Enlarged Story Line Text?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yogicbrewer

Enlarged Story Line Text?

Post by yogicbrewer »

My eyesight isn't that great, and I hate having to squint to read the story line, even with a 24-inch screen. If I skip over it, I might miss an important hint. Is it possible to add an option in Display Preferences to allow larger fonts?

This would affect the intro story line, in-scenario text, and possibly the Scenario Objectives dialog box.
tr0ll

Re: Enlarged Story Line Text?

Post by tr0ll »

Discussed awhile ago, without result so far.
On GNU/Linux you could try a magnifier such as xzoom, shown below with Wesnoth running windowed at 1024x768:
(click to zoom)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I can see how the static font size can be a bit of a usability problem, but as the abovementioned thread indicates, I'm afraid that's not going to be remedied anytime soon. In addition to a magnifier app, I suppose you could also switch to a lower resolution at fullscreen mode even though it's naturally not going to be as pretty to look at.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

If you're on Windows, you could also try the magnifying glass, that's somewhere in the Control Panel.
yogicbrewer

Post by yogicbrewer »

OK, all. Thanks for the feedback. I searched for a prior thread but didn't find anything. I'll check out the older one.

I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been addressed, as I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem. People with laptops and other smaller-screen devices surely have an issue with this.

Unfortunately for the suggestions on enlarging the text via Windows and Linux, I'm using a Mac, so that won't help me. I could try using low-res when it's an issue and higher-res when I want "pretty." When using older versions I found that Wesnoth got cranky and crashed if you messed with Preferences too much, so I'd likely just keep it "ugly."
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

There's always command+option+8 on OS X. (See Zoom under Universal Access in System Preferences) It doesn't seem to work in full screen for me, but is fine in windowed mode.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I found a Screen Magnifying tool that has a mac version, though I haven't tested it. (I'm on Windows)

Here's the download link. I can't vouch for it though, but I'm gonna test it in a sec, so I'll edit the post if it's trustworthy. (or not)

EDIT: the Windows version works fine, and isn't a virus
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

If you're willing to do a little hack, you could use the code from this thread for a partial solution. It only does the in-game messages (which comprise the vast majority of text in most scenarios), but story text could be modified in the same way too.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

can we upload that bit of code to the add-on server? i suppose that raises issues of maintaining it etc. :hmm:
it would be nice to have the two numbers 16 and 20 be modifiable from the user interface. i found that 32 and 40 show off the enlargement more obviously.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

tr0ll wrote:can we upload that bit of code to the add-on server? i suppose that raises issues of maintaining it etc. :hmm:
Sure, I could do that. And if I put the code outside the #ifdef in _main.cfg, it would automatically change it for all campaigns. So I could upload it with a warning in the add-on description that it will "affect all other campaigns, download at your own risk."

I'd want to adapt this to change story text size and, if possible, objectives first too though. I can probably do that later this week.
tr0ll wrote:it would be nice to have the two numbers 16 and 20 be modifiable from the user interface. i found that 32 and 40 show off the enlargement more obviously.
32, 40 would be humongous on my screen, so I guess it has to be adjustable. I could add a right-click option to adjust it in-game or something. There might be other or better options, I haven't thought about this yet ...
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Might Pixie work as a Mac zoom utility?
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

mattsc wrote:I'd want to adapt this to change story text size and, if possible, objectives first too though. I can probably do that later this week.
Even as an ugly little hack with its current capabilities, it could make a difference for some folks. "Release early and often", some say. :D
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

tr0ll wrote:Even as an ugly little hack with its current capabilities, it could make a difference for some folks. "Release early and often", some say. :D
Alright then. Alarantalara and I put together a little add-on called 'Adjustable Font Size Resources' and put it on both the 1.10 and 1.11 servers. It enlarges the size of the in-game message texts and the objectives of all campaigns simply by downloading it, you don't need to do anything else.

The add-on also provides a theme that uses large font sizes in the top and right panels of the game screen. You can use that by going into Preferences, and selecting "Large Fonts" under Display -> Theme.

Disclaimers:
  • This add-on changes font size for all campaigns. Install it only if you want that or edit the _main.cfg file so that it only takes effect for certain campaigns.
  • Unfortunately, it is not possible to increase the story text in the same way (because wesnoth.wml_actions cannot be used on the [story] tag).
  • The theme still has some issues, parts of it don't look very good. Feel free to improve it and send me the changes, I will then upload them.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

You can change the font size by altering the default theme files (data/themes/default.cfg). Try changing DEFAULT_FONT_NORMAL to a larger size (maybe 18 or 24 and see how that compares).

Edit: Hmm, it may be the story text is coded somewhere else.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

ancestral wrote:You can change the font size by altering the default theme files (data/themes/default.cfg). Try changing DEFAULT_FONT_NORMAL to a larger size (maybe 18 or 24 and see how that compares).
That doesn't quite work because the "boxes" which display the information don't scale with the font (it also has no effect on messages and objectives). It looks quite ... interesting when you do that (see below).

The new theme is essentially a copy of the default theme, with both font and panel sizes adjusted.

EDIT: just saw your edit: yes, it does not affect the story text either.
Attachments
mangled.jpg
mangled.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 6475 times