Better/smarter support for display resolutions?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WWWWolf

Better/smarter support for display resolutions?

Post by WWWWolf »

Here's a small exercise: Try starting Wesnoth up for the first time on a 1024x600 netbook. The app starts in windowed mode and, my my, the window is gigantic. The only solution is to go to the preferences, but the preferences button is somewhere quite off the screen. And as it happens, the netbook runs Windows, where one does not merely move windows that are larger than the screen. (Windows thinks "oh my, your titlebar is off the screen! Here, let me move it back to the screen so you can actually perform window operations." Thanks, I guess, but the preferences button is still off the screen!)

Long story short, I think I just edited the Wesnoth config file last time. Not particularly user-friendly. :D

And when setting up the resolution right, I was thinking "by golly, I think I'll end up switching resolutions pretty often - I need widescreen aspect ratio for the LCD, and standard aspect ratio for my monitor. You'll never know which is relevant."

Could this be improved? Would it be possible to just specify my preferred 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions, have Wesnoth sniff out what kind of display you're running on right now, and pick it automatically?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Better/smarter support for display resolutions?

Post by fabi »

It should be not that hard to determine the actual screen size and start Wesnoth in a windowed mode with that maximum resolution or the one from the preferences if it is smaller in both dimensions.
Haudegen

Post by Haudegen »

WWWWolf wrote: And when setting up the resolution right, I was thinking "by golly, I think I'll end up switching resolutions pretty often - I need widescreen aspect ratio for the LCD, and standard aspect ratio for my monitor. You'll never know which is relevant."

Could this be improved? Would it be possible to just specify my preferred 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions, have Wesnoth sniff out what kind of display you're running on right now, and pick it automatically?
You can set the window dimensions using command the command line parameter

Code: Select all

--resolution
and start wesnoth via shell script(s), shell alias(es) or whatever means windows provides.
WWWWolf

Post by WWWWolf »

Haudegen wrote:You can set the window dimensions using command the command line parameter

Code: Select all

--resolution
and start wesnoth via shell script(s), shell alias(es) or whatever means windows provides.
Thanks, that's a good idea as an interim solution. Slightly clumsy in practice, though, and might be a little bit tricky to pull off when launching the game through Desura, which is why some form of built-in smartness would be much appreciated. :)
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Things like this are not always this trival. Sadly. Though we really welcome patches to fix behavior like this (and other patches as well). In regards to the resolution selection there might be significant differences in behavior between Linux and Windows and since most devs tend to rely on Linux (and those under Windows know that this OS limits you)...