Iron Man Mode

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

calmon

Iron Man Mode

Post by calmon »

Hi,

i played wesnoth some years ago and find it a very good game, especially in playing the different campaigns.

I really like challanging strategy games and play in hardest mode in generel.

But the biggest problem i'd with the game is that in all campaigns there is a point when my forces are fully upgraded and i rarely feel a challenge in the upcoming battle.

The biggest problem at this point is that most of your unit needs to survive to have them in the next scenario.

Sadly enough i catch myself often enough by reloading a turn in which i lost 1 or more units which leads to the problem that often enough all units survived and the game become less and less challenging.

So what i want is something like an iron man mode which don't let me save during a scenario OR really a restrict saving.

This would give me a additional thrill and far more attention when and how using my units. I would really think twice for every action and i would accept more losses than i did in the past (or restart the whole scenario as penalty).

Is it possible to implement such a mode? (or maybe its already implemented in the newer versions, like said i played 2-3 years ago?)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Iron Man Mode

Post by Velensk »

When you start up the game open the command bar and enter nosaves. This will turn off autosaves.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

Or you could, you know, have some self-restraint. :)
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

lmelior wrote:Or you could, you know, have some self-restraint. :)
Lol.

The analogy that sprung to mind when reading the thread is an Alcoholic asking for a new type of bottle that can never be opened.
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
calmon

Post by calmon »

Thanks Velenks for the tipp! Auto-Save off works fine.

I would still prefer a iron man mode where you can only save+exit game and all savegames are deleted as soon as the game loads.

Maybe some sort of game crash security save not loadable by player only after crash.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Don't treat just the symptom, look into the problem instead. Try playing through a campaign and never load up a save just because you've lost one of your leveled unit (pinch yourself as self-punishment everytime you failed to do so, or use another method to remind yourself).

It is not nearly as fun in wesnoth relying on odds such as 60% chance to hit always registering or that a unit with 70% def will never be touched. Just like in real life or even any fictional universe, when armies engage in battle, rarely do one side come out entirely unscathed. What i'd suggest you doing is recruit mostly level 1 fodders, while recalling a few leveled up units as to spearhead your forces. This way you won't always be relying on leveled up units, and should they be decimated, you can always hope for some fodders being fortunate enough to level up and replace them.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
calmon

Post by calmon »

I just play a campaign (the Orc Campaign on v. hard) with the self restricted rule to not load during scenario and it works! I'm now on Scenario 7 or 8 and only reload (the turn 1 save) after lost.

A lot more fun!
Greep

Post by Greep »

play some 1 vs 1 multiplayer. It'll definately kick your reload habit when you know how to live without it.

Edit: and yeah, the campaigns are incomparably more fun without reloading.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

or play multiplayer campaigns..though that's short in supply..still gives playing without reload with a campaign plot
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here