The 0.9.3

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dark_whitecleou625

The 0.9.3

Post by dark_whitecleou625 »

Hey!!! Can somebody show me here in this forum about splitting files of 0.9.3 :lol: because I cant download the game because im only using dialled up!!!!! :oops: Its only 1.1kb/sec :twisted: and wesnoth is 0.9.3. It will take me 9 hrs to dload...so In this forum may ssomebody good heart will attach in this post new features such as death animations and the new campaign features for me to dload it to my desktop and MOVE IT TO MY 0.9.2 VERSION!!!(by the way, Im using mac)
Please....I would like to appreciate to those who will mail me at dark_cleou93@yahoo.com something about WESNOTH!!!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

You should ask a friend to download it and to give it you. Because otherwise it'll take too much time.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

actually it might be a good idea to make some small version of wesnoth, e.g no portraits, no death frames, no sound, basically all the parts not neccecary for playing. might be good for dial-uppers.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I have ADSL only since a month. I remember that before that, it took me 15 minutes to download 2 Mb, when I was lucky :wink: :)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

martenzo wrote:actually it might be a good idea to make some small version of wesnoth, e.g no portraits, no death frames, no sound, basically all the parts not neccecary for playing. might be good for dial-uppers.
This used to be done and was called 'Wesnoth Lite' but so few people downloaded it that we have discontinued it, considering it not worth the effort.

For 0.9.2, the main tarball was downloaded 6194 times from Sourceforge, and Wesnoth Lite was downloaded just 55 times. It doesn't seem worthwhile to spend developer's valuable time on something that is used by less than 1% of users.

We also provide xdeltas so that users can patch from previous versions, but they seem to have very low download stats too.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

That can be because those lite versions and those xdeltas are not on the download page of the website. They should be found there, IMHO.
Ardonik

Post by Ardonik »

1.1 kilobytes per second? No problem.

Code: Select all

$ units -v "1.1 KiB per second" "MiB per day"
        1.1 KiB per second = 92.8125 MiB per day
        1.1 KiB per second = (1 / 0.010774411) MiB per day
$
The Mac version of Wesnoth 0.9.3 is only 43.7 MB, so if you open Terminal.app and type

wget -v -c http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wesnoth/Wesnoth_MacOSX_0.9.3.dmg
(using the -v switch to report what's happening, and the -c switch to continue where you left off if your download is interrupted), you should have Wesnoth_MacOSX_0.9.3.dmg on your hard drive in less than 12 hours, assuming you're devoting the connection entirely to the download.

You may get it at an even faster rate with a closer sourceforge mirror.

EDIT: I see now that you were dissatisfied with even a 9-hour download. There's nothing I can do help you get a faster connection, but at least with wget, you'll never have to worry about only having a partial file because your modem was disconnected. Besides, you only have to do the download once per release.

EDIT 2: I'm starting to get the impression that wget doesn't even ship with Mac OSX. In that case, you might try

curl -v -C - http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wesnoth/Wesnoth_MacOSX_0.9.3.dmg > Wesnoth_MacOSX_0.9.3.dmg
but I have not tested this.
dark_whitecleou625

Post by dark_whitecleou625 »

I better want to get a friend here....Pls! Somebody!!! or just split, copy and send to me the file of new features, new images and new campaigns(if any). I prefer if SOMEBODY THERE wants to copy a 0.9.3 and paste here in forum for easier dload or i think its the same because ill dload...or maybe the new ffile and features.....I need friends here!!!
Please....I would like to appreciate to those who will mail me at dark_cleou93@yahoo.com something about WESNOTH!!!
ryn

Post by ryn »

just download an xdelta. Shouldn't be all that hard. It'll take far less than 9 hours, and will do exactly what you want.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

ryn wrote:just download an xdelta. Shouldn't be all that hard. It'll take far less than 9 hours, and will do exactly what you want.
No xdelta package for mac os x, he'd need to use the source code xdelta, and to compile it... he'd need to dl stuff.
scott

Post by scott »

CVS might be an option for someone who's otherwise willing to move files manually.

The instructions are in the Mac OS X compile sticky in Developer's Discussions.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.