Wesnoth 2.0

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Wesnoth 2.0

Post by Gambit »

ivanovic wrote:The real reasons to name it 2.0 are mainly technical, often plain internal and maybe not even directly user visible.
[wishful thinking]
Like making WML more powerful? :)
[/wishful thinking]
Now that I think of it. This whole thread violates your "don't ask when it will be ready" rule. XD
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

ivanovic wrote:Since I should have a good idea when 2.0 is "ready" (hey, I am the release manager...) here is what I think will be required before we can seriously things about getting 2.0 out (the list is by no means static or complete):
Great post! I agree that basically completing all of the current ambitious projects would lead to 2.0, which is where people start thinking up new ambitious projects. There isn't really going to be anything that radical between 1.8 and 2.0, but rather the completion of all the major things that have already been started.

Of course, this still leaves a few questions because "complete" is somewhat subjective. For instance, would 2.0 include north-facing unit base frames or is that the next big thing after 1.x? At what point is the AI "good enough"? The only thing that has a clearly defined measure of completion is MP campaigns being as feature-complete as SP campaigns.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Aethaeryn wrote:Of course, this still leaves a few questions because "complete" is somewhat subjective.
When Wesnoth 2.0 comes out it will be complete. The devs will all unanimously decide to walk away, the artists will fold up shop, and count on the forum closing in two weeks' time. Wesnoth has had its run. Put a fork in it, it's done, thanks for the memories, kthxbai
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

?

2.0 != dead
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ancestral wrote:[...] and count on the forum closing in two weeks' time.
Not while I live.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

And with the server shutting down, the bodily functions of shadowmaster will shut down.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

nah, they begin working on wesnoth 3.0, which will include a 2-D fighter engine for combat, to remove luck from the game. Stats will effect the life, damage, and lag of moves, and the like.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Thrawn wrote:Stats will effect the life, damage, and lag of moves
lol wesnoth will revolutionize the industry with its random packet latency generator.

Will the server register that you hit the enemy first? Or did you already die before you even saw him and it's just taking a while for your pc to realize it.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

shadowmaster wrote:
ancestral wrote:[...] and count on the forum closing in two weeks' time.
Not while I live.
So, definitely in your lifetime, then?

Oh the sarcasm I use!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer