The appearance of the NO FOG clan.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Breeblebox wrote:Score:4, Insightful
Score:0, Copycat :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Breeblebox wrote:Score:4, Insightful
Score:0, Copycat :P
Yeah, you got me, I read slashdot too....

;]
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

SPAM!.

Yeah, i know, but i think this thread needed some honest to god spam after the blue letters.

Also, no fog is ok for small maps, i'm sure in a small skirmish, you should be able to see the enemy troops clearly, now to respond to their moves...in bigger maps, however, the adding of fog may be welcome, and also it may come with a dash of realism.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Fog gives the map some realism when the map is mainly composed of marsh (marais)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

Maybe if fog didn't obscure quite SO closely? Maybe twice the movement range instead of movement range +1?

Then it's a lot harder to achieve tactical surprise, but just as easy to achieve strategic surprise.

I know, changing the rules of the game, blah blah...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Also, no fog is ok for small maps, i'm sure in a small skirmish, you should be able to see the enemy troops clearly, now to respond to their moves...in bigger maps, however, the adding of fog may be welcome, and also it may come with a dash of realism.
And I usually play rather small maps, so when I play, I 1,, know what faction they're using immediately anyway, 2., can probably see the entire front by turn 3, as well as a bit behind it if I'm using bats, and 3., find fog more of an annoyance than anything, because it doesn't block any information I don't already have except what type the enemy leader is (which is usually irrelevant, since if you get to their leader you've won anyway), but it makes me not able to undo my moves half the time.

As to what people have said about undo not being necessary to the game, I strongly disagree. In chess, there is no such thing as a 'misclick'. In wesnoth, it is extremely easy to click in one hex when you mean another, and thus make a really dumb move. It happens to me all the time. Normally, you could undo that move, but with fog, you often can't; that doesn't add to the strategy, it just pisses people off.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:In chess, there is no such thing as a 'misclick'.
Apparently you've never played chess using a computer/GUI based interface.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Dave wrote:
Or at chess competitions.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Anyhow, perhaps a partial solution to mis-clicking in FoW games is if we made it so if you press 'escape' while a unit is moving, the unit stops where it's at. That way, you might still have the chance to correct your mis-click.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Dave wrote:Anyhow, perhaps a partial solution to mis-clicking in FoW games is if we made it so if you press 'escape' while a unit is moving, the unit stops where it's at. That way, you might still have the chance to correct your mis-click.

David
Another option includes having a few seconds grace period (like one or two) after a movement that allows you to correct an error (by pressing escape or undo).
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:
Oh, I have; there's a reason I don't anymore.

And at chess competitions, it is a bit different. Yes, if you touch a piece you have to move it, but its really, really hard to accidentally drop a piece in the wrong place. I've never seen it happen. But, it happens to me in Wesnoth all the time.

I think having such a 'grace period' would probably just get frustrating, since you have to wait 1-2 seconds after the move for it to happen.

The best thing, IMHO, is to make it so not so many moves are un-undoable. Currently, if you move in a way that makes it so you can't see an area you could see earlier, you can't undo, AFAICT. This makes no sense, IMHO. If you can see an area at the beginning of your turn, it makes no sense for you to lose sight of that area until the end of your turn. Its a simple matter of giving players easier access to information they already have.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote: The best thing, IMHO, is to make it so not so many moves are un-undoable. Currently, if you move in a way that makes it so you can't see an area you could see earlier, you can't undo, AFAICT. This makes no sense, IMHO. If you can see an area at the beginning of your turn, it makes no sense for you to lose sight of that area until the end of your turn. Its a simple matter of giving players easier access to information they already have.
Well, along those lines, it would make sense to not update the "visible" area of the map until the end of a players turn. This would change the game dynamic, however, and wether it would be for the better or worse is up for debate. Another possible solution would be to have the visible area not updated after you move until you click on another unit. This would have the advantages of the delay update option without the annoyance of having to wait.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: That is why they call it an OPTION

Post by turin »

SwordFodder wrote:There really isn't anything to discuss - so i am not quite sure why i am posting exctpt to say - it is a game guys! The game has options, so why take out an option that is valuable to some - surprise, etc - and a distraction to others.
OAB*.
SwordFodder wrote:I personally could do without shroud - but i can see when i join that it is shrouded.
We're not talking about shroud, but about fog.
SwordFodder wrote:it doesn't help me win more games
Its not supposed to - its supposed to make the game more fun.

*:Options are bad... not always true, but usually.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: The best thing, IMHO, is to make it so not so many moves are un-undoable. Currently, if you move in a way that makes it so you can't see an area you could see earlier, you can't undo, AFAICT. This makes no sense, IMHO. If you can see an area at the beginning of your turn, it makes no sense for you to lose sight of that area until the end of your turn. Its a simple matter of giving players easier access to information they already have.
I agree with this -- a good point, and a good idea. I think this would be a reasonable change. I might even look into making it myself after 1.0.
turin wrote: *:Options are bad... not always true, but usually.
Well, my way of looking at it is that options are always bad. Just that occasionally the need for them outweighs how bad they are. I.e. "a necessary evil".

David