Luck In Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

appleide

Luck In Wesnoth

Post by appleide »

Tricked you, I'm not complaining. ;)
You know how there used to be these players complaining about luck and losing full HP Clashers to damaged charging horsemens but have no replays to show?

Well I've got one. ;) In this 1v1(Sullas Ruins) game I flanked his overwhelming army of drakes with horseman and cavalry and achieved at +13% inflicted / -11% taken. Kills vs Losses is 2v1.

Neat. ;)

I'll try to explain the luck: My horseman have huge damage and when they attack they strike first. I kill the enemy unit on my first attack (adds to inflicted), and the enemy couldn't respond. (subtracts taken; There was a 40% chance the unit could have retaliated).
Attachments
appleideVsilentSullasRuins.gz
(46.21 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Kalajel

Re: Luck In Wesnoth

Post by Kalajel »

Okay, I'm gonna sound like a total n00b here (partly because of the slight thread jacking), but I've seen people post replays before and downloaded a few, but never managed to watch them. How do you watch replays? What program is needed to read .gz files? I'm running on Mac OSX 10.3.9 if that's any help…
appleide

Post by appleide »

Go to your Home Folder/Library/Preferences/Wesnoth1.6/saves and put the file in there. Open Wesnoth, click load, then press the "show replay" check box, and select the file and press ok. The replay will load and you just click the play button. :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'll try to explain the luck: My horseman have huge damage and when they attack they strike first. I kill the enemy unit on my first attack (adds to inflicted), and the enemy couldn't respond. (subtracts taken; There was a 40% chance the unit could have retaliated).
if you attack first and can one hit ko an enemy unit, then isnt that tactics and not luck?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Araja

Post by Araja »

"War is 1 part planning, 9 parts luck"

This is completely true for Wesnoth, but that 1 part is the cornerstone of your victory, so if you have it you deserve the other 9 parts :)

Whilst I'm expressing an opinion I can attach something to my message, appleide, your a forum regular?
I never realised that troll whelp who died in the Colloseum had been around for long :D
appleide

Post by appleide »

Araja wrote: Whilst I'm expressing an opinion I can attach something to my message, appleide, your a forum regular?
I never realised that troll whelp who died in the Colloseum had been around for long :D
Have you ever heard of a map called "DotW"? Me, this guy called "Lunar", and Elvish_Pillager made the first one. It involved two teams of heroes (upgradeable similar to colosseum) and normal units fighting each other. It was the first map of its kind.

Also, the first survival map was made by "Lunar" (In quotes because I can't remember spelling).

I have a sneaking suspicion the modern colosseum still contains influences from a map I've contributed to years ago. :hmm:
:D
silent

Post by silent »

I watched my own replay, and luck wasn't the cause

Though you're horsemen were incredibly accurate, that does not detract from how badly I played.

My main mistake was not retreating at turn 14, which allowed your horse army to charge down my disorganized attack.

I also had no fallback plans in case of attack failure.

I was also far too reliant on my saurians surviving in 60% terrain when I should know from experience this will rarely occur.

There was luck, but also you used simple tactics to beat me.
manored

Post by manored »

Pentarctagon wrote:
if you attack first and can one hit ko an enemy unit, then isnt that tactics and not luck?
There is always luck involved :) Especially with horsemen. If a horseman attacks a clasher, it might one-hit kill, but if it misses the first move it has a chance to take severe damage (double damage + pierce weak). And, if it misses both moves, clasher gets 3 more chances to cause serious damage or even (probally) kill.
appleide

Post by appleide »

silent wrote:I watched my own replay, and luck wasn't the cause

Though you're horsemen were incredibly accurate, that does not detract from how badly I played.

My main mistake was not retreating at turn 14, which allowed your horse army to charge down my disorganized attack.

I also had no fallback plans in case of attack failure.

I was also far too reliant on my saurians surviving in 60% terrain when I should know from experience this will rarely occur.

There was luck, but also you used simple tactics to beat me.
In turn 14 you couldn't have known I had a horsemen army about to catch you from the sides because they were in fog. If I was in your position I'd have pressed on and attack the half a dozen troops; the drakes appeared to have an overwhelming advantage if the horsemen weren't there. (Unless you were smart enough to guess I recruited horsemen. Met some players this good before)

Even if you retreated I'd still attack with the horsemen and be able to elicit an advantage by killing the burners and glider. You could then try to counter attack the horsemen, but behind them were my spearmen regulars.

By turn 15 you couldn't escape because my troops were in front and behind.

What I would've done if I was you was, in turn 8, trapped my army in your land and attack the position with all your forces. I wouldn't be able to escape. Also IMO you had too many clashers and not enough fighters; so your drake army was slow and had low sight, which later allowed my horsemen to flank you without you realizing your army was in great danger.

But yeah, my luck had let me execute my maneuver perfectly; if my horsemen died without inflicting damage instead, I'd have lost.

I believe the ability to concentrate power into one place and overwhelm the opponent then and there obtaining a strategic advantage by eliminating all units in that part of the map to be more important than having terrain or TOD advantages or killing individual units.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

More than 3 out of 4 of my games end with bad luck for me on both damage dealt and damage taken, but I still think the RNG is essential - even if it hates my guts. It keeps everyone on their toes.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

and we must remember: For every person the rng screws over, it also gives ungodly luck to someone else. =D
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
manored

Post by manored »

PsychoticKittens wrote:and we must remember: For every person the rng screws over, it also gives ungodly luck to someone else. =D
Despite the fact that this person always seens to be on the other team :)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I think that if we took the principles that we discuss (weekly) about RNG and elaborated just a bit more we'd have a best selling novel on the human condition. :hmm:
Araja

Post by Araja »

The human condition states that if you have 60% chance of hitting and you miss 14 times in a row, or have a 70% chance of missing and miss with 7/8 attacks, your going to be really pissed off.
Both of those are true stories....You kind of lose the will to play after that :|

Then again,although RNG is against you 4/5 times, that 1/5 moments are pure awesome:
"LOL all three of my thunderers got the elf leader in the forest!"
"Elf Player: OMFGWTF?!?!?!"

Priceless... :twisted:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Araja wrote:The human condition states that if you have 60% chance of hitting and you miss 14 times in a row, or have a 70% chance of missing and miss with 7/8 attacks, your going to be really pissed off. Both of those are true stories....You kind of lose the will to play after that.
i remember one time where i hit 2/15 times on 60% CTH, it really pissed me off, but i didn't lose the will to play. on the contrary, i wanted to make sure that stupid Bone Shooter did not continue to exist. i lost the will to play on the next turn (19) on isar's blasphemy when all the orcs swarmed in...
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code