Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ElvishThunderer

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by ElvishThunderer »

Hello everyone! My username is ElvishThunderer, though my real name is Dave. I started playing Wesnoth years ago when my dad installed it on my computer, and I've loved it since. I would love to create some content for Wesnoth, and I have so many ideas floating around in my head. Unfortunately I lack any artist talent whatsoever. But that's enough about me for now. But thanks for reading!

~ElvishThunderer :D
kiss

Post by kiss »

Ok

I really don't need to do that because I found it useless. Hello, I'm here ... and nothing more, you understand ...
But I'm in front of a noway road and do not have other choices. So here it is.

I'm a weak player, I say that because I never reach any top in any game. But I'm a player ... from the beginning of electronics games and even computers. As an example, my first one was ... huuuu, I don't remember of course ... but no hard drive!
About games the list is too long, the first one???? ... Pong? I don't remember, sorry.

Well you don't care about that but games. I'm sure I forgot a lot of them, but I have my own list, trying all I've found, some are still here forever, the list is ... short
: go, poker, crossfire (I'm waiting for a revival), and now perhaps BfW.
Ryanjtombs

Post by Ryanjtombs »

Hello. I am new to the Battle for Wesnoth game- I saw it on my friends Computer and loved it!

I was messing around with the Game in a Local Server and found a thing called 'Debug'. When I activated it by typing ':debug' I could create any unit, where-ever I wanted, and change units sides. I also noticed that I could change units hitpoints and experience... etc.

I was wondering if there was a way to change the damage of a unit via these Commands. So say the Ancient Lich's 'Touch' Attack could deal say 15 Damage every time!

I am new here so I apologise if I have posted this on the wrong area!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Ryanjtombs wrote:I was wondering if there was a way to change the damage of a unit via these Commands.
A few of the developers probably have the skill to do it on a running game, but not really. However, it is very easy to change the lich's definition file. (It's called Necro_Lich.cfg. You will have to restart BfW, and this won't affect any saved games where a scenario is already in progress. That's harder.) If you start doing this kind of thing though, multiplayer won't work any more. To solve that problem, you could create your own era with the changes you want and convince other people to use it, but that takes quite a bit of work.

Look under "Create" at the top of this page for more info on modifying the game. If you have more questions about that, WML Workshop is the best place to ask.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Ryanjtombs

Post by Ryanjtombs »

beetlenaut wrote:
Ryanjtombs wrote:I was wondering if there was a way to change the damage of a unit via these Commands.
A few of the developers probably have the skill to do it on a running game, but not really. However, it is very easy to change the lich's definition file. (It's called Necro_Lich.cfg. You will have to restart BfW, and this won't affect any saved games where a scenario is already in progress. That's harder.) If you start doing this kind of thing though, multiplayer won't work any more. To solve that problem, you could create your own era with the changes you want and convince other people to use it, but that takes quite a bit of work.

Look under "Create" at the top of this page for more info on modifying the game. If you have more questions about that, WML Workshop is the best place to ask.
Hmmmm is there any easy thing I could do to just edit the Units Attack Damage?
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Editing the attack damage would probably be awkward if it's possible at all, but there's many similar things you can do easily, like edit number of attacks left and hp... see this list for instance.

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37841
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

if you know the position (x, y) of the unit you can maybe change the attack of the unit with (not tested):

Code: Select all

:lua wesnoth.add_modification(wesnoth.get_unit(x,y), "object", { { "effect", { apply_to = "attack",  increase_damage = 10 } } } )
you can make your life easier by making a fucntion for those things just write at wml toplevel:

[lua]
code = 
<<
  local T = helper.set_wml_tag_metatable {}
  function add_damage(x, y, increase)
    wesnoth.add_modification(
      wesnoth.get_unit(x,y), 
      "object", 
      {
        T.effect {
          apply_to = "attack",  
          increase_damage = 10 
        } 
      }
    )
  end
>>
[lua]
which you can then in commandmode use like

:lua add_damage(5,2,20)
this then increase teh damage of the attack fo unit at (4,2) by 20.
When i debug my addons (or test core features) i often have multiple of such helperdebug commands.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
meticulo

Post by meticulo »

Hello all,

I am meticulo and i have been playing this game on linux for several years. I now want to play online but there never seem to be any free games. How can I find a game to join? Is there a planned schedule? I am bored with fight the AI :(
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You're probably trying to find games on the development version, that's a rare chance these days.

If you download the stable version you should be able to find people on the standard server.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
thrashtics

Post by thrashtics »

Howdy people of Wesnoth. I've known about BfW for quite some time, I just never bothered to download it for whatever reason. I'm a huge fan of strategy games, and recently have been on a hunt for a good one. Remembered Wesnoth and thought, why not?

