How did you find out about Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Through a friend
26%
Debian APT or Gentoo Portage
9%
Freshmeat
No votes
Linux Game Tome (happypenguin.org)
7%
SDL home page (libsdl.org)
1%
IceWalkers.com
No votes
MacCentral.com
No votes
Apple.com
3%
Google
13%
Other web site (please specify below)
12%
Through a LUG
No votes
iTunes/iPhone
9%
Other (please specify below)
20%

Total votes: 69

Cironir

Post by Cironir »

I did a search for multi-platform, open source strategy games on Sourceforge.net via Google (since SF's search options leave much to be desired), and found Wesnoth listed in the Mac OS X project "Fink" (I'm on the Windows platform). They had a URL to wesnoth.org listed, and et voila, I found this addictive game. :)
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Version 6.0 in http://www.decemuladores.com ...other versions here :D
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Michael Vondung

Post by Michael Vondung »

I also looked for strategy games that work for both Windows and Linux. Having a great time with Wesnoth so far. :) Relatively simple graphics aside, there is quite some depth to be had here! I think graphics become somewhat secondary after the first few hours with a game -- and for a community driven game, Wesnoth actually has pretty graphics. But hey, when I started playing computer games, we could only dream of such graphics. :p Though I admit that I really dig Age of Wonders' artwork.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

[quote="Michael Vondung"Though I admit that I really dig Age of Wonders' artwork.[/quote]

OT: while games such as Age of Wonders do have very attractive graphics, I do have to question the usability. The graphics make it difficult to see exactly where everything is.

I think combining very high quality graphics with usability is a pretty hard problem.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have graphics of that kind of quality in Wesnoth, however I do think that we gain something by having simpler graphics.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

I found this at Softonic (http://www.softonic.com), wich gives urls with a small description in Spanish of lots of programs.
jyrierik

Post by jyrierik »

Versiontracker.

Jyri
Roel

Post by Roel »

KillerV

Post by KillerV »

I was just browsing through SDL web site, searching for some nice Linux games and found it.
csabimano

Post by csabimano »

I just found it in (FreeBSD) ports when browsing through games. Description caught my attention, installed it, and lo: I have a new addiction :)

My friend also became addicted - uses win2k version ... I mention this because I (we) really appreciate the excellent cross-platform support! Nice work!
joshbosh321

Post by joshbosh321 »

Ravenx

Post by Ravenx »

I found this game on Linux Game Tome's site. The moment I came accross to the game's homepage and read about the game I was hooked. Now that I'm actually playing the game, I can happily say that I have a new addiction - Wesnoth :D

I also wish to say a big thankyou to the developers of this game. Wesnoth is a great game and you all have done a wonderful job.

Regards

Steve
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I actually once found a remake of battle isle for linux
and when i couldnt find it again i searched tucows

somehow, i cant recall how exactly, i found wesnoth
JusTiCe8

Post by JusTiCe8 »

I discover this game in "Libr'est of Paris" in end of April, organized by Idile, and Nekeme prod. shows the game.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Through http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi.

After which I happily got a few other people addicted at http://www.wow-ra.com/ :P
Po0Och

Post by Po0Och »

I found wesnoth accidentally, while I was looking for a freeware edition of Emerald Mine. The first game I ever played, on the first computer I ever used, a commodore 64 with Amiga. Finding wesnoth was a pleasant coincidence. :)