What do you if your teammate is a newb?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

5dPZ

What do you if your teammate is a newb?

Post by 5dPZ »

Hi, I made this post to see how people react to this matter in multiplayer.

It's a 2 vs 2 with random people you don't know, your opponents are good players and your teammate just took a turn where he attacked with all his army on open ground at wrong time of day. He is going to lose entire army in a couple turns.

What are you going to do in this situation?

1. Teach teammate how to play - although his army is already doomed.
2. Concede and leave the game, give your side to your newb teammate.
3. Leave without a word.
4. Kick your teammate if you are host, or try to convince your teammate to leave, then try to make a come back with both sides under your control.
5. Suicide your own army also and try to lose as fast as possible.
6. Start taking your ally's villages, try to maxium your income and stablize the situation with your own army on both fronts.
7. Others, describe what you ususally do =)

Thanks.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: What do you if your teammate is a newb?

Post by Gambit »

When I play with people they normally pick number 1. :lol2:
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

It depends on how newbie the newb, and how much damage they already did, and how many games I've lost earlier that day. Normally I pick number 1, but if i'm in a sufficiently bad mood and the newb is newbie enough then I pick number two or, rarely, number three. (But most of the time I'm the noob :( )
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

5dPZ wrote:Hi, I made this post to see how people react to this matter in multiplayer.

It's a 2 vs 2 with random people you don't know, your opponents are good players and your teammate just took a turn where he attacked with all his army on open ground at wrong time of day. He is going to lose entire army in a couple turns.

What are you going to do in this situation?

1. Teach teammate how to play - although his army is already doomed.
2. Concede and leave the game, give your side to your newb teammate.
3. Leave without a word.
4. Kick your teammate if you are host, or try to convince your teammate to leave, then try to make a come back with both sides under your control.
5. Suicide your own army also and try to lose as fast as possible.
6. Start taking your ally's villages, try to maxium your income and stablize the situation with your own army on both fronts.
7. Others, describe what you ususally do =)

Thanks.
On a normal day, I will pick number 1. But thats a normal day, on a specially bad day, I could pick any number of those; but I'll usually pick 6, and if he complains, I tell him why...

But, I have been known to do number 3 when I get really upset with someone.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Being on the winning team at the end of a game is not the only measure of success. If you can mount an effective resistance that causes heavy casualties for the enemy, possibly even killing one of their leaders in the process, then you are a good tactician. Your ally may even be inspired to listen to what you have to say.

If I can't acheive total victory then I try to acheive partial victory. Sometimes, in their haste to finish a newbie, the enemy will opens a hole in their own defenses. Using an agressive all-or-nothing push at the critical moment can allow you to defeat one of their kings. While you may not win, you can make one of them lose. And if the gambit fails, then at least it was not a slow drawn-out death.

This also explains why I don't like 2v2 Hamlets map. There, you can't take advantage of distraction on the allied front because you share the same front.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

7. Only be on a team with people you know.
8. Only do Free-For-Alls
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Valinor

Post by Valinor »

I usually try to do #1. But if I am tired or in a bad mood and don't feel like teaching, I just keep my mouth shut and do the best I can alone.
TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer »

Hulavuta wrote:7. Only be on a team with people you know.
8. Only do Free-For-Alls
This. I rarely play online games with perfect strangers now... I played an Isar's Cross match some time ago and players quit in less than 5 turns. :augh:
The Dreamer (a.k.a. KK Slider, KKSlider60)
Author of "Minimalist Era" and "Royal Stickmen" (WIP).
http://kkslider60.newgrounds.com/ - My free audio portal in Newgrounds.com - Free album "Back to Basics" out! :D
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If it is not to late to teach I do that, otherwise I generally just let him die and stick it out until he leaves. There have been a couple exceptions such as the one who started insulting me for not 'supporting his attack' whom I simply kicked.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

While I could be considered quite the newb myself by most standards, when it happenned to me in the past I usually tried number 1, until I got that guy who didn't take to my basic teachings, started insulting me, ignoring me and eventually left. So depending on the guy, either I try to teach or keep to myself and try my best. I certainly don't leave: I really dislike leavers in general. It's not because you had a bad start/are clearly loosing that the game can't teach you something/be enjoyable.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

I ask him if he wants to take advice. If not i suggest to declare gg. If he doesn't agree, i go on and do the best i can. Sometimes i take a lot more risk than i normally do, challenging the odds trying to get the opponents into unexpected trouble.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

TheDreamer wrote:
Hulavuta wrote:7. Only be on a team with people you know.
8. Only do Free-For-Alls
This. I rarely play online games with perfect strangers now... I played an Isar's Cross match some time ago and players quit in less than 5 turns. :augh:
I'd recommend avoiding Isar's Cross, because it attracts a lot of that kind of the behaviour.

For the OP - 1 is obviously best. 5 is OK, though you'll be losing the chance to test your skills against a great challenge. The same skills you learn when facing overwhelming numbers can be applied to tactical situations in normal games where a portion of your army is outnumbered. 2 is acceptable if you're too frustrated to play on. All the other options are bad manners and to be avoided.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

In a good mood and perfect day, I would do same with newbie than with good player.

This is in general.
- Chit chat if possible.
- If you have a plan ask if he's ok with it.
- If he has a bad plan, say you think it's not good idea. If he still thinks it's good plan go with it and do your best.
- If you want him to move an unit/units somewhere to help you, ask him if he could help you and move unit "x" to hex "y".
- Give advice only if he ask for them.
- If he does mistakes say nothing. Talking about some1's mistakes during the game helps no1 (unless he wants to talk about his play during the game). After the game you can ask him if he wants to talk about the game.

In the situation described:
- Play out the game do your best to win (this would prolly mean attacking somewhere else or go help your teammate army) and gg in the end.
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
silent

Post by silent »

Normally number 2.

I will generally try to ask my opponent why they do what they do if it looks bad. Normally upon questioning they leave, leaving me to concede, or try number 6.

And upon reflecting, I now begin to understand why I avoid 2 vs 2 these days, It's pretty rare for me to get a partner about the same as me. I seem to end up on either wrong side as the partner to the newb or worse yet being told I am the newb (the latter normally happens if I have the misfortune to play Isars' for some bizzare reason/moment of insanity and random a chaotic faction).
Nexeld

Post by Nexeld »

I just shut up and play and tell others to do the same in case they trash talk too much