version 0.9.3 artwork (villages)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

scott wrote:Where did they come from?

Edit: Looks like frame, but how were they drawn?
Jetryl made them, I commited them.
olof wrote:that's not the same perspective as other things, that don't work near castel, near cave wall, and it's too big, and the colors are not in the same family as rest, realy, it has a problem.
Not even close...

We are working towards a consistent perspective on building. The new villages are much closer in perspective to the castles than the old ones. The old ones actually was way off. I anything needs to be worked on here I would say it's the castles not the new villages.

Cave wall is what I would call an "indoor" environment and don't match much else.

The coloring is a bit different than some other things, but IMO in a good way and I think we are moving in the right direction. Could maybe be sharpened up a bit.

People really shouldn't expect 100% consistency in a devel release anyway...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Also note - people are absolutely right that they look terrible next to the current terrain.

The CURRENT terrain. I suggest that everyone realize that our hills and mountains are both going bye-bye, thanks to the fellow who posted above me. Here's a screenshot of what the villages look like next to our new mountains:

Admittedly, a number of our units look out of place next to this stuff, but this is why I've been trying to downplay the "black outline around everything" style for some time now. It's dumb luck, but frame is doing exactly what I had hoped to do myself with the style of the terrain.
olof

Post by olof »

yeah, thats realy best so. Didn't you reduce a little the big villages ? seem to be good so
Squig

Post by Squig »

wow! :shock:

i love it
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Looks really nice.

Now we really need a better mountain village!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

i want to see that new terrain in next release! :)
scott

Post by scott »

The big green village is at times completely out of place. I just started to playtest my campaign, and I'm not thrilled. There's no reason for it to be so big. Unless you're trying to fix the scale difference between units and all other terrain, it should be smaller. It's bigger than the trees! Its urban look also makes it more of a specialized terrain rather than a country village. It used to be a "forest village", but most people thought of it as the "elf village", but I think it misses the mark. It looks great, but I might need to swap its usage with what we used to call the human villages.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

My only issue is with the massive one.....It really strikes me as quite Victorian. Seems extremely bizarre being on the same screen as Drakes, Woses and the like.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
pg

Post by pg »

frame wrote:Cave wall is what I would call an "indoor" environment and don't match much else.
It is used a lot on multiplayer maps because it offers blocking for all units which is quite useful to achieve certain map designs. Cave wall does look weird/overlap/etc a lot of terrains though. I generally prefer it to shroud however.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The test looks good. I think it fits the skirmish feel of Wesnoth.

For the units to fit, it may be neccesary to use slighty more opaque sets of colors, but i'll leave the decisions to the artists.

Have a nice day with your squad.

*goes download*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Ardonik

Post by Ardonik »

Jetryl and Frame: however imperfectly they appear when imposed on current land terrain, the new villages look absolutely stunning. Please don't revert them!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

After playing The Elves Besieged, I have one little issue on the Elves' villages: There's way too many of the larger ones. I think those should only comprise about 1/4 of the total...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
freecraft

Post by freecraft »

"Thats the way, aha aha, I like it, aha aha,
Thats the way, I like it"

Very good work!
(PS: I haven't played the 9.3 yet, but screenshots look great!)

Probably this is the biggest move in wesnoth arts.

Jetryl rocks!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

freecraft, mountians and hills arent changed yet :(
olof

Post by olof »

but the villages seen here are good, but the other one istoo big...