CC0 Content Question

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

CC0 Content Question

Post by artisticdude »

Since the CC0 license basically gives anyone the right to do anything with CC0 content, would it be acceptable to use it in a Wesnoth add-on? If so, would you have to re-license it under the GPL, or would it be acceptable to use it under the CC0 license?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Spell

Re: CC0 Content Question

Post by Spell »

Usually you can have multiple licenses where everyone can choose which license they use. So you could dual-license your work with the GPL and the CC-0. It would be GPL then, and thus suitable for the addon server but at the same time everyone who needs the rights of the CC-0 license can use your stuff under that license.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

artisticdude wrote:Since the CC0 license basically gives anyone the right to do anything with CC0 content, would it be acceptable to use it in a Wesnoth add-on? If so, would you have to re-license it under the GPL, or would it be acceptable to use it under the CC0 license?
Yes, since CC0 gives each person accessing the add-on server the right to instantly relicense it as GPL.
Spell wrote:So you could dual-license your work with the GPL and the CC-0.
No. You could do that, but that would be silly and redundant, it would be equivalent of only licensing it as CC0.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Blarumyrran wrote:Yes, since CC0 gives each person accessing the add-on server the right to instantly relicense it as GPL.
Okay, thanks very much. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."