Bad manners?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huumy

Bad manners?

Post by Huumy »

Lately I have seen lot this going on in 1v1 multiplayer games:
Other player has good luck, then he/she says "I'm sorry for the luck".

I don't get why you should be (or even say you are) sorry for your good luck/other player bad luck.
It's not like you wake up in the morning and say to your mistress of luck, "today we gonna pwn some1 in wesnoth."
But that's fine with me I don't mind some1 saying he/she is sorry if that what he/she wants to do and I do that sometimes myself.

Usually tho I don't say "sorry" instead I type a smiley, "heh" or "omg" when some1 is having ridicilous luck.

So what you people think, is it bad manners not to say you are sorry when having good luck?
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Bad manners?

Post by ancestral »

I don't understand how it could be anyone's fault for simply playing the game.

Unless done tactlessly I see no harm sympathizing with your opponent when things are turning one-sided.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

Unfortunately, we can see this kind of sentence more than "good moves or good job"....

Sometimes, we just don't know if we play good or not because of our nice little RNG moods....

Or even if we did some good moves this is pulled down by some manners like "You are SO lucky".....

Luck is more sermonizing on server than everywhere else... for the best and for the worst!

The best way to consider these manners is to know if they are fair or not.... which is very hard to know because luck can not be apprehended.
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Huumy wrote:Lately I have seen lot this going on in 1v1 multiplayer games:
Other player has good luck, then he/she says "I'm sorry for the luck".

I don't get why you should be (or even say you are) sorry for your good luck/other player bad luck.
It's not like you wake up in the morning and say to your mistress of luck, "today we gonna pwn some1 in wesnoth."
But that's fine with me I don't mind some1 saying he/she is sorry if that what he/she wants to do and I do that sometimes myself.

Usually tho I don't say "sorry" instead I type a smiley, "heh" or "omg" when some1 is having ridicilous luck.

So what you people think, is it bad manners not to say you are sorry when having good luck?
It is not bad manners to not appologise for luck. However I do prefer that reponce to the ones you listed. IMO, not commenting on it at all is perfectly acceptable.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

hiro hito wrote:Unfortunately, we can see this kind of sentence more than "good moves or good job"....
Because showing your surprise gives clues to your opponent. :twisted:
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

There are two reasons for people to do this. One is that it's good sportsmanship. I don't think it's rude to not apologize, but I think it is polite to apologize when the RNG screws your opponent, especially in critical moments. A mage misses 3/3 and fails to kill the almost dead unit that was about to level? Their attack at their favored time of day whiffs horribly and they end up with -40% inflicted? Getting bad luck is frustrating, and your opponent acknowledging that the RNG is playing a significant role in the game and is in their favor can make it less irritating.

The second reason is because a sudden large or critical RNG swing can make a fun, interesting, close game suddenly become one-sided, and can make the game less fun for the winner and the loser. Most people don't like entirely one-sided games.

The particular phrasing, of saying "sorry for my luck" instead of "heh" or "omg haha" or something similar, lets the other player know unambiguously that you are sympathizing with them, not laughing at them.
Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

Personally, I don't think that you should have to be sorry about anything in any game since it's just a game. If something happens that makes the game frustrating for one person the game isn't fun anymore and they should just stop playing if they get mad about being unlucky or for that matter, getting beaten fare and square.
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

The way I see it, it's kind of a ritual of sorts--like saying "good luck, have fun" at the beginning, and ending with "good game" or "nice match." It's to be polite, and acknowledge that you realize that it was luck that messed them up there, rather than poor judgement.

While I confess that I see the opposite quite a bit more often, I see no problem with sympathizing with the opponent's poor luck, and don't consider it poor manners at all.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

This seems a bit of a speciality of the english language ...

"I'm sorry for your bad luck" effectively means "I wish you had better luck", but is often read as "It is my fault that you had this bad luck, please excuse me."
Saying the first one is no way a problem (if the person really had bad luck), the second would be simply wrong (if you didn't manipulate the RNG).
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Normally in those situations I bring up my Wesnoth addage "Bad luck now, good luck later... probably ;) ".
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

It's being polite to apologize when, during a match or some sort of competition, things get your way due to luck instead of skill. For instance in tennis, when a shot hits the very border of the net, jumps it and drops just behind it (winning you a point because there's no way your opponent can reach it in time), the player would gesture "sorry" with his hand, not because his opponent's bad luck was his fault, but because he won the point mainly by chance (he never intended for the ball to do what it actually did).
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Huumy wrote:...It's not like you wake up in the morning and say to your mistress of luck, "today we gonna pwn some1 in wesnoth..."
Well, not every morning...

BTW I never apologise for making someone my 8*+(# in a 1 on 1 match.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

I've seen a few of these "bad manners" thread, and oddly enough, people seem to always complain about trivial things or common courtesy… Sure it may sound silly for people to appologize for things they have absolutely no control over, but they do it out of empathy because they truly feel bad the AI is screwing you over… So how about next time you just try answering "thanks, let's hope it'll get better next round/game…" ;)

Just sayin', don't be a hater… ;)
ArchRogue

Post by ArchRogue »

I think if a game is so unfair because of luck and you know: he will type "omg lucker"... well, it can prevent those annyoing comments. Just type a quick sorry for the luck or deal with some grumbling. No offense in any way.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I never apologize for the RNG, and honestly, it drives me crazy when an opponent does. Saying "sorry" implies that there is something terrible about RNG/luck fluctuations, which I strongly disagree with. I think that people who say this sort of thing are also quick to believe that luck can ruin a game, and I don't like that sort of view either.

People need to chill out about the RNG. 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme