About vampire bat

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should the vampire bat be cheaper

Yes it should cost 12
16%
Yes it should cost 11
4%
Yes it should cost 10
8%
Yes it should cost 9
No votes
Yes, but im not sure how much
12%
No it should remain the same
60%

Total votes: 25

SaintDust

About vampire bat

Post by SaintDust »

i voted for 11

My arguement is simple
The bat can not handle combat. 90% of units in multiplayer can kill it very easy. And even though it has drain, its attack doesn't allow it to gain much advantage when its taking 7-10 points of damage each swing.
For 12 gold you can get a troll, grunt, thief, and a few other very combative units.
If they get the quick ability the theif and grunt can move up to 7, which is one less than the bat.. But because the bat can fly it always moves 1 through terrain.
But to limit this the bat has poor hp, and poor defense. While the grunt and thief each have better hp, and a chance at better defense. (most advanced players make sure its on above average def).
To make up for its low hp, it has a drain ability.. (mentioned above)
The best thing to do with bat is to move in and kill retreating units, and to scout and get hard reached villages..

I just think its a bit to exspensive. Not by much.. But just a little..
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The vampire bat is very powerful, because it can capture villages very quickly. I don't think we can reduce its cost without reducing its speed.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telly

Post by telly »

Level 0 needs to be fixed first somehow. If they were level 1, they'd be heavily overpriced of course but as they aren't and considering the types of maps that are popular now, 13 is about right imo.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

the extra move is not realy worth it.. most of the time you get 1-2 villages extra that normal units could get..

and then if you explore to far out getting villages your bats get traped and killed very easy..
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

SaintDust wrote:the extra move is not realy worth it.. most of the time you get 1-2 villages extra that normal units could get..
The point is that bats are level 0, so they require no upkeep. The other scouts require upkeep. This can translate into a 10-30 gp advantage for the player using a bat, over the course of a game. There are successful undead faction strategies using only bats together with walking corpses or ghouls, and the general consensus seems to be that bats are possibly a bit underpriced, and that as level 0 units they could be unbalanced for longer games.
SaintDust wrote:and then if you explore to far out getting villages your bats get traped and killed very easy..
Try using bats differently. You need to use them as a fast advance force to get an initial economic advantage. They are fragile, so move them outside the enemy ZOC when threatened, but keep them within range of targets to keep the enemy tied down to defending those targets. Bats are good at capturing unoccupied villages, not for holding them (as eloquently expressed by EP).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It was 11 before, and it was WAY overpowered. Thus it was increased to 13.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

good points...
didn't know about the upkeep thing..
i was just thinking about combat..
1v1 bats don't last verses anyting in combat..
its hard to use them for combat..

and lets face it, unless you can tare down his advancing units.. ur dead..
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Bats are scouts... why the heck would you try to use them for combat? :)

and BTW, saying "u" for you is really annoying to some people.;0
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Caçada Selvagem

Post by Caçada Selvagem »

there is one "vampire lady" on wiki, what is she?
And I swear to defend
And we'll fight to the end
And I swear that I'll never be taken alive
And I know that we'll stand
And we'll fight for our land
And I swear that my bairns will be born free
====================
LUTE CONTRA O SISTEMA
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Bats are small and should be quick - so maybe change attack rate from 5-2 to 2-5 - will be good for killing units with very low hp at backs of our enemy's army
AkitoScorpio

Post by AkitoScorpio »

Caçada Selvagem wrote:there is one "vampire lady" on wiki, what is she?
I dunno I think it's a unique or non implemented.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

AkitoScorpio wrote:
Caçada Selvagem wrote:there is one "vampire lady" on wiki, what is she?
I dunno I think it's a unique or non implemented.
It was going to be used as an enemy leader in HttT. I don't remember if the scenario was ever created, i don't think so.
The World of Orbivm
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

turin wrote:
AkitoScorpio wrote: I dunno I think it's a unique or non implemented.
It was going to be used as an enemy leader in HttT. I don't remember if the scenario was ever created, i don't think so.
It is used as a 'special appearance' in The Cursed Isle, in The Rise Of Wesnoth. I don't know if it's used anywhere else.
AkitoScorpio

Post by AkitoScorpio »

Well hell we can do better than that, Right now Undead only have one Levelible unique, and a lot of stuff that's just not included.
Disto

Post by Disto »

No because to me someone isn't using it properly and there is no other reason to change it
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth