clean-wesnoth: cleaned up images in wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bwv549

clean-wesnoth: cleaned up images in wesnoth

Post by bwv549 »

I have a lot of young boys who really like BFW. The artwork in wesnoth is remarkable, but there are a few images that are a bit dodgy (obviously depending on ones sensitivities in that area).

I did a quick patch of the artwork in question and bundled it together with a ruby script for replacing the images.

http://sudoit.blogspot.com/2009/04/clea ... acing.html

Again, I want to emphasize my respect for the wonderful artwork in this game and appreciation for the efforts of the entire community at making such an amazing game. Hopefully, this will enhance the game for some of its audience.

I'm interested to know of the wesnoth community's thoughts on this.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: clean-wesnoth: cleaned up images in wesnoth

Post by thespaceinvader »

We've made conscious artistic decisions regarding this sort of thing (and it's been contentious in the past - we've nearly lost major parts of our artistic team over it) and we're happy with the level of 'cleanliness' (for want of a better word) at present.

You're welcome to do whatever you want with the images in your own copy of the game. You're welcome to distribute those changes as UMC should you so wish. Those images won't be changing in mainline. Sorry to disappoint.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It's not like people can't spot glitches in the existing art and provide fixes or tweaks to them, but I just took a quick look at what you have and mostly there was absolutely no sense to it. Cropping a full waist-up portrait so that you end up with just the head with image dimensions like 400x170? No, just no.
bwv549

Post by bwv549 »

I haven't had time to modify all the artwork. Temporary solution was to just crop some of the images. I agree it's artistically poor, but it accomplished the short-term goal.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Oh, right. I didn't first realize that was your criteria. Oh well, TSI said everything there is to say about that already.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Huh.

Well, that's the beauty of open source software. You can modify it to your own needs as you see fit. :)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'll second TSI's statement that you're welcome to do what you want, but we're not interested in these kinds of changes in the main game. I also want to thank you for being polite about this. :)
bwv549 wrote:I have a lot of young boys who really like BFW. The artwork in wesnoth is remarkable, but there are a few images that are a bit dodgy (obviously depending on ones sensitivities in that area).
If you're censoring this to match some standards of a school or institution, then that's obviously your call. I think it's silly, but then it's not my job on the line.

If you're censoring this to actually shelter your own kids, don't. I think what you're doing has exactly the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve. The only sane thing to do is Desensitization, and Education: It's basic and strongly accepted/proven psychology. If you haven't been exposed to something naturally overwhelming, it will 'blow your mind'; then instincts kick in, and bad decisions are made. Everything I've seen both from personal experience, and from a lifetime of anecdotal and statistical data confirms this.

:eng: That's merely my advice, do what you judge to be right.
Livor

Post by Livor »

I'm confused, have they never been to a pool or a beach?

At any rate, I prefer this version:
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. -Arthur C. Clarke, science fiction writer (1917-2008)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Kitty explicitly stated that it was a joke and it wasn't intended for mainline discussion. Come on... ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Personaly I've never seen why that sort of thing is supposed to be bad for kids. In my experiance most 8-9 yearold males arn't interested in it unless they've gotten the impression that they should be. By the time they are interested in it, either they know about it or they don't, and the later is ussualy the worse case.

Now admittedly, there is something disturbing about kids who I'd classify as over-familiar. A particuarly disturbing instance that happened recently to me was having to supervise a bunch of kids and listening to a pair of sixth/seventh graders compare women they've "had". I realy could not judge if it was idle boasting or real, but either way it is disturbing.

I don't know why the old art would be a problem to anyone though. It is of course your call, but I do think you're being silly.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Orcish Shyde

Post by Orcish Shyde »

Looking at the censored images...

1) There was nothing wrong with the usual Shyde's dress. Nothing that wouldn't be seen at a swimming pool at least.

2) I'll concede that maybe someone was careless about that sprite of Li'sar with legs wide open, and find it bizarre that an actual warrior - as opposed to a superhumanly nature-attuned healer like the Shyde line - would be wearing so little.

3) The mermaid really didn't need that shirt, it's totally impractical for a fish creature who lives underwater. If you really do take an issue with the whole topless thing, it would be artistically more fitting if the boobs were covered by scales as opposed to clothes.

4) The archmage, I'll agree on, though not for the same reasons. It always bothered me that the female Arch Mage and Great Mage dress more like strippers than any other human unit, given their implied age and the fact their male counterparts wear so much more. Animating it would take more effort than it's worth IMHO though, given you're unlikely to see many archmagi compared to most other mainline units.
Shameless Crossover Excuse
Necromancer (campaign)

You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I 100% agree with this thread. I've compiled some concept art for new portrait images.

Female Mage of Light
Elvish Druid
Mermaid Initiate

That last one might still be a little too revealing, so I encourage artists to go ahead and take liberties.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Um, anyone concerned enough to raise this issue in the first place may find some of these later follow-ups provocative. Mind you, I was mildly insulted with the implication that the exquisite pictures we now see in the game were even 'dirty' - in the mildest sense - in the first place. And if they weren't 'dirty', then they don't need to be 'cleaned up.'

I would have preferred it if the original subject line had used the words 'bowdlerised' or 'censored' in the first place, rather than 'cleaned up'. Let's everyone be honest about their intentions here - with themselves as well as with other people.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Careful, people. You know this is a contentious topic, there's no need for anyone to be needlessly provocative, whatever your personal feelings might be.

Unless anyone has anything constructive to add, I don't think there's much more to be said here.

Consider this thread soft-locked
. Please don't reply unless if you have something constructive to say, on pain of thread-locking.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Radament

Post by Radament »

Just to underline the fruitlessness of threads on moral issues/censorship etc. I'll slip this link in:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a

...and bow to the soft-lock.