Single favorite unit/line of units per faction.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Single favorite unit/line of units per faction.

Post by TheGreatRings »

Just something I'm wondering:

If you were going to be dropped into a game, not knowing what you might face, and would only be able to recruit one type of unit/line of units (recruiting level ones), which would you choose? Which do you consider the most useful, or versatile? Why?

Also, is your favorite unit for each faction different from the one you find most practically useful or versatile? If so, feel free to include that as well. Here are my choices:

Loyalist: spearman. Its cheap, has a good melee attack, and is not utterly helpless at range. Its particularly effective against cavalry and drakes. However, my favorite line of Loyalist units is the mage line, followed closely by the horseman line.

Rebles: fighter. Cheap and versatile. I've seen fighter spam work rather well in the past. However, for favorite its a tie between shamans and their upgrades (I do love cheap healers), the mage line, and the woses. Hmm, I guess I just generally love Rebels. :mrgreen:

Knalgans: probably either fighter or thunderer, its a toss-up. The fighter starts out kind of weak, I think, but levels to the awesome dwarf lord. The thunderer is deadly from the moment it steps onto the field, and I like units that have at least some ability both in melee and at range.

Drakes: don't know, haven't played them enough to say. Probably fighter or clasher, though on a very small map like Isar's Cross, I might just spam saurian skirmishers and hope for a leader assassination in the first few turns. My favorite might be the augur line, but an all-healer force would likely be very weak.

Undead: Good old skelatons, or adepts. Most of the other level one undead are too specialized. My favorite is hard to say, I like all the undead about equally, excluding the corpses and bats.

Northerners: Most likely the troll welp (for regen), though the grunt is an appealing choice. I love the orc archers from level two up, but not the level one.

Note: I did make some attempt at a search to see if this topic or one very like it had been done before. However, if it has been done before, and if as a result this topic is in violation of the rules or is deemed to be spam, please feel free to lock or delete it, with my apologise for the inconveniance. I merely thought it might make another interesting discussion to relieve the monotony of everyday life. :wink:
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Yoyobuae

Re: Single favorite unit/line of units per faction.

Post by Yoyobuae »

Drakes: Saurian skirmisher.

Assuming the enemy is on the same situation, he would need to pick 100% mages in order to counter. Or perhaps 100% fire/ranged. I don't think it would be that of an effective counter against pure melee units. Oh right, they have skirmishers ability as well :D .

A pure drakes recruit would probably lead to having too few units and taking too much damage. Although it might work if there is enought room to use their speed.

Every other faction: Not a clue, as I don't play them
JW

Post by JW »

Yoyobuae wrote:Drakes: Saurian skirmisher.

Assuming the enemy is on the same situation, he would need to pick 100% mages in order to counter. Or perhaps 100% fire/ranged. I don't think it would be that of an effective counter against pure melee units. Oh right, they have skirmishers ability as well :D
Actually, I'll take Woses against your Skirmishers. Or maybe Skeletons. Or maybe Trolls.

:)

And I'd go: Clashers, WCs, Grunts, EFs, Thundys, Spearman.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

elvish archer for the win.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

JW wrote:And I'd go: Clashers, WCs, Grunts, EFs, Thundys, Spearman.
I have to ask why you'd pick the corpses. I've tried corpse spam, and found it most ineffective. Corpses are the guys I recruit if I have 8 gold and aren't saving for anything, or if I'm desperate and short on cash, when I'm losing.

They don't level up to level twos or threes either, do they? So that's another problem. Oh, and they're slow. Their sole virtues are low cost, and the ability to turn units they kill into more WCs. However, if you're losing three or more corpses for every unit you kill, how is that going to help you?
The X-files

JW

Post by JW »

The Great Rings wrote:I have to ask why you'd pick the corpses. I've tried corpse spam, and found it most ineffective. Corpses are the guys I recruit if I have 8 gold and aren't saving for anything, or if I'm desperate and short on cash, when I'm losing.

