Why, dwarves? Why?!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mcv

Why, dwarves? Why?!

Post by mcv »

Alright, it's not as dramatic as the subject sounds, but I'm currently playing "Elves Last Stand" in the Legend of Wesmere campaign. Olurf's dwarves promised to come to our help, but for most of the battle they were a no-show. Now, battle nearly over, they suddenly come to my aid in my safe, pacified rear, and suddenly I have to pay their upkeep?

Why don't they show up at a time when their help could matter? Or at the place where their help could matter? It's going to take the fastest of them at least 7 turns to reach an enemy unit, and by the time they get there, those units will be dead, so it's more like 10 turns. I think I'll have won the scenario by then. In the mean time, they do sink my income.

They'd better be extremely useful is the upcoming battles.
Darkmage
Translator

Re: Why, dwarves? Why?!

Post by Darkmage »

I had the same "issue" but i think the map is oriented to just send a few troops to the trolls and orcs, anyway there is less forest and the other part of your army sendt south, but it depends on you, i played on easy and had "some" problems all the upcoming enemies but you decide, on the south the elves i thimk are meant to be defeated.

Hope this have helped you out...
mcv

Post by mcv »

I'm not sure how I can send only a few troops to the trolls. The trolls are really nearby, and they come to me. I fought them from a good position on the edge of the forest, and while they're very tough, I had no problem defeating them or the orcs that came to their help. I think leaving those trolls alone and moving my army south would allow them to attack the Ka'lian, and I don't think those elves would make it if attacked from that many sides. I suppose I could move my army into the Ka'lian to defend it, but what I did worked too. I just didn't expect those dwarves to show up so late in such a useless corner of the map.

What I ended up doing was fight the trolls in the forest north of the Ka'lian (their leader came to me, so I never had to leave the forest), then move counter-clockwise around the Ka'lian killing the remains of the other orc forces, adding a handful of defenders to the Ka'lian itself.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

When i played this on "normal" i just send most of my forces directly west to the trolls and orcs. A small contigent of my forces were sent down to the south to defend the ka'lian. It was a pretty hard battle but a satisifying one nonetheless. I think it's somewhere in the time of late turn 10-ish that the dwarves showed up and that made no difference to me.

It would be nice to have an option for the dwarves to spawn at different points of the map so that you can pick a location most suitable to the situation. I for one would love to have to dwarves spawn at the west or northwest by that time to help me root out a couple orc camps. Since there is already an ability to command your AI teammates in this scenario, i don't see this as impossible given what WML can do.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
mcv

Post by mcv »

Can you still give commands to the AI? An old guide mentioned it, but the scenario didn't mention it, and I couldn't find anything about it, so I assumed that had been cut.