First post and a question.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Symbiote

First post and a question.

Post by Symbiote »

First, an introduction.

My name is John.

Started playing Wesnoth about a week ago, and it rocks. Best overhead strategy game available natively for Ubuntu except for maybe Warzone 2100.

In fact, I played a 3-way game here at home with my wife and our 6 year old daughter, finished it about 10 minutes ago.

My wife got rushed early and was broke, had her king but couldn't recruit.

That leads me to my question:

Is there any way to transfer gold between allied players?
Zarel

Re: First post and a question.

Post by Zarel »

Symbiote wrote:except for maybe Warzone 2100.
:D
(Zarel = Warzone developer)
Symbiote wrote:Is there any way to transfer gold between allied players?
Nope. Sorry. :( You can let them take your villages, but that's as far as it'll go.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is no way to transfer gold among allies unless it is specifically built into the scenario with events.

Greetings, and I hope you enjoy yourself playing.

@Zarel I didn't make the connection until he mentioned it and you replied. I thought that your game seemed decently done but not my sort of thing. The things that bothered me the most were how clunky the unit control felt (I'm a Starcraft player) and the length of time that it seemed to do anything near the end of the first mission (even as I continued to build factories closer and closer to the front the action seemed to keep getting further away

In General: Personally I still think that Alien Crossfire is the better strategy game, but Wesnoth is defiantly the superior tactics game.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

There are several addons in which you can trade with other players. But they have other special rules you may or may not like.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Why isn't trading gold added to the default gameplay? I can only see advantages from it.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Because it would remove some of the depth from team games, most likely. For one thing, if one leader remains at their keep, the rest can go out fighting and give their gold to the leader at a keep. Also, it would make it much easier for a player to acquire reinforcements, because instead of having to travel to help a beleaguered ally, players could just give him or her gold to buy more units. Basically, if you wanted to help your ally, you wouldn't have to plan ahead as much, and there would be less incentive to keep all the leaders near the keeps. In fact, on some maps, it would probably be a valid strategy to treat some of the leaders as expendable L2 units right from the start.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It also means players can come to rely on their allies.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Which happens enough already. :P
Brief off-topic remark, but hey Gambit I tried your signature out on a Northerners player and it psyched him out so badly he left his wolf rider exposed :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The primary reason it has not been implemented is to avoid strategic abuse. Also, having it as a standard feature of the game would require it to be disabled in some UMC.

Offtopic: yeah.... after watching that show I was playing Wesnoth as rebels and I felt tempted to burst into singing "With Catlike tread" while moving my wose around.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Velensk wrote:@Zarel I didn't make the connection until he mentioned it and you replied. I thought that your game seemed decently done but not my sort of thing. The things that bothered me the most were how clunky the unit control felt (I'm a Starcraft player) and the length of time that it seemed to do anything near the end of the first mission (even as I continued to build factories closer and closer to the front the action seemed to keep getting further away

In General: Personally I still think that Alien Crossfire is the better strategy game, but Wesnoth is defiantly the superior tactics game.
At the risk of further derailing this thread...

Warzone still has many flaws, although the multiplayer experience is quite good at this point, as long as you only play with people you know or on the IRC channel (I've heard the in-game lobby has a lot of cheaters). It's a slower-paced game than StarCraft (but keep in mind most people play StarCraft on the "fastest" setting).
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Symbiote

Post by Symbiote »

Gambit wrote:There are several addons in which you can trade with other players. But they have other special rules you may or may not like.
Where can I find these addons?
501st_alpha1

Post by 501st_alpha1 »

Off topic
Heh... I just downloaded Warzone from PortableApps.com. In fact, that's what I use to run Wesnoth, even though there isn't an official installer... Anyway, I haven't had a chance to try Warzone out yet. Maybe sometime next week.
Last edited by 501st_alpha1 on February 8th, 2010, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

And this is relevant because ...?

Your post is likely to attract the spambot radar. I'm sorry but your account and post fit the profile. Quick! Act human!
MDG

Post by MDG »

Symbiote wrote:
Gambit wrote:There are several addons in which you can trade with other players. But they have other special rules you may or may not like.
Where can I find these addons?
Add-on content is accessed on the add-on server which you can connect to from the main (initial) menu of your Battle for Wesnoth game.
501st_alpha1

Post by 501st_alpha1 »

Gambit wrote:And this is relevant because ...?
Um... because Warzone was mentioned in the first post, along with several others. Nevertheless, I put it in a Section tag with the label, "Off topic".
Gambit wrote:Your post is likely to attract the spambot radar.
The what?
Gambit wrote:Quick! Act human!
I would have sooner, but I was away for the weekend. (And not only was there no Internet, there was, *gasp*, no cell coverage!)