How did you find out about Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Through a friend
26%
Debian APT or Gentoo Portage
9%
Freshmeat
No votes
Linux Game Tome (happypenguin.org)
7%
SDL home page (libsdl.org)
1%
IceWalkers.com
No votes
MacCentral.com
No votes
Apple.com
3%
Google
13%
Other web site (please specify below)
12%
Through a LUG
No votes
iTunes/iPhone
9%
Other (please specify below)
20%

Total votes: 69

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Actually, I found Wesnoth through a long and twisted path of URLs starting at RadioRivendell (my favorite internet radio station) then some game music link in the forums took me to abandonia.com, and from there I somehow found the Underdogs website. Voila!
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
franklee

I discovered Wesnoth

Post by franklee »

simply by browsing games online until I read a review, then popped in here and guested my way thru several topics, decided to give it a go on my slackware 10.2 system and loved it so much it now runs on my FreeBSD box at home, with a semi permanent server for friends to log into and play...

Wesnoth is AWESOME. :P
When draken blood flows east....put on the teapot for I wont be long from home.
Spam

Post by Spam »

shinryuu wrote:the latest Home of the Underdogs update.
same
Bragador

Post by Bragador »

I found about it while reading on commercial games for linux on the official forums of Ubuntu Linux. There was a thread on "What is your favorite commercial game for linux" and someone said wesnoth. Of course it was quickly pointed out a few posts later that the choice was bad since it was GPL. It picked my curiosity and I wanted to learn more and... well here I am.

And yes I'll have to try linux this summer.

edit : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=108463
Last edited by Bragador on February 10th, 2006, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elestel

Post by Elestel »

http://www.softonic.com (page you can download many things, and they are following the game!)
And also the other day I went to visit a friend, who I have given that version (0.6-7?)... jejje... really surprised to see how this has changed since these days... :P
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

#Cakes

Post by #Cakes »

Home of the underdogs
http://www.the-underdogs.org/

You guys need some media coverage. I stumbled upon it a week ago online. :)

#C
Master of the Undead

Post by Master of the Undead »

I found Wesnoth version 0.8.11 on a NetGuide (an aussie internet magazine) disk. Quite goodluck, too. But some campaign files are a bit corrupted, so I can't play campaigns properly. So I just play the AI, still fun.
OMGzor!1! Und3ad r a7t&Ck!ng!1!

He who controls the soldiers of the past, commands the futre.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

My site was underdogs... heh.
http://www.the-underdogs.org/
This game totally makes up for all of the crappy games that site is flooded with.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Mallor

Sourceforge and gamedesign-l

Post by Mallor »

I think someone mentioned it on gamedesign-l when I was searching for games meeting various criteria. Sourceforge is the reason I eventually played it. It met certain project specs that I was interested in.
Taking risk where others will not.
jaboua

Post by jaboua »

Linux Game Tome
Gazza

Post by Gazza »

Installed pretty much everything in SUSE 10.0, was trying some of the other games, but didn't have graphics drivers installed yet, so it was one of the few big ones that worked, coz of playing it, i still havent bothered installing drivers to try others
player

Post by player »

i found wesnoth when i was once searching apple.com looking for freewares and saw it and dowloaded it.
-jew
MawhrinSkel

Post by MawhrinSkel »

A discussion on [url]news://rec.games.roguelike.nethack[/url] as Wesnoth shares both an open source nature (Nethack uses a modified GNU Emacs licence, which formed the basis of the GPL v1) and a fantasy setting (although Nethack is a little more Moorcock and a little less Tolkein, e.g. its elves are chaotic). Wesnoth needs an ASCII graphics mode! ;) (which would be awkward with hexes).

I installed it, then forgot about it. I tried it when I was clearing up my HDD, not expecting much. I was very pleasantly surprised.
saxodus

Post by saxodus »

There was a CD-ROM with some freeware, packed with a swedish PC-magazine, PC Hemma, and on it was Wesnoth 1.0.1.
Oh well... Whatever. Nevermind.