They don't level up to level twos or threes either, do they? So that's another problem. Oh, and they're slow. Their sole virtues are low cost, and the ability to turn units they kill into more WCs. However, if you're losing three or more corpses for every unit you kill, how is that going to help you?
Alone, I think WCs would be the best choice. I wanted to say Adepts, but they lose to 1 Ulf. Any Skeleton loses to any Impact. You can't win with only Ghouls....or Ghosts. Only logical conclusion is to spam a lvl 0. WCs reproduce themselves and are cheaper (and do more damage), so I picked them. :)

Impact is good against any unit, and you may lose 3 a turn, but you'll be pumping out 2 a turn, so all you need to do is kill a guy and you're maintaining your numbers. :D
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Turuk and I had a little experiment with WC spam. AGainst goblins, the WCs own. Against virtually anything else, they lose hard, because virtually any unit can be relied upon to kill significantly more than 1 WC before dying...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

thespaceinvader wrote:Turuk and I had a little experiment with WC spam. AGainst goblins, the WCs own. Against virtually anything else, they lose hard, because virtually any unit can be relied upon to kill significantly more than 1 WC before dying...
I don't know about level one horsemen, but I vaguely recall some campaign battles where a single knight took out 6 or more corpses in a turn.

48 gold in dead corpses vs 40 gold for a knight who's still alive sounds like a good trade to me. :D
The X-files

Lalindo

Post by Lalindo »

Loyalist: Fencer.

Rebels: Elvish Archer. I do like Woses too. But Archers are nice. Fast. And the ranger gets a decent sword. And I'm a fan of marksman.

Knalgans: Dwarvish Thunderer.

Drakes: Drake Burner. I guess I just like ranged units better.

Undead: Ghost. Drains is fun. And they're fast.

Northerners: Troll Whelp. Regenerates. That's why. I'm not really a big fan of Northerners in general, but that's what I'd go with.
"Try to restate the purpose of the story. In your native tongue, if necessary.
If English is your native tongue, well...
I never did like our public school system."
-Maeglin Dubh
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Loyalists: Spearman.

Rebels: Elvish Fighter.

Drakes: Drake Clasher.

Knalgans: Dwarvish Fighter.

Northerners: ???

Undead: Dark Adept.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Knalgans: Thieves

Drakes: Fighters

Loyalists Cavalryman

Rebels: Shamans

Undead: Dark adepts

Northerners: None of them.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Knalgans: Poacher

Drakes: Burner

Undead: Ghost

Loyals: Spearman

Rebels: Shaman

Northerners: Troll Whelp

Poll possible?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

thespaceinvader wrote:Against virtually anything else, they lose hard, because virtually any unit can be relied upon to kill significantly more than 1 WC before dying...
See, I do understand this view, but they also pwn bats (if they can catch them), whose drain doesn't work, and usually peasants/woodsmen, who just aren't strong enough to deal with them well enough to avoid the smackdown from fearless/chaotic combo + plague.

My conclusion would instead be other level 0s < WC's < any other higher level unit.

Knalgans: Dwarf fighter (for the resistances when levelling)

Drakes: Drake Burner - though if saurian augur had better levelling opportunities, it'd be them

Undead: Ghoul. I love ghouls, and there's nothing more satisfying than watching one in a village take on a living enemy low on ranged units and poison 4 of them, inflicting a whopping 32 damage of poison alone, so it's done more damage in one round that it has HP in total. Also, they have blade and pierce resist. <3

Loyalists: I do like the spearman's pikeman and javelineer upgrades for their pierce resist and range, in the case of the javver, but the swordsman is too weak for a level 2 imo. Mage all the way.

Rebels: So many units to choose from! On one hand, woses > all similar units. Shaman's elvish sorceress line is fantastic imo, as is the big healer that can fly line. Fighters have versatility, but for sheer awesomeness of upgrades and defence, archers. 70% defence in forest is good enough, but the ranger/avenger line turns them into absolute beasts at tactical engagements, and the marksman line is like something out of Sniper.

Northerners: Orcish assassin. I'm in ur villages poisoning ur doodz. With 70% defence. And marksman. Shame about the curtailed levelling.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It sounds to me like you must play on low xp settings. I cannot think of any other reason why you would respond that way. The augers improved forms are great, they give you either +8 healing or a decent magic attack on a fast unit. They may not be as tough as other level 2s but they still have great utility.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

Velensk wrote:It sounds to me like you must play on low xp settings. I cannot think of any other reason why you would respond that way. The augers improved forms are great, they give you either +8 healing or a decent magic attack on a fast unit. They may not be as tough as other level 2s but they still have great utility.
I don't disagree, and I do like augurs a lot, especially in swamps and water. I usually pick the +8 healing, though, because the difference in the magic attack is only 8-3 versus 6-3, which isn't exactly ridiculously more powerful, even taking into account the use with chaotic, compared to the extra +4 healing. It's just that without a higher level advancement, I prefer the burner.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.