Android port coming soon...

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Android port coming soon...

Post by cjhopman »

Hello Battle for Wesnoth players, fans, forum members, etc. I am happy to announce that the port of Battle for Wesnoth to the Android operating system is nearing completion.

While there is currently a sizable pool of testers for this project, some more may be accepted as we approach the release. If you would like to help out with beta testing, please send me a private message with details of your Android device(s). Again, I don't know how many (if any) more testers will be needed.

One more thing, here is a short gameplay preview.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Re: Android port coming soon...

Post by Noy »

Excellent, hope its a big hit!
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Max

Post by Max »

really looks great.

did you ever get in contact with KylePoole? The android port was almost finished (still based on 1.6) - looks like he completely lost interest in wesnoth...
what's it going to cost?

any chance the source might end up (as branch) in the official repository on day?
Llewoj

Post by Llewoj »

It looks beyond great. Can't wait to see it when it's released. :)
cjhopman
Inactive Developer

Post by cjhopman »

Max wrote: did you ever get in contact with KylePoole? The android port was almost finished (still based on 1.6) - looks like he completely lost interest in wesnoth...
I, personally, have not been in contact with KylePoole. From what I understand, he is no longer interested in working on an Android port. (Again, this is second hand and I could be misinformed)
what's it going to cost?
I do not know. As I understand it, the iOS port is $3.99. I feel like that is too high, but we will see.
any chance the source might end up (as branch) in the official repository on day?
One of my priorities with this port was to make it easy to keep in sync with the stable version of Wesnoth. I did not want to be stuck on an old version as is the case with the iOS port. This means that, with the exception of the new dialogs, very little of the Wesnoth source code is changed. And as for the new dialogs, they are all replacing GUI1 dialogs with GUI2 dialogs and I expect they will be incorporated(/modified) into the codebase.
So, ideally, there would be no real need to maintain a separate branch for Android. Practically, there are several difficulties that would have to be worked through to get this done. It is something I have thought about, but it is very low priority at this point. (Of course, as the source will be made available, somebody else could take this on themselves).
pilpilon

Post by pilpilon »

Excellent news
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

I stumbled across the video on youtube, couldn't believe my eyes how well it runs!
I only hope this won't look too tiny on a smartphone screen.

Thanks for your efforts!
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

I am so excited about this. Ever since getting my first android phone a couple of months ago I've been trawling the marketplace for any really decent games to play, but I've found that most of what is on offer is sorely lacking in one way or another.

That's all going to change once Wesnoth releases for android devices... it's almost inconceivable how many hours of gameplay we're going to hold in the palms of our hands.

I've been following the various attempts to port Wesnoth to android and been disappointed every time the project fell through the cracks. As the above poster said: thanks so much for your efforts.

I look forward to hearing more soon! Hopefully like, in the next five minutes or so. :lol2:

PS - I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't flinch at paying $3.99 for this port as it is sure to offer more hours of fun than many full-priced retail games!
SIAS87

Post by SIAS87 »

VERY EXCITED about this port. Turn based games are ideal for mobiles and this is obviously the best turn based game i have played - so bound to be a winner. I would love to try the beta and help in anyway I can. I have PMed you.
Thanks!!!
em3

Post by em3 »

Are there any minimum requirements ready yet? Android version? CPU? Memory?
ride on shooting star
Haruhi

Post by Haruhi »

em3 wrote:Are there any minimum requirements ready yet? Android version? CPU? Memory?
This. I suppose my N1 will be able to run it, but asking will not hurt. Another question:Will you release it on the Android Market? I see some games (PvZ for example) that are only released to the Amazon App Store only available for US, so since I am not in US I just wanna be sure of the availabity.
Morario84

Post by Morario84 »

Oh man I'm super excited about this!
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

I get more excited every time topic reply notification sends me an email about this thread! Hope we can get our hands on this before too much longer, I can't wait to play. :D
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Finally! This is going to be awesome.

I just hope it doesn't cost anything on the market. :cry: I hate it when stuff costs money on the market.
Timshel
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

WWoah, awesome! I google "wesnoth android" every now and then, glad something substantial cropped up. :)

I personally wouldn't mind paying either, wesnoth is well worth it.

Looking forward!