Random maps

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nabo0o

Random maps

Post by Nabo0o »

First I must congratulate you all in the great work you have done in creating such a complete and diverse game, and all for free! I have played most of the standard maps now, and even though they are great they are also limited in space and diversity, of course as a direct consequence of the fact that they aren't unlimited in number.

So, then I tried the random map generator just to test it, and I didn't really expect so much from it, but it actually creates many interesting and unusual maps! In some way, the maps it create have a sort of realism to them which I don't find in the standard maps, probably because there is more space and more of a battlefield/terrain feel to it. If that makes sense.

As I see it, this is a future of the game which could really be important, if it was enhanced even more to generate diverse and yet sensible maps.

For example, if there simply was more parameters which we could adjust, in the same way as before, then that would in itself have been a huge improvement :)

This topic was only meant to be a constructive helper to let you developers know what some of your users thinks of your work, and not a criticism of the maps following the game, they're great!

Julian
Thanatos

Re: Random maps

Post by Thanatos »

Nabo0o wrote:So, then I tried the random map generator just to test it, and I didn't really expect so much from it, but it actually creates many interesting and unusual maps! In some way, the maps it create have a sort of realism to them which I don't find in the standard maps, probably because there is more space and more of a battlefield/terrain feel to it. If that makes sense.
What you'd call "interesting", "unusual" and "sort of realism" would be translated by most of the players as "unbalanced", I guess.
Balance is the main reason for the standard maps looking so boring sometimes. However, if you want a good game, I recommend those standard maps.

Also: Which parameters exactly did you have in mind?
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Nabo0o

Re: Random maps

Post by Nabo0o »

Well maybe unusual battles can come at the cost of balance, but we could sporty about it :lol2:
About the parameters, there are two of them that seems to have extra much control over the final resulting map, the amount of mountain and its max size. If I play with these the map can suddenly have much more water , or even more snow it seems, they are not just affecting the mountains.

What I am asking for would maybe be a more precise control of the amount of forest, frozen, water and all the other terrain types. It is already quite a lot you can do with the few options given, so I can't complain. But a little more specific control wouldn't be a bad thing.