Add a campaign/scenario editor(or instructions) to Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should we do this?

Yes
56%
No
11%
It will be/has been added to a release of wesnoth
33%

Total votes: 9

ILikeProgramming

Add a campaign/scenario editor(or instructions) to Wesnoth

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think it would be helpful if we added a campaign/scenario editor, instructions for making them, or links to Wesnoth Wiki and forums to the game application. That way:

A. Everybody, will know they can make their own missions and more people will try.

B. More people will go on the forums

This means we have more people drawing, making maps, and programming for Wesnoth.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

no to a scenario/campaign editor (IMHO is would be nearly useless, and be a lot of work), but instructions on how to make campaigns might be a good idea.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ILikeProgramming

Some people picked the third choice. Can some programmer tell me which one it is?
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

There is a campaign editor bundled with the Mac OS X build done by Sithrandel. It is not generally regarded as an improvement over using a text editor. See the pages at the wiki: http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BuildingScenarios and http://wesnoth.slack.it/?BuildingCampaigns
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Kirit

Post by Kirit »

there is also a "generic campaign" on the campaign server. it has complete instructions and what-to-do with every file. if thats what you're looking for...
By moonlight we ride ten thousands side by side
With swords drawn held high our whips and armour shine
Hail to thee our infantry still brave beyond the grave
All sworn the eternal vow the time to strike is now
ILikeProgramming

I myself know how to make campaigns(in fact I published one: Mage Republic) but it would be useful to let every person who has Wesnoth know you can make campaigns and missions yourself. I believe that some(if not most) players are not aware of that.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

ILikeProgramming wrote:it would be useful to let every person who has Wesnoth know you can make campaigns and missions yourself. I believe that some(if not most) players are not aware of that.
There are clear pointers to the Wiki (nearly 500 pages at last count) and the forums (over 5000 threads to date) in the in-game documentation. What exactly do you propose needs to be done to "let every person who has Wesnoth know you can make campaigns and missions yourself"?
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

ott wrote:There is a campaign editor bundled with the Mac OS X build done by Sithrandel. It is not generally regarded as an improvement over using a text editor.
This is because of the versatility and ongoing development of WML. Whilst a fully drag-and-drop editor would be possible if WML ever stopped evolving, it would not allow the creation of the most interesting campaigns. Only text can allow that efficiently. Some aspects, such as the map, placing units, etc. can be usefully done in the gui, but the guts of the campaign would need to remain text.

Similarly, a genuine easy-to-understand guide would need to be written from the ground up, once WML had been frozen.

So the price to pay for WML still evolving and becoming more powerful, so allowing more interesting scenarios, is that easy-to-use editors / documentation will have to wait.
scott

Post by scott »

http://wesnoth.slack.it?BuildingScenarios includes a nice 3-part WML tutorial. I was going to write a campaign writing walk-through, but I found someone has already more or less done it. It walks you through the most common WML tags.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.