Some questions regarding Android version of BFW

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PieFlavor

Some questions regarding Android version of BFW

Post by PieFlavor »

Sorry to post a new thread about it, I was never good at searching and afaik there isn't an official FAQ of the android version of the game.

here are my questions.
1- Since the Android version of the game shares the source code of the original game, and multiplayer for this version is planned for September/October (Paid version says sept, free trial version says oct), does it mean it might have a chance of being cross platform with PC/MAC/Linux?

2- Will there be support for custom maps and add=ons? browsing the data folder of the game it seems as if it's an exact copy of the PC version files, and there were folders for add-ons and custom maps.

3- What changes with the fact that for using the full version of the game on an android device, you must first pay $3.99? I mean, the PC version is completely free.

4- is Androth Softworks in any way affiliated with the original creators of the game? if not, then I guess nobody here can really answer these questions and I should better forward these to the very market developers then.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Re: Some questions regarding Android version of BFW

Post by allefant »

For 1. and 2. I don't see a reason why not, but cjhopman is the one who can give definitive answers.

About 3. The Android version is completely free - Wesnoth is GPL after all. You can obtain the sources, compile your own .apk and install and play. The $3.99 are only for having the game compiled for you and easy to download and install. There just happens to be some people who do the same for free for OSX and Windows. If someone makes free Android binaries available nothing will stop you from using those.

As for 4. just look for cjhopman, he's a Wesnoth developer.
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

1. Yes, multiplayer will be cross-platform.
2. There will probably be support for custom maps and addons. Also, as you noted the data folder is essentially the same as the pc version. In fact, if you don't feel like paying for the full version you can get the free version and add all the missing stuff to that folder manually to get access to all the campaigns :) . I don't guarantee that this works or that it will continue to work (it should work right now, but I haven't tried it).
3. In addition to what Allefant said, a good reason to pay for it is that you get automatic updates from the market.
4. Androth Softworks is me. It's just some name I used because the Android Market expects you to have a company name.
futabachan

Post by futabachan »

5. Why does the iPhone port get plugged on the wesnoth.org front page, but not the Android port? The Android port is really very nice.
Susan Davis <futabachan@yahoo.com>
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Because Ivanovic has been busy lately and I’ve also been procrastinating the replacement of that link since two days ago.

EDIT: Okay, fixed now before people start complaining about my laziness.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

6. Any chance to see this wonderful port support foreign languages ?
As a translator, I would be glad to benefit from my own contribution :mrgreen:
The1andONLY

Post by The1andONLY »

Hey Gnork,
yes it is already possible to use other languages, but because of the missing preferences screen you have to edit the file

Code: Select all

sdcard/Android/data/com.androthsoft.battlefree/files/.wesnoth1.8/preferences
or sdcard/Android/data/com.androthsoft.battlefree/files/.wesnoth1.8/preferences
(depends on your version from market) and add your language code in the form of:

locale="de_DE"
after that, put the translationfiles from the pc/mac/linux-version to the right directories on your phone (/files/translations, /files/data/languages, and maybe the many l10n folders in some places like /files/images/misc).

Greetings, The1andONLYdave

//edit: ok, played a little bit: there's even the possibility to display a language-button instead of eg tutorial button in main menu :)
(you don't have to edit the preferences file as written above, but it doesn't hurt if you do) "System-default" is working too, but every change requires you to restart the app.
just change this two lines

{_GUI_BUTTON "tutorial" _"Tutorial"}
#			{_GUI_BUTTON "language" _"Language"}
to this

#			{_GUI_BUTTON "tutorial" _"Tutorial"}
			{_GUI_BUTTON "language" _"Language"}
in the file /sdcard/Android/data/com.androthsoft.battlefree/files/data/gui/default/window/title_screen.cfg
DoorOpener

Post by DoorOpener »

7. Are there any plans to make the Android version available in the Amazon app store?
The1andONLY

Post by The1andONLY »

Hey DoorOpener, ok, thats not a direct answer to your question:
you could download the free version and copy the campaigns to the data folder from the pc version(as cjhopman said some posts above) and just donate the 3euros to the wesnoth-project here :)
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Thank you very much The1andONLY :D
DoorOpener

Post by DoorOpener »

Are there any recommended places I should look to download the apk for The Battle for Wesnoth? I have downloaded from apktop.com and pandaapp.com but both have installation issues (Error downloading data from data_core_music.tar). Since I don't have another android device, I can't download from the android market.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Since this seems to be the thread for Android questions, I have two regarding preferences on the Android.

8) Is there some way to save preferences? Specifically, every time I restart the App I disable all sounds and it appears I have to do that with each restart.

9) Is there some way to change the default path for saves? I'd like to sync my saves between my android and my laptop using Dropbox, but believe I need to be able to change the default saves path to do so.

TIA.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

DoorOpener wrote:Are there any recommended places I should look to download the apk for The Battle for Wesnoth? I have downloaded from apktop.com and pandaapp.com but both have installation issues (Error downloading data from data_core_music.tar). Since I don't have another android device, I can't download from the android market.
Every download requires unique identification provided by the purchase, so you can't use a non-market APK to download from amazon's servers. You *can* however, install the data yourself.
wazow

Post by wazow »

Is the multiplayer version available, yet?
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

The android port is not compatible with Samsung Prevail. I understand it's a low-end phone, but exactly which required features does it not support?
My favorite addon campaigns (made by others): Swamplings | Galuldur's First Journey | To Lands Unknown | The Devil's Flute