Newbie got a question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

STYJ

Newbie got a question

Post by STYJ »

Hi there,

I'm new to these forums so yeah . I just have a simply question . I just bought the iphone port of BfW and downloaded the PC version of it .

What my question is ... what is the difference between the PC version of BfW and the iphone port ?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Newbie got a question

Post by ancestral »

Many things. Some obvious (screen size, UI), some subtle (the desktop version has updated graphics, music, and engine enhancements). Although it is for the most part the same game, if you play both versions you should see plenty of differences.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

For those who have the iphone's version, how do you find it ?

Do you prefer it over the PC's version ?
Last edited by STYJ on January 15th, 2011, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The major difference is that the iPhone port runs off an altered version of the Wesnoth 1.6 engine, whereas the mainline of Wesnoth has progressed on to 1.8 since then. There've been a lot of changes.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

Oddly, i find that the Iphone's version is harder o.o

I cannot even complete the tutorial on my ipod. (yes i'm noob) but i've done it on my PC .
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Hmmmm. There was some discussion recently about making the Tutorial easier. If that were the case, it would explain why the iPhone version has a harder tutorial. But I don't recall that discussion actually resulting in revisions... there's nothing in the changelogs...
:hmm:

[Edit] Double-checking, the tutorial in 1.9.3 (and 1.8 ) is still very challenging. Some minor errors and a bit of bad luck are all it takes to lose. We really ought to work on that. That said, currently there should be no reason why you can win the tutorial in the PC version but not in the iPhone version.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

Sangel wrote:Hmmmm. There was some discussion recently about making the Tutorial easier. If that were the case, it would explain why the iPhone version has a harder tutorial. But I don't recall that discussion actually resulting in revisions... there's nothing in the changelogs...
:hmm:

[Edit] Double-checking, the tutorial in 1.9.3 (and 1.8 ) is still very challenging. Some minor errors and a bit of bad luck are all it takes to lose. We really ought to work on that. That said, currently there should be no reason why you can win the tutorial in the PC version but not in the iPhone version.
that said, it was probably bad luck that made me lose . But i'll try again (: Just so you guys know, i love the "Back to turn x" feature . without that , i'd probably have lost . very badly xD

and the fact that you made the tutorial challenging is good . Tells us what we're up against when we start the campaign . I started the first one on novice and it took me nearly 2 hours to get past 2-3 scenarios .
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

STYJ wrote:and the fact that you made the tutorial challenging is good . Tells us what we're up against when we start the campaign . I started the first one on novice and it took me nearly 2 hours to get past 2-3 scenarios .
I'm glad to see you're not put off! :D

If you're playing on Novice and encountering trouble, it sounds like you could probably benefit from some of the advice over in the Strategies & Tips forum. Some quick tips I give to newcomers who are having difficulty:
1. Watch that time of day. If you're facing Chaotic foes, don't press the attack at night; fall back and defend.
2. Make sure you're using defensive terrain, like hills and forests, to reduce the damage you take.
3. Try to establish formations so enemies can only attack your units with a couple of units at a time, rather than 3 or 4.
4. If a unit is injured, send it back to a village and use other units to screen its retreat.
5. Take your time! There are nice long turn limits on lower difficulty settings; there's no need (generally) to press forward during adverse times of day.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

Sangel wrote:
STYJ wrote:and the fact that you made the tutorial challenging is good . Tells us what we're up against when we start the campaign . I started the first one on novice and it took me nearly 2 hours to get past 2-3 scenarios .
I'm glad to see you're not put off! :D

If you're playing on Novice and encountering trouble, it sounds like you could probably benefit from some of the advice over in the Strategies & Tips forum. Some quick tips I give to newcomers who are having difficulty:
1. Watch that time of day. If you're facing Chaotic foes, don't press the attack at night; fall back and defend.
2. Make sure you're using defensive terrain, like hills and forests, to reduce the damage you take.
3. Try to establish formations so enemies can only attack your units with a couple of units at a time, rather than 3 or 4.
4. If a unit is injured, send it back to a village and use other units to screen its retreat.
5. Take your time! There are nice long turn limits on lower difficulty settings; there's no need (generally) to press forward during adverse times of day.
1) Yeah i remember the tutorial talking about day and night and chaotic (25% more damage) but i didn't really bother about it xD Maybe i should take notice of that next time .

2) I've got a question about terrain . How come when a horseman with 8 move can only move like 3 moves when going on some other terrain . same applies to when units are retreating . I've got this loyal horseman (from the 2nd scenario) and he moves like 9 steps but there was once i had to retreat but it wouldn't go 9 steps past the lake . of course, i cheated and move back a few moves xD

3) So far the only formation i've got is ..
.X.X
X.H

ignore the dots.
legend: X = soldiers and H = healer / shaman .
Or the other way round depending on where the enemy is from .

4) I noticed that the AI is pretty darn smart and they can even flank at times . Lol . Somehow they like to focus on my units that are on low hp / retreating . And obviously, attack as a group .

5) i had to slow the game down using the accelerate because i wanted to see where my enemies were moving xD

but yeah, i'll use that site for help . Thanks again :D
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

2) I've got a question about terrain . How come when a horseman with 8 move can only move like 3 moves when going on some other terrain .
Different units have different movement costs on different terrains.
Example: The cuttlefish has 8 movement points, but movement costs 1 in deep water, 2 i shallow water and 4 on flats. So it can move 8 hexes in deep water, but only 4 in shallow water and mere 2 on plains.
To view units statistics (including movement cost), right click on a unit and select "Unit Description". (At least in PC version, I don't have an iPhone). The movement costs are on the bottom, next to terrain defenses.
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

Oh ..... that's why . Thanks :D
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

oh and one last question,

when i checked the iphone's version of BfW, it says 1.63v . not 1.8v . unless i'm looking at the wrong thing but i was wondering if any of you guys know if the porter have plans to update the game anytime soon ?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

thespaceinvader wrote:The major difference is that the iPhone port runs off an altered version of the Wesnoth 1.6 engine, whereas the mainline of Wesnoth has progressed on to 1.8 since then. There've been a lot of changes.
;)

I don't think that there are, at least not any time soon.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
STYJ

Post by STYJ »

oh whoops ! i must have gotten it mixed up with the beta version of 1.9 something . my bad :?

Well at least i hope they do it some time later this year !

Thanks for your help again . ^_^