What a wonderful game!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: What a wonderful game!

Post by Velensk »

Many people have problems with Wesnoth because they attempt to play it like Fire Emblem. Many mechanics that look similar on the surface have significantly different connotations when transferred over. In particular there is a tendency of Fire Emblem players to build up a small core of level 3s and just keep using them (with maybe a few recruits if there is any spare gold) and struggle very hard to keep them alive. This tends to lead to frustration as it is frequently not a good idea in Wesnoth campaigns especially the longer ones.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

Maybe you experts could give me some help. Yes, loosing units hurts me as a player of FE. But I think I can handle it and will work my way through the general ideas of Wesnas oth, which I think I have not grasped yet. But in the Southguard-Campaign for example, as I wrote already, I recently fight in "Into the depths". If I lose several of my High-Level-Units, I might lose the entire campaign. I will have to start again.

But as I take it, I should not cling to my units so much.
Thanks for the general hints and the warm welcome in the forum.
Greetz Sebi
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have actually never played the southguard so I cannot give you advice on the specific scenario nor what follows however here are a few specific notes on how things work differently on the topic of keeping units alive (all given advice is generalities, there will be situations in which it does not apply).

Unlike in FE, the strategies in most scenarios need not be dependent on your average troop (or even your vanguard) being significantly stronger than the average enemy unit. On the other hand, it helps a lot when your enemy is recruiting level 2s if you can at least match their quality. Because of this it is generally more useful to have many level 2s than a few level 3s.

The upkeep of a unit is equal to its level (unless loyal). Fielding level 3/4s will generally drain your gold reserves substantially even when in small numbers . This becomes a problem because if you don't build gold reserves for the tougher scenarios they will become incredibly difficult.

Experience taken by max level units is generally wasted. They do get a very slight bonus if they level up again but for the same amount of experience you could get two more level 2s. Because of this max level units are generally best used in roles that do not give them kills (weakening enemy units, soaking up damage, using healing or leadership abilities. Keeping the majority of your force level 1s also makes it easier to stockpile level 2 units for scenarios when you want to field large numbers of them and keeps your upkeep down so that you can better afford it.

You cannot heal your tough units anywhere near as quickly as you can in FE. If your tank with 60-70 hitpoints is worn down to the red it will take several turns before he is back in top condition. In tougher battles you will need forces to cover them when they wear down and/or sacrificial units to take the heat.

It almost always easier to replace units than in fire emblem. There are a few exceptions (things like higher level mages) but generally if you keep a decent amount of fresh blood in your army you should be able to replace level 2 losses without too much difficulty. Level 3s are harder but as noted you should not be using level 3s as often and level 2s that you use have a way of accumulating experience even if you don't mean them to. This does not mean that you can carelessly throw them away but it does mean that you should not worry about your ability to beat the campaign if you lose a few to a tougher scenario.

As a final note, do not let what I've said scare you away from using leveled units. Used properly they can both allow you to win levels quicker (more gold) and make it easier to level your lower leveled units. Just be cautious about over recruiting/experiancing them and know that losing them is not the end of the campaign.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

Thanks for these introductory words to the general thoughts of strategy in Wesnoth.
I think it'll take some time to handle the general ideas of the game. By the way, are there add ons which work rather like Fire Emblem?
Greetz
Sebi
No, I don't wanna play again, I lost for the umptieth time. - Five minutes later - Oh, I'm gonna try once again, only once.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

None that I can think of off the top of my head, but the RPG-type addons are probably closest.
MDG

Post by MDG »

@Sebi, welcome to the forums.

If you are not already aware of them, there are walkthroughs of all the official campaigns here. In addition, you are perfectly entitled to post up in the strategies & tips section of the forum to post up replays and ask the experts for feedback and advice (not everyone that responds will be an expert though. Velensk knows what he is talking about and is already helping you with general stuff anyway. Good start!).
Sebi

Post by Sebi »

MDG wrote:@Sebi, welcome to the forums.

If you are not already aware of them, there are walkthroughs of all the official campaigns here. In addition, you are perfectly entitled to post up in the strategies & tips section of the forum to post up replays and ask the experts for feedback and advice (not everyone that responds will be an expert though. Velensk knows what he is talking about and is already helping you with general stuff anyway. Good start!).
Thanks again for these words of welcome, the community seems to share quite a close bond here, I really like that. Of the official walkthroughs I already was aware, but thanks nevertheless ;) .

And in all, I think beating campaigns is just a matter of experience, maybe I should play the campaign all over again to gain a rather broad positioning. What we already discussed is that I have to abandon my fear for every unit.

And for not every single member of the forum being an expert, who cares, discussion even with people who don't have a clue about anything can be refreshing sometimes. I believe everyone has an own style of strategy and one cannot play against it, at least not if you can call upon veterans.

All in all, Wesnoth is a great game, which drives me into addiction ;) . Just like: "Damned, I lost again, I swear I never will play again. - 5 Minutes later - Oh, I could do one more try, just the one. " :D

Greetz
Sebi