Please release Battle for Wesnoth on GOG

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FutureSuture

Please release Battle for Wesnoth on GOG

Post by FutureSuture »

Going by this recent announcement, GOG seemingly intends to be even more indie friendly than it already is and I believe that it would make a great place for Battle for Wesnoth to be obtained from, ensuring a greater number of players from a community that is pretty friendly and believes in acquiring games without suffering from DRM and regional pricing. If you do not know what GOG is, here's a link. Seeing as how Warsow has made it onto GOG, I strongly believe that there is more room for gratis, open source efforts, especially after the aforementioned announcement. Please do give it a thought.
Insinuator

Re: Please release Battle for Wesnoth on GOG

Post by Insinuator »

I like GOG. And I am impressed that it offers free games as well. But I'm not sure Wesnoth & GOG are quite compatible. GOG's games are complete, finito. While I'm sure they allow some limited room for patching, Wesnoth is an entirely different animal.

Wesnoth is still considered "under development", and from it's premise and evolution over the past ten years, I think it not unreasonable to say that it will always be "under development". Wesnoth is fun, playable, and stable. But it is continually changing and growing. I think it unlikely that GOG would want to stretch it's bandwidth to allow continuous uploading and downloading from the tens of thousands of users who would have access to the game. And I think many players would get frustrated and start complaining to GOG because of incompatibility issues with multi-player and add-ons.
Missingsouls

Post by Missingsouls »

Insinuator wrote:I like GOG. And I am impressed that it offers free games as well. But I'm not sure Wesnoth & GOG are quite compatible. GOG's games are complete, finito. While I'm sure they allow some limited room for patching, Wesnoth is an entirely different animal.

Wesnoth is still considered "under development", and from it's premise and evolution over the past ten years, I think it not unreasonable to say that it will always be "under development". Wesnoth is fun, playable, and stable. But it is continually changing and growing. I think it unlikely that GOG would want to stretch it's bandwidth to allow continuous uploading and downloading from the tens of thousands of users who would have access to the game. And I think many players would get frustrated and start complaining to GOG because of incompatibility issues with multi-player and add-ons.
What if you were to not patch it? What if you had one stable version that worked across all GOG users? That could create a steady community of Wesnoth players.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Are you suggesting to e.g. have 1.10.x serve as that stable series forever while everyone else (especially user-made content authors) will be on 1.16 by 2018 or so? Because I don’t see how that is supposed to help with community interactions and growth.

Please correct me if my interpretation is completely wrong.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Well I'm a big fan of GOG and I've been around there for a while. Patches and updates do appear from time to time (Zafehouse Diaries being the best example here) so how about releasing every final stable release?

Anyway, as much as I like this idea I'm afraid most devs and mods around here are a bit too conservative for this. And I don't blame them, this community is so friendly and creative partially (or mostly) because of that...
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'm sure GoG would be amenable to allowing us to upload a new patchline every ~2 or so years (whenever an entirely new stable branch is created).