Enhanced Default

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

King Arthur

Enhanced Default

Post by King Arthur »

This is a great MP era, do developers plan to implement it? If added the level 3 outlaws, and some other units like rune mage for knalgans (with it's level 1 and 2 created) and orcish shamans (with level 2 and 3) to create a spellcaster for northerners, it would be perfect to replace the normal multiplayer game.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

About the runemaster: It is intended to branch off from the Dwarvish Fighter, not get its own tree. Asereje has provided new graphics for the levels 2 and 3; check that thread for them. Decent stats can be found in my campaign Sceptre of Fire.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Why people ask for all the units in all the factions?
next people will complain about elves not having draining units or humans missing a regenerative unit...
Some factions get some specials and others get another kind (having cheap units is also a special)... if you add the same types of units to all factions you will get a bland combination where it doesnt matter what you choose you allways get the same...
scott

Post by scott »

Woah! It's just a demo that exists to show people how to make eras with custom content. I split the Knalgans and Outlaws for fun since people always talk about doing it. I was curious if anyone had thoughts on it. If you like to use it, I can put in the runemasters.

Right now the MULTIPLAYER symbol is the only #ifdef argument, so the units leak into other eras. I would like a way to isolate it from other multiplayer eras. I guess use different unit IDs for the L1/2 outlaws and dwarf fighter.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

fmunoz wrote:Why people ask for all the units in all the factions?
I assume you are talking about the runemaster and shaman in your post.

If so, I disagree with the original poster's reasons for adding the runemaster, but I think it stems from most people not understanding the unit. :evil: The primary reason for adding it is, to give knalgans their FIRST EVER branching unit. Second of all, it isn't even similar enough to other magic units to qualify as one. Its magic is MELEE, it has bad defence, it moves slow, and it advances from the FIGHTER, not from its own 1st level unit... the only way it is similar to other magic users is that it uses magic. And it is NOT suggested to give knalgans a magic user, I don't even see that as a benefit. It just makes sense with the rest of the unit.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I just want to say the runesmith is an awesome unit. 13-2 magic melee is nice. Another way to say it is that it's overpowered. However, campaign units are often like that.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

turin wrote:to give knalgans their FIRST EVER branching unit.
A long time ago the Dwarvish Berserker did advance from the Dwarvish Fighter as well as the Steelclad doing so. :twisted:

I do think that's a good reason to introduce the Runemaster.
scott wrote:I just want to say the runesmith is an awesome unit. 13-2 magic melee is nice. Another way to say it is that it's overpowered. However, campaign units are often like that.
Even for a level 2 that's only 26 max. damage (and no ranged attack?). The Orcish Warrior, Dwarvish Steelclad, Elvish Hero, Pikeman, Swordsman, Knight, etc. all have more maximum damage than that, and some of them other attacks too. Magical gives you just a little bit more chance to hit in many situations, balancing that out (and note that occasionally it can decrease chance to hit). It also has only two swings, with more concentrated damage, which is sometimes good, but also makes it more likely to miss entirely (yes, even for magical attacks, it still has a big fat 9% chance to miss both times -- not to be trifled at by a skilled general). Anyway let's compare it with the Red Mage. It does 32 maximum magical damage, 6 more than this Runesmith, AND has a quite decent 6-2 melee impact attack. And while neither melee nor ranged can be said to be definitively better, ranged is generally considered worth more (compare Elvish Fighter, cost 14, to Elvish Archer, cost 18 -- they are both reasonable costs for the named unit). I hope that you are not assuming that merely because it is something new, a magical attack that is on melee, it is overpowered. In conclusion, I would disagree that the cited stats of this "runesmith" are overpowered without good evidence to back it up (if you have such evidence, you could show it... although unfortunately most such evidence is a subjective thing...). (Unless you wish to charge that most level 2's in Wesnoth are overpowered, but that would be too much of a disruption to Wesnoth at this point.)
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
scott

Post by scott »

This is a case where I'm remembering times when both attacks hit rather than when they all miss.

Melee attacks are more common, especially among scouts, and he has enough HP to hold his own as a front line unit still. I haven't played with him extensively - just some testing after implementing him in the era, but he mopped up the battlefield because he could do so much damage during retaliation. Red mages do a good job at high defense/high HP/high value kills, but they're vulnerable.
Last edited by scott on July 4th, 2005, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

An important thing to note is that he advances from a unit that costs 17, not 21. :)

However, I don't think its overpowered.

And IP: I remember when the Berserker advanced from the fighter. It's only been different for about a year...
The World of Orbivm
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

About the outlaw faction, developers could put them into game main file with different name, maybe something like Thug, and Thug'
and Thug' would advance to level 3 highwayman.
This way someone could make a MP era that have the outlaw faction. That seems more reasonable than making it able to create units on mp eras, because you don't need the era to play in it, so someone could cheat and make a faction with a lot of dragons that cost 1 gold and the other factions by default, I don't know, but it could screw the game.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur