Saving maps in multiplayer

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

markokocic

Saving maps in multiplayer

Post by markokocic »

During multiplayer I often encounter map that looks interesting and that I would like to save.

How to do that?

Sorry if this is RTFM, but I didn't find that info anywhere.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find and save a map that you see people playing on the server.

Your best bet is to ask them the name of the map, come here, and search for that name using the "Search" button at the top of the page. The other way would be to save a replay of the game, convert it away from binary, and then extract the map from it, but that would be rather hard.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
markokocic

Post by markokocic »

turin wrote:Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find and save a map that you see people playing on the server.
Than it would be nice new feature which is not hard to implement.
ryn

Post by ryn »

Actually, turin, it is rather simple. You can disable binary saves IIRC, and then simply extract the map data from a save.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:Unfortunately, there is no easy way to find and save a map that you see people playing on the server.
How about observing the game, then saving it, and then getting the map data portion out?
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
markokocic

Post by markokocic »

Dave wrote:
How about observing the game, then saving it, and then getting the map data portion out?
Yes, it works now.
The trick was to disable binary saves in preferences->advanced.

Thanks to all for replays
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Uh...
I, in my first post in this thread wrote:The other way would be to save a replay of the game, convert it away from binary, and then extract the map from it, but that would be rather hard.
My only mistake was specifying a saved replay game, but he should have gotten the point. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm