ekolis

Windows User Preferences Location

Post by ekolis »

First off, I must say that this is one EXCELLENT game, one that the developers have obviously poured many laborious hours into (heck, it's the only tile-bsed game I can think of where the terrain on one tile actually affects the graphics of adjacent tiles - imagine how much work THAT must have taken :shock: )...
One thing I must complain about, though, is the location of the user preference files. On Linux, they're stored in the user's home folder, which is all fine and dandy - each user gets his or her own preferences. But on Windows, they're stored, for some perverse reason, in the main game directory under c:\Program Files! Ack! Now I can't have different game preferences (player name, battle replay speed, and all sorts of things which really tick me off when they're set wrong) from my brother! :(
Is there any chance of this changing anytime soon? Modern Windows versions such as might be able to run Wesnoth have user directories, so why not use them?
Thanks once again, though, for this great game! :D
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Seperating the files will make it very confusing. At least that's what I think. Personally, I can't find anything on Linux and know where everything is on Windows.
ekolis

Post by ekolis »

How about a, umm, global preference for which preference style you prefer? Or is that going a bit too far? :lol:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think it's a good idea, but will probably only happen if/when we get a developer who really cares enough about the Windows way of doing things to make it work nicely on Windows.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

I think it would be best to store the preferences for each user separately like is done in every other OS. I'm sure there's a way to do it since applications like Firefox can do it. I guess someone would have to care enough to implement it. I personally don't care because I use other operating systems when I play and only one person uses the windows machine to play Wesnoth.
Corwin
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

I suppose that, on Win32, making the preferences directory a subdirectory of getenv("AppData") , (like what is done with getenv("HOME") on Unix-like systems), should just do the trick.