Thoughts on additional mainline MP Campaigns?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rgwesnoth

Thoughts on additional mainline MP Campaigns?

Post by rgwesnoth »

Are there any plans to add additional mainline Multiplayer Campaigns to Wesnoth? I've played through Legend of Wesmere, and I was wondering if there are plans to add more.
Last edited by rgwesnoth on May 5th, 2020, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shevegen

Re: Thoughts on additional mainline MP Campaigns?

Post by shevegen »

Have the adventures of Grog been added yet? That big troll dude.

I remember that this was one of those that I liked. And it was not that big so could probably be added; or "unlocked", after the mainline has been played through. :D

Perhaps maintenance burden may be an issue why not more mainline campaigns are added. (Actually I may have misread the "MP" part, thought it would be any campaign hmm.)
rgwesnoth

Post by rgwesnoth »

Yeah, I was talking specifically about Multiplayer campaigns, since Legend of Wesmere looks pretty lonely in the MP campaign list.

I have been thinking a little more about this and I've realized that the developers probably want all of the mainline campaigns to follow a single story arc. Would it be possible for me to make one of the currently singleplayer campaigns into a multiplayer one, and then have it be put into mainline? I have been learning WML the past few days and believe I can do this. Are there any plans in place regarding this?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Indeed we would like to have another multiplayer campaign in mainline, we also have an issue for this on our bugtracker https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/1953 it's not clear yet how we would like it to look, agaik some persons recently spend some time giving some mainline campaigns and overhaul there should be also be a read on this maybe you should talk to them if you want to k ow more about what's important about writing a Mainline campaign. Other than that I am willing to help anyone when it comes to the mp-specific technical (meaning I will helppep people with no . specific stuff but I will not tech them wml) wml side of writing a multiplayer campaign.

I also believe a mp campaign should be designed as a no campaign from scretch and not be a sp campaign adapted to multiplayer.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

There was a project to rework AToTB into a multiplayer campaign (by EarthCake and LordLewis; at least the former can be reached via Discord), but I have no idea of the current state of affairs. I have not played any of the UMC multiplayer campaigns, but at least The Altaz Mariners is not mainline compatible lorewise, IIRC. Just a thing to keep in mind...
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.