Favorite Weapon?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Favorite Weapon?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Kalajel wrote:"one hundred hours of spear, a thousiand hours of bow, and ten thousiand hours of sword."
Turuk wrote:Not claiming that the sword might not require more complex training, but think of it this way. If you have not been trained with a spear, and someone is coming at you, you have once chance to get a thrust in before he's inside your reach... then you're done.
I think it all depends on how good you want to be with a weapon, and how you want to use it. To use a spear in formation requires far less training (learn the commands, learn to point it in the right direction and keep it reasonably solid whilst it's impaling a charging enemy) than to use it in one-on-one duelling, kung-fu style. I would choose a different weapon depending on the situation, to be perfectly honest. In one-on-one combat, I probably wouldn't take anything (well, maybe some armour). I know how to fight barehanded, I don't have a fecking clue how to fight with a sword or knife. And a weapon you don't know is probably more dangerous to you than it is to the enemy.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm the other way around, I know how to fence and use a spear (short spear only not one of the long spears), but I have very little idea how to fight with my hands.

As for the origional topic. Dragon breath.

EDIT: in responce to the comment about how you only get one chance to thrust with a spear if your enemy is charging you. This really shows that you've never tried it. If you have room to move around in the primary reason to choose a shortspear is that it gives you the most oppertunities to attack. It's very easy to feint, your opponent has plenty of area to defend, and you have substancially longer reach. All you have to do is avoid letting him grab your shaft and move around enough that he can't get within your guard and you will have many oppertunities to attack for every one he gets (the latter can be easier said than done, but that's the fun part).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

My favorite Wesnoth weapon would depend on the species, given that every Wesnoth race is good with certain weapons and bad with others. There are just too many choices

As a Human:
- 1. Fireball
- 2. Paladin's Sword
- 3. Light Beam

As a Drake:
- 1. Fire Breath
- 2. War Blade
- 3. Ram/Slam

As a Dwarf:
- 1. Dragonstaff (a magical Runic Dragonstaff would be insanely awesome)
- 2. Runic Hammer
- 3. Hatchet

As an Elf:
- 1. Faerie Fire
- 2. Gossamer
- 3. Longbow

As an Orc:
- 1. Greatsword
- 2. Poisoned Knives
- 3. Fire Crossbow

As an Undead entity:
- 1. Chill Tempest
- 2. Baneblade
- 3. Shadow Wave
Araja

Post by Araja »

SurvivalXtreme Arcane Sword, 98-9 melee arcane magic.

I'm amazed no-one else has done an SX or WML modified weapon before me :D
cobra

Post by cobra »

Araja wrote:SurvivalXtreme Arcane Sword, 98-9 melee arcane magic.

I'm amazed no-one else has done an SX or WML modified weapon before me :D
Thats cause its kinda cheap. :lol2:

I once had a magical sword that did, 100-40. See my point?
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I agree mostly with Skrim's list, but I won't count magic as weapons (so faerie fire and chill tempest are out):
Paladin's Holy Sword that does Arcane (not Holy) Damage
Gun Dragonstaff
Extremely Useful Orcish Marksman Poison Knives
Draining Baneblade of Staying Alive in Some-Kind-Of-Existence
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Araja

Post by Araja »

I don't care if it's cheap or not, it would be light as a feather and instantly destroy whatevever it touched :wink:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Velensk wrote:in responce to the comment about how you only get one chance to thrust with a spear if your enemy is charging you. This really shows that you've never tried it. If you have room to move around in the primary reason to choose a shortspear is that it gives you the most oppertunities to attack. It's very easy to feint, your opponent has plenty of area to defend, and you have substancially longer reach. All you have to do is avoid letting him grab your shaft and move around enough that he can't get within your guard and you will have many oppertunities to attack for every one he gets (the latter can be easier said than done, but that's the fun part).
Actually, before you make judgements on what I have or have not done, I have done so with the weapon that I was actually talking about in the discussion. The distinction you are making is that I was referring to a short spear, which I wasn't. I was referring to a longer spear (8 feet or so), which can be noted as we were talking about spears and pikes.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

My favorite wesnoth weapon has pretty much always been Water Spray.
"Nooo! Not water! I am going to catch a flu and disband as a unit!"
Araja

Post by Araja »

*SPLASH*
"Oh my god my clothes are wet!"
*dies instantly*
:lol2:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Or the dreaded ink attack.

Ruining clothes everywhere.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Araja

Post by Araja »

waterspray.png
waterspray.png (7.07 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
If you think Waterspray is bad you should see this one:
waterpunch.png
waterpunch.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
cobra

Post by cobra »

Turuk wrote:Or the dreaded ink attack.

AHHH!!

My clothes!

*runs off to cleaners*
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Well I'd have to say either a glaive or a sword. I've always liked staffs but I never liked knowing that someone with enough strength or sharp enough weapon or even a heavy enough axe/hammer would be able to break my weapon to pieces. Which is why I might say sword. (which can still break, but it's less likely.)

But for ranged it's definitely the ink attack :wink:.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Turuk wrote:Or the dreaded ink attack.

I never got how exactly the ink manages to poison it's target. Most poison units inject it into the opponent via sharp bladed knives/claws/fangs. The Cuttle Fish just squirts you with it and expects you to drink it or something. :?