Favorite Unit

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Re: Favorite Unit

Post by TheGreatRings »

Synik wrote:Ulfseeker / Berserker is my favorite.
Of course he dies fast, but he can usually take a few with em in return :)

Plus they are great for one of the most deciding factors in MP.
Fear Factor.
Even if you don't attack with an ulf, just his presence in your ranks will make you opponent think twice about where he places his ranged units, thus reducing possible attacks on your army as well in return.
Oh I agree regarding its intimidation value. I tend to play cautiously when my opponent has an Ulf, and in some games that hesitancy might be fatal.

Given that the Ulf will probably die vs most melee units, and can take considerable damage against many ranged units, and thus even if it wins on its attack might very well die from the enemy's retaliation on the next turn, I consider it arguably more useful for its psychological effect than for its actual combat value.

I still don't think its really worth the gold, though. Consider that the 14 gold elvish fighter, to take just one example, can usually handle an Ulf. Not sure how well spearmen stack up, but they could probably take it pretty easily too.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Araja

Post by Araja »

I like the moments where a ghost uses them as free healing :wink:
Scipion121212

Post by Scipion121212 »

Drake burner, his new sprite look so bad*** I couldn´t believe my eyes.
Cavalryman because how amazing in MP he actually is.
And finally grand knight because I love to see big numbers on my screen!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Thieves
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
gorgolok

Post by gorgolok »

Bandits - they're the coolest looking from the Thug line, and they have that awesome *klonk* *klonk* *klonk* *klonk* sound effect
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I can believe no one mentioned: Saurian Augur :D

I mean, 16 gold for:
  • 6 move points
  • great move type
  • magical attack
  • healing
  • good melee for a lv1 mage
It is pure awesomeness, unless fighting undead. :lol2:
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Vampire Bat + 8MP + 0 upkeep + drain + 60% evasion on just about any terrain + 1 mvt cost for any terrain = awesomeness

Otherwise, I'd go with a Saurian Skirm.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

vampire bats aren't really awesome, but they are extremely annoying, especially if you get a run of bad luck. now dread bats on the other hand...those things are just plain evil without a mage handy :twisted:
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Mainline: Spearmen, ahhh spearmen footsoldiers are so under appreciated.

My First Era: It'd be a tie up between Sarissans, Lucifer, and Parasites.

My Second Era: Definatly gotta be the Night Ops or Sniper.

Other UMC: The Chaos Foot Soldiers, I forget the name but they were like uber-spearmen.

Araja's post gave me a smile :)
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

I liked clashers. But the new ones are so hideous its unbelievable. Looks like a warcraft orc now.

So probably skel archer. I like the idle animation.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

My favorite units are in the Thug line, cheap but still powerful with a damage type that few resist.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
nebula955

Post by nebula955 »

in default, the wose. The best lvl 1 unit. period.

for others, i like the lancer. the 26-3 (?) that can hit pretty much anywhere in the battle makes it the most powerful unit in the game, esp for lvl 2. that and the risky thrill of it
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

nebula955 wrote:in default, the wose. The best lvl 1 unit. period.
Besides the lack of speed, the lack of dodge, and the obvious weakness to fire, yeah.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

for others, i like the lancer. the 26-3 (?) that can hit pretty much anywhere in the battle makes it the most powerful unit in the game, esp for lvl 2. that and the risky thrill of it
You know, you should seriously consider adding an "IMO" to your statements to avoid getting snarked.

Unless of course you seriously believe that the Wose is the best unit, in which case you're either suffering from a small delusion, or have a unique definition of "best". Like if "best" were to mean "most HP", then you would be right.
Darkmage
Translator

Post by Darkmage »

Skrim wrote:

You know, you should seriously consider adding an "IMO" to your statements to avoid getting snarked.

Unless of course you seriously believe that the Wose is the best unit, in which case you're either suffering from a small delusion, or have a unique definition of "best". Like if "best" were to mean "most HP", then you would be right.

Sincerely, there is not a best unit, there are units with a better use on different moments, i mean, wose are great units if you to crush things on low def or block, also quite good to make the bones no longer move(guess i talk about the skeletons), but in retaliation, at night vs undead are quite crappy, attack goes down to 9(more or less) and retaliation goes higher and just wait an adept to hit the wose twice. And for lancer, the same, the counter of a firststrike pikeman may not be deadly, but doubled and having 3 hits is something to be aware of.
I used to think mages were highly powerful, and then hordes of orc grunts changed my mind.