The appearance of the NO FOG clan.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Dragon of Flame wrote:What purpose is quoting something someone else said
uh...
Breeblebox wrote:Evish Pulmoner
is not a person.
I think the purpose of the post is to draw attention to EP's reference to non-persons "Braedlepox" and "Duck Pitterson"...
SmurF

Post by SmurF »

Good luck with ur clan Elvish NO FOG pillager ... lol.. .. i think ur going to have to wait.. a long long time.. to get enough players that agree/hate fog of war.. maybe you should work on cloneing?.. lol

good luck..

i'm not interested.. and i think its to early for wesnoth for clans..
I'm a smurf not a snork!
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I Pledge allegiance to the NO FOG clan. Note, I can't change my login name (marten) because I'd have to change my username (in my own computer) then. And since I'm not allowed to do that ....
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

In some maps, I like fog. So I'll never join this clan.
@King Arthur: will you never learn to be a bit less arrogant?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Wow. You crazies have managed to type two whole pages of nonsense overnight? I can't believe you did it without my help.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
kangounator

Post by kangounator »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Wow. You crazies have managed to type two whole pages of nonsense overnight? I can't believe you did it without my help.
lol
Tux2B wrote:In some maps, I like fog. So I'll never join this clan.
I think all the same about it, when you are playing with teams
"Draw me a sheep." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"And i sorry for my english." - tomsik
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

This thread is simply asking for pollution (why else would my fingers itch so much?)...
Doc Paterson wrote:This Clan is TRASH! :P
Hey, keep your own clan ideas to yourself :wink:. And start considering the map I sent you for inclusion... :P
Breeblebox wrote:Suprise is a tactic.
Not if both sides are equally surprised :D. I mean, I like to surprise opponents with my moves, not with my whereabouts or recruitment.
Dave wrote:Right. I'm off to log onto the server with the username 'Dave NO FOG NO SHROUD NO DRAKES PLZ MORTUIRI ONLY NO RECRUITING'.
I can smell a new feature here. Just select which game options you like or dislike before logging onto the server, and you get directed to your own private room where you can play with the AI using the exact optional ruleset... :cry: Of course we need icons, not uppercase chars :wink:
turin wrote:having "Turin NO FOG" would look dumb, IMHO. :)
The name could use some work: "unfoggies" (fogeys? dunno what that means though), "non-pea-soupers" - no, here's the one: the "sunnyboys". :wink:
Tux2B wrote:In some maps, I like fog.
So what about starting an unbeliever clan? One that doesn't mind fog on some maps but doesn't like it on others? I guess not, informed and differentiated opinion doesn't lend itself towards MP (= mass-) culture... :( :P
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Oh, I forgot to ask: what are clans for? (besides spicy forum discussions?)

</nerdness ignorance>
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

ryn wrote:well, I support the concept of fogless games, but Noy did say (and I have to agree) that all caps is quite annoying. Therefore, (and since my name is just as short as the word fog, which makes fitting 'fogless' or something into it seem quite stupid) I'll be playing as 'ryn' but preferring non-foggy games.

I don't plan to argue against or for fog and how it affects gameplay; the style is completely different, almost as if one is playing a different game. Nor do I plan to refute Noy's statement (forgive me for paraphrasing, I am willing to be corrected) that 'I can't win with fog' after a lost fog match; quite lame, because the skill of a player doesn't matter much if you don't plan to play him (note that Noy did not appear to have the will to play me at the time, and observed said match).
Sigh... First off, my whole statement about you not winning, was an affirmative to your earlier statement when you were waiting in a no fog game, and then nobody came. Oh wait, someone came, saw that it was no fog, said what garbage, and then promptly left. THEN you said, sigh, I guess I'll go and play a fog game and get beaten by some newb (or something thereabouts.) All I did was affirm your first statement.

Now Ryn, I don't know if you're new or something, but I think I've played my fair share of games. I also observe a lot of games. I wasn't interested in playing because I was doing some work on the side (which is why I normally don't play). But you went about saying that there was is no major strategies for wesnoth and some other highly inaccurate statements. So I followed you and engaged in discussion with you since for a second I thought you might have something to say.

You started using game theory as some reason why we don't know strategy. However game theory has nothing to do with strategy, it seeks to understand how individuals will interact with each other on a certain decision point. Game theory relies on rational actors, something that is highly contestable. It speaks nothing about doctrine, preconcieved biases or perceptions on situations when only imperfect information is available. If you read the greatest piece on strategy ever, Carl Von Clausewitz's On War, his whole book is aimed at debunking the scientific myth of perfectability in War. Although this is only a simulation of a War, and is missing one of the most important aspect of war; morale, it still retains enough complexity to make many of the principles true. This is why I personally don't like removing fog. It just "dumbs" the game down and removes another aspect of unpredicatability which enhances the game for me. The best matches for me are the ones I win when I either have poor luck or are at a severe disadvantage at the start because I didn't know something. If you are not careful, you can easily lose the game on the first turn. Some people may not enjoy that and thats fine.

Anyway, to understand this game we are left with strategy, basically probalistic claims based on mass observations. Watching how players develop doctrine for units, trying to develop our own doctrine and attempting to predict the effects of changes in doctrine and overall strategy. And thats what we do to balance the game. Observe and play alot, and see what strategies seem to win. Actually we do negative balancing. We try to curtail strategies that win all the time, and ensure that every strategy vis a vis each faction has a counter that the other faction can come up with.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Due to the comments of ryn, turin, etc, I no longer require members to change their names.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Noy wrote:removing fog.
- Fog is off by default, IIRC
- Most HttT levels do not have fog
- In configuration files, if 'fog=yes' is not specified then fog is off
"Removing fog" is not an accurate description. This game was designed to be played without fog; fog is just an option added for variety.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Oh no, please, don't remove fog!! :o
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Dacyn wrote:
Noy wrote:removing fog.
- Fog is off by default, IIRC
You do not recall correctly.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Dacyn wrote: - Fog is off by default, IIRC
You do not recall correctly.
No, you recall incorrectly and dacyn recalled correctly. ;)

HOWEVER, if you set it to fog for one game, the 'default' will become fog, just like if you set the GPV to 2, the 'default' will become 2.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

turin wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: You do not recall correctly.
No, you recall incorrectly and dacyn recalled correctly. ;)

HOWEVER, if you set it to fog for one game, the 'default' will become fog, just like if you set the GPV to 2, the 'default' will become 2.
I've never done a thing to it- I could swear that the PC version came with fog being on.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme