older ones all gone?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Freem

older ones all gone?

Post by Freem »

Hello?
Is there is still someone here?
Ah. I guess the place is somehow desert now. Can't say I helped it stay alive, I only played here, years afters years afters years, inviting friends to play. Was a nice game. Thanks for the fish.

On a less dramatic tone, I really meant what I said. Check my account, it's not a new one. For some times, I had others things to do to play, and when I was back, someone made wesnoth a walled garden. Now, that garden is dying. It's my feeling, and I have no rights to say it, I know.
I remember days where it was jungle, we never knew in colosseum who would leave fist. Was good, there were observers to take on.

There were also the RPG games, both bob's and the D&D's like. See? I do know about the past...but did nothing. yup. Nothing at at time. Various reasons.
Now, I'd like that game alive, I come back, and it's almost dead.

Almost dead? Why? This is the most renowned FOSS game?!?

Well, I was 1st surprised, shocked, to have to had an account to play. How the hell am I supposed to invite friends? What? You laugh? I know at least 5 persons that played that game, without account. I could not invite them back easy, now.

Ah, the player's quality improved? Are you... serious? Less players, less than 50 in average, that was the dev server!

I will probably not reply, you might consider this a troll (again, check my account to see if I'm a troll) but nowadays, in my opinion, wesnoth killed the only way to keep players.

I'm really sorry to say those words. I think it's too late, too.
Freem

Re: older ones all gone?

Post by Freem »

:cry: Ah, sorry, I told about 50? It's like 20 players right now, less than the 1.11 server...

Should this game only remain a monument of the year 2000 FOSS?
Freem

Post by Freem »

Oh, sorry, I forgot an *important* thing. You removed players the ability to play several games at a time. Or to just watch if there are games while waiting for people to join.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

You can login as Freem and FrEem and FreEm at the same time.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There are currently over 100 players on the 1.14 MP server - I just went and checked.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

Yes, there are way fewer players than there used to be. You can notice it not only on the MP server, but also when you look at the Ladder (where used to be more than 100 rated players, now there are 20) or on Google Trends.
I think it is because there are more free-to-play games. Just look at Steam and you can find thousands of them.
Freem wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:47 amI will probably not reply, you might consider this a troll (again, check my account to see if I'm a troll) but nowadays, in my opinion, wesnoth killed the only way to keep players.
Could you at least say something specific? What is the only way to keep players that Wesnoth killed?
Freem wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:47 amThere were also the RPG games, both bob's and the D&D's like. See? I do know about the past...but did nothing. yup. Nothing at at time. Various reasons.
Now, I'd like that game alive, I come back, and it's almost dead.

Almost dead? Why? This is the most renowned FOSS game?!?
Wesnoth is not dying. It's just become niche. There will always be a small dedicated dev team and community.
Look at the Tournaments forum. There is much going on :)
Freem wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:47 amAh, sorry, I told about 50? It's like 20 players right now, less than the 1.11 server...
Should this game only remain a monument of the year 2000 FOSS?
You entered the server at the time when few players were online. On European evenings there are usually 100-200 people.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
helling3r

Post by helling3r »

It takes just a moment to register a new account. And it’s free...
NEW LoW Linux automated friends script: GitHub project site | Forums post
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

During this period I saw over 200 players online.

You can still observe, I played colosseum and an RPG scenario just the other day.

The only point that I agree upon with, is the fact that you have to register, that's an useless bother.

P.S.

What you mean with "when I was black" ?
You passed a bad period, changed literally skin color, or what ?
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

ForPeace wrote: April 26th, 2020, 11:23 am I think it is because there are more free-to-play games. Just look at Steam and you can find thousands of them.
It isn't just that there are a lot of free or cheap games on Steam and in other online stores.
If you look at the Google Trends chart, you can see that we peaked from 2005 to 2009, then the decline started; and around 2009, we had the launch of the iPhone 3G and we saw Android being installed on more and more devices. That's the point: mobile gaming rose (bringing a lot for free-to-play games), we reached a point where several people own a smartphone but not a computer and Wesnoth is mostly played on computers (yes, we've got Android and iOS ports, but that's beside the point).
Yomar wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:36 pm The only point that I agree upon with, is the fact that you have to register, that's an useless bother.
It was the only sensible way to enforce some sort of moderation; before this, the most that could be done was IP banning, which isn't really effective for a lot of reasons.
Besides, if you want to use one of the alternate MP servers, or even host your own server, there isn't any registration requirement.
Yomar wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:36 pm What you mean with "when I was black" ?
:lol: None of the above. They just meant...
Freem wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:47 am and when I was back
Simple as that.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Wow, today at some point there were over 250 Players online.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
It was the only sensible way to enforce some sort of moderation; before this, the most that could be done was IP banning, which isn't really effective for a lot of reasons.
Besides, if you want to use one of the alternate MP servers, or even host your own server, there isn't any registration requirement.
True, I dint said that it's useless, just a bit bothersome, and moderation dint increased so much after all, but I get your point.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Freem

Post by Freem »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: May 1st, 2020, 7:50 pm
Yomar wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:36 pm What you mean with "when I was black" ?
:lol: None of the above. They just meant...
Freem wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:47 am and when I was back
Simple as that.
That. And probably a bit drunk when writing it, too. Made me ashamed to even log in via wesnoth's game.
If you think moderation is a need, well... have fun. I already have an account anyway, but, no, it's not just a matter of few seconds, it's something that will make people think "duh, I need an account? Well, let's move to some other game".

But now, as I said if some other random post, I'm not part of wesnoth's community, and I shall respect your decisions. At least, and that's for certain, I'm grateful that this game still exists.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

Its been a while since I have played Battle for Wesnoth, years actually. I don't know why I came back here. I guess to be a pain. I feel like a lot that has gone on with this game is "turd polishing." like it is a nice and shinny turd filled with "quality" but a turd none the less. It looks like all my favorite mods I remember are gone to, but it is basically the same game with the same units and gameplay.

If I ran this project, not that I would know anything about that. I would fork it. I would name the current game "stable" and only do work on it to make sure it works with the latest distro and compiles with the latest programming language upgrade. Otherwise I would leave it alone, at least as far as game play and mods are concerned. no sense pulling the rug out from under the mod makers, so they know it is stable and that it will always just work. So basically it would just be 1.) make sure it keeps compiling and doesn't have any major security holes, as well as runs on the latest OSes. 2.) make sure to keep up with adding new mods/etc to the official server. 3. Not break anything.

Then with the new "fork I would call it something like Wesnoth 2, Children of Eris. Children of Eris would take all the things that Wesnoth has and basically do all the stuff that players have been begging about for years but the malevolent dictator said no on.

I have some "ideas"
1. Worse artwork that looks like a two year old did it? Done.
2. Take everything and run it though a pink and purple filter so it looks like a knightelf homeland Done.
3. Add annoying mini games final fantasy style, such as a call to gweled, that tux paint window wipping game, ksnake, some card game, or whatever stupid minigames junior programmers can come up with - Done.
4. Deterministic instead of randomized hits Done
5. Real time game play in some areas Done
6. Designed be committee with the "worst" ideas voted on and then implemented in game. Done
7. Replace the music with "edited" tracks such as the music played backwards and speeded up inter spliced with some random stuff from opengameart.org Done
http://wogralddev.blogspot.com/

Wograld - our graphics requirements are less demanding.
ReNoM

Post by ReNoM »

Jastiv wrote: October 18th, 2020, 11:01 pm I have some "ideas"
1. Worse artwork that looks like a two year old did it? Done.
2. Take everything and run it though a pink and purple filter so it looks like a knightelf homeland Done.
3. Add annoying mini games final fantasy style, such as a call to gweled, that tux paint window wipping game, ksnake, some card game, or whatever stupid minigames junior programmers can come up with - Done.
4. Deterministic instead of randomized hits Done
5. Real time game play in some areas Done
6. Designed be committee with the "worst" ideas voted on and then implemented in game. Done
7. Replace the music with "edited" tracks such as the music played backwards and speeded up inter spliced with some random stuff from opengameart.org Done
Most of your ideas have been already done by the current dev team. Check it out.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

unqualified comment :lol: : not everyone plays online. i do sometimes, but my father and both my brothers only play offline, because they are more in for the sp rpg aspect of the game.
eh, what comes here again?
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

@s1m0n: Same here. I've only ever played SP. Maybe the people who like MP more are attracted to MMORPGs? To playing stuff on their smartphones? Just speculating.
Last edited by revolting_peasant on November 12th, 2021, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.