New User (sort of) Questions

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AnomalousT

New User (sort of) Questions

Post by AnomalousT »

Hey everyone, I am new Wesnoth player (sort of). I played Wesnoth a loooooong time ago. It has been about 2 years. . . ? Maybe 3? How old is this game?

I am not having any trouble getting back into the game, I guess I was just curious if there is anything I missed that I need to know.
Also I was thinking about maybe recording this game and putting it on youtube. I see there are other videos on youtube, but I could not find an official policy or anything. :( I just don't want to get into trouble.

That's all. Hopefully I can fall in love with this game like I did all those long years ago.
Telchin

Re: New User (sort of) Questions

Post by Telchin »

Welcome to the forums (and welcome back to the game)!
Hey everyone, I am new Wesnoth player (sort of). I played Wesnoth a loooooong time ago. It has been about 2 years. . . ? Maybe 3? How old is this game?
If wikipedia is to believed the game was first released in 2003. (I first found about it somewhere around 2008).
I am not having any trouble getting back into the game, I guess I was just curious if there is anything I missed that I need to know.
You can find most changes in the changelogs on the home page (or you probably encountered them lready when playing the game). I'm mostly a singleplayer player so for me the biggest changes between versions tend to be new campaigns added into the mainline (1.6 - Legend of Wesmere, 1.8 -Delfador's Memoirs, 1.10 - Dead Waters), though the graphics tend to get better too and there are another additional features (1.10 added the whiteboard planning system ).
Also I was thinking about maybe recording this game and putting it on youtube. I see there are other videos on youtube, but I could not find an official policy or anything. I just don't want to get into trouble.
Unfortunately, I can't really help you with this as I've never uploaded something on the Youtube. I think that the developers would be OK with it as it's sort of free advertising for them, but you should probably wait for someone who knows more than me on this matter.
That's all. Hopefully I can fall in love with this game like I did all those long years ago.
It goes like this: "Just one more turn." "Well, one more turn, but I have exams tomorrow, I should learn for it." "I'll finish this scenario, but then I'll definately go to sleep." "What have I been doing for last three hours?!" :lol2:
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Telchin wrote:Also I was thinking about maybe recording this game and putting it on youtube. I see there are other videos on youtube, but I could not find an official policy or anything. :( I just don't want to get into trouble.
I think this thread will answer your question :)
AnomalousT

Post by AnomalousT »

Hey thanks for the answers you guys! Hmmm 2003? Now that I think about it, I might have taken a break from this game longer than 3 years. But whatever. Just glad to be back.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

AnomalousT wrote:Hmmm 2003? Now that I think about it, I might have taken a break from this game longer than 3 years.
If the map-editor was separated from the game (another word, there was no <map editor> button on the main screen of the game), you played BfW in 4-5 years or more ago.
IIRC, it changed to the current style (built in the game) on BfW 1.4.7, published in 2008.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

If the map-editor was separated from the game (another word, there was no <map editor> button on the main screen of the game), you played BfW in 4-5 years or more ago.
IIRC, it changed to the current style (built in the game) on BfW 1.4.7, published in 2008.
That would be roughly when I started, though I actually started with an ancient version (0.8.8 IIRC) which I downloaded from a gaming site and only later I realized that there is an official website with a much newer (and better) version. However, I think that 1.4.7 still had the editor as a separate file from the game, as I remember being surprised that it was integrated in the main menu when I downloaded 1.6. That said, maybe I'm wrong as I didn't actually need the editor until I started making my UMC. (I started developing Inky's Quest under 1.6, but only finished and first released 1.8. That's also when I joined the forums.)