Have you considered using Slashdot to publicize Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bruno
Inactive Developer

Have you considered using Slashdot to publicize Wesnoth?

Post by bruno »

I think you could get a fair number of new players by getting an
article about the game on Slashdot. 0.9.3 is very good and I
don't think there would be any problem having a lot of people
try the game in its current state. A 1.0 announcement would
probably make a bigger splash, but it might be useful to get more
people to try out the game now.
I tried searching Slashdot to see if the game had been talked about
previously there and didn't come up with any hits. I originally
heard about the game from Linux Weekly News, but I think Slashdot
has a lot more readers.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think we should wait until 1.0... once that comes around, we could see if an announcement could be made. I'm not familiar with how Slashdot works, though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ankka

Re: Have you considered using Slashdot to publicize Wesnoth?

Post by Ankka »

bruno wrote:I think you could get a fair number of new players by getting an
article about the game on Slashdot. 0.9.3 is very good and I
don't think there would be any problem having a lot of people
try the game in its current state. A 1.0 announcement would
probably make a bigger splash, but it might be useful to get more
people to try out the game now.
I tried searching Slashdot to see if the game had been talked about
previously there and didn't come up with any hits. I originally
heard about the game from Linux Weekly News, but I think Slashdot
has a lot more readers.
Dave posted a thread somewhere where he linked to a slashdot discussion... try searching these forums.

Oh, and most of the people on slashdot discussing it at that time where not very keen on Wesnoth... it got pretty bad ratings.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

We've been talked about in comments several times on Slashdot, and there has been at least one 'mention' of Wesnoth on the front page, but it has never been the focus of a story.

In actual fact, comments on Slashdot about Wesnoth have been fairly split. Some people from Slashdot love it, and others don't, which is pretty much what I'd expect, especially considering how harsh Slashdot can be.

Anyhow, I've never submitted Wesnoth to Slashdot -- or many other sites at all -- because it seems too much like gratuitious self-promotion to me. If you think that Wesnoth is appropriate for Slashdot, then go right ahead and post it. I've said before that no-one needs permission to link to Wesnoth or write about it. :)

Certainly an influx of users right now could be a good thing for us to find bugs before the 1.0 release.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
AT

Post by AT »

I've been planning to submit a story about Wesnoth at 1.0.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
skullcrusher

Post by skullcrusher »

Be sure your server can handle the 'publicity'. The "slashdot affect" can bring even a steadfast server to its knees.
The true enemy is within yourself.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

skullcrusher wrote:Be sure your server can handle the 'publicity'. The "slashdot affect" can bring even a steadfast server to its knees.
I have discussed this before with our service provider, and he believes it can handle it. Importantly, our downloadable files are mostly hosted on SourceForge, which is known to be able to handle the Slashdot effect.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
grandemtn

Post by grandemtn »

I actually heard about Wesnoth through comments on Slashdot, and have enjoyed spending way too much time on it since :) I think it was version .9.1 when I first heard about it. Anyway, it's a fun game, once I got past the early learning curve. Thanks for the fun and keep up the good work!