So glad I jumped in, I haven't completed a campaign yet, but slowly learning the ropes. I chose The South Guard as my first campaign, on Soldier difficulty. I was pleasantly surprised when I died on the tutorial. Thankfully, I like a challenge, so Wesnoth is a good fit for me. I am about halfway through the campaign and it's quite the ride so far. I find I have to quit after a failure or two, but it's a matter of hours (sometimes minutes) before I load it back up and give it another shot. Wholly love the design and am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of content.

Anyhow, thought I'd register so I could pick your brains and learn more about the game. It's an outstanding strategy game, but that's just preaching to the choir, I'm sure. Catch you cats and kittens around the board, most likely.
brabar

Post by brabar »

Good evening people of Wesnoth,

I'm back after 3 years, really re-discovering the game ! ...

Stuck with some kind of difficulty in The Legend of Wesmere, in the "costly vengeance" scenario ... which discussion is locked, after my last post 3 years ago ... O_o

Well ... if anybody is still alive after all these years, I'm just surprised that, once I've put my units along the forest line NorthWest, facing pure snow, no fiend is attacking my units ...

They stay away, moving like nuts around themselves, and I'm not going to move from my good position ...

So what ?

What should be done to get through that stupid nonsense ?
Sorry for my poor english, it's not my native language
love_hate68

Post by love_hate68 »

hey y'all first time posting love the game don't care for some of the mechanics though primarily what I like to call free attacks, example when one of your units who normally has lets say 2 attacks is being attacked by an enemy unit with 4 attacks, the last 2 of the enemies amount to free attacks as your unit will only defend itself for its 2 attacks, this really should be changed, so that regardless of how many attacks your unit normally receives, it will continue to defend itself against any number of attacks. I cant tell you how tired I am of seeing units fall to these " free attacks " lets face it, if you were fighting someone your not gonna just stand there and let them hit you over an over again, no your not your going to keep swinging as long as they are swinging at you, I do not know how such a fundamental aspect as defending oneself managed to escape the creators of this games attention.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

@love_hate68: Well, first: WINR, so i doubt stucking real life considerations on a game will make things move...

More than that, i think you've misunderstood something... Those aren't "free attacks", and units aren't letting themselves get hit... Those attacks have the same probability of hitting than the others, and while i can understand it can be quite frustrating to see the enemy continue attacking while your unit can't anymore, it's part of the game.
This is actually used to balance things, but also makes sense: it's normal that an elvish archer can fire more arrows than a human one, or that a human spearman will have more opportunities to hit than a heavy infantryman. It reflects the attack speed of units.
In a RTS, it would be seen as how human swordman can hit more in the same amount of time than an orc grunt. And i doubt anyone's complaining seeing that in a RTS. So imagine you put 2 RTS units against each other, determine how many time they will hit, who will die... and then make them alternate hits perfectly until only the fastest unit can continue to hit. That's what happens in Wesnoth.
It would be possible to add a randomization of the order of hits, as in maybe not alternating hits perfectly, but it would put the little bit of randomization that would be too much for most.

All in all, this system is, from what i know, quite normal in a turn-based strategy game. And i doubt anyone will make the developpers do any change in that direction, especially not in a presentation post... Try posting in "ideas" and add some arguments. Or code your own mod to have that.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

love_hate68 wrote:lets face it, if you were fighting someone your not gonna just stand there and let them hit you over an over again, no your not your going to keep swinging as long as they are swinging at you, I do not know how such a fundamental aspect as defending oneself managed to escape the creators of this games attention.
Obviously, you haven't done any kind of real life fighting. There are a variety of factor that could explain those free attacks: you're just plain slower than your opponent; you use your energy trying to parry, be it with shield or weapon, the many incoming strikes; an opponent landed a good hit and you are quite stunned; you were hurt earlier and are unable to defend yourself and attack as effectively; the opponent is intimidating and you are scared out of your mind; the opponent has a longer reach than you and you have a hard time returning blows; the opponent has a shorter reach and managed to pass your guard, you are unable to use your weapon effectively at such close range; it is dark and you can't see well; you are tired/hungry/thirtsty/cold/hot/whatever and this impairs your fighting abilities; there's sweat in your eyes and it stings; etc.

Truth be told, if you really wanted to take take the realistic approach, it might just be even more realistic to not allow counter-attacks at all. After all, when an opponent swings its weapon at you, counter-attacking on the spot often means opening your guard and not living to see another day. You would much rather dodge or parry.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
PaperWall_

Post by PaperWall_ »

IM PAPERWALL_