iPhone port of Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dashzed

iPhone port of Wesnoth?

Post by dashzed »

ok, i think that someone should port Wesnoth to the iPhone for a number of reasons:

1: there have been over 10 iphones sold, probably more by now, so the target audience is HUGE!!!

2: there are almost NO turn-based strategy games for the iPhone, only one that i know of and it stinks.

3: people on iPhone forums have been asking CONSTANTLY about turn-based strategy games, so wesnoth could become number one player pretty quickly.

4: if i don't have this game on my iPod Touch very soon I'm going to start carrying my desktop computer on the bus with me just to play wesnoth :lol2:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: iPhone port of Wesnoth?

Post by thespaceinvader »

http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

dashzed wrote:ok, i think that someone should port Wesnoth to the iPhone for a number of reasons:

1: there have been over 10 iphones sold, probably more by now, so the target audience is HUGE!!!

2: there are almost NO turn-based strategy games for the iPhone, only one that i know of and it stinks.

3: people on iPhone forums have been asking CONSTANTLY about turn-based strategy games, so wesnoth could become number one player pretty quickly.

4: if i don't have this game on my iPod Touch very soon I'm going to start carrying my desktop computer on the bus with me just to play wesnoth :lol2:
I'm sure those some 10 or 12 users would appreciate Wesnoth, for free anyways. The iPhone wasn't meant to be a gaming device, only a digital MP3 player with such capability but not specifically designed to do so. If you're looking for a handheld device meant to do such gaming, then i'm happy to say that two already exists, dubbed the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
mcv

Post by mcv »

Please don't port Wesnoth to the iPhone! I'll never be able to get away from this game if you do.
cool evil wrote:The iPhone wasn't meant to be a gaming device, only a digital MP3 player with such capability but not specifically designed to do so.
The PC was also not originally designed as a gaming device, but it turns out to be really good for it. Same with the iPhone. I'd love a quality strategy game on the iPhone. I'm afraid I'd love it a bit too much.
pqueiro

Post by pqueiro »

mcv wrote:Please don't port Wesnoth to the iPhone! I'll never be able to get away from this game if you do.
cool evil wrote:The iPhone wasn't meant to be a gaming device, only a digital MP3 player with such capability but not specifically designed to do so.
The PC was also not originally designed as a gaming device, but it turns out to be really good for it. Same with the iPhone. I'd love a quality strategy game on the iPhone. I'm afraid I'd love it a bit too much.
Dude speaks the truth. One one hand? Wesnoth on an iPhone makes my geek underwear all sweaty. On the other hand? I would never be able to earn an honest living again >_>
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
appleide

Post by appleide »

You could so make money porting Wesnoth to iPhone and selling it for $4.99 each copy. Then give a link to your website with the source, as required by GPL... It'd take a month or so before people download your source and re-distribute on iTunes store unless some wesnoth dev finds out first. :twisted: Say you get 20 copies a day for that month, since you're lucky. (I love random). 20*30=600 copies = 3000 dollars. So if you can port wesnoth to iPhone in a week or two then its worth it.

Okay what's gotten into me...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

I am not so sure about the feasibility of wesnoth on such a device. For example, consider that wesnoth is usually played in relatively long matches, and that is a scenario that is not going well with iPhone: battery consumption would be an obvious example, then the fact that there is no backgrounding of applications... However, maybe someone could have a look into this to see if it is feasible or worth to make such a port.

As a side note, I would say that the iPhone/iPod Touch would be an excellent device to implement Wesnoth's UI, that is basically a point and click interface. For example, it would be rather easy to move your army's units: tap to select your unit, tap to select the location you want to move to and off you go.

Anyway, just my 2cs, and thanks for a lovely 1.6 release! :wink:
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Problem with that is you'd lose all the keyboard shortcuts which is a huge part of wesnoth for me. You could always bring up the virtual keyboard but that's clumsy and way too time-consuming. Not only that, but the significantly reduced number of hexes on board as well as other visual limitations that come with a small screen is present here as well.

Wait for the pandora console, which is an open-source linux based PDA/handheld. It has the 800*480 resolution of most netbooks but around the same size as a DS. If you can get wesnoth to run on a netbook, chances are you'll be able to do it on the pandora as well. Keep your wallet full for now because this device cost over $300 and are when it goes to full production it'll still be scarce.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

cool evil wrote:Problem with that is you'd lose all the keyboard shortcuts which is a huge part of wesnoth for me. You could always bring up the virtual keyboard but that's clumsy and way too time-consuming. Not only that, but the significantly reduced number of hexes on board as well as other visual limitations that come with a small screen is present here as well.
Agreed, you loose keyboard shortcuts but that does not prevent you from accessing any of the game functionality: with the mouse you can access any menu and any item in the game, AFAIK. Also, about the number of hexes on screen, you could always zoom out when you are interested in seeing the surrounding area by pinching the screen and enlarging. I do not see any big deal with interface that could prevent Wesnoth to be ported to the iPhone/iTouch.
cool evil wrote:Wait for the pandora console, which is an open-source linux based PDA/handheld. It has the 800*480 resolution of most netbooks but around the same size as a DS. If you can get wesnoth to run on a netbook, chances are you'll be able to do it on the pandora as well. Keep your wallet full for now because this device cost over $300 and are when it goes to full production it'll still be scarce.
This Pandora-thingy sound ok but IMHO this is not the point: to me, we are talking more about people that have an iPhone/iPod Touch and would like Wesnoth for their devices, rather than how to play Wesnoth on the move. If that was the problem, I would just go buy a netbook for a small amount of money, and be happy with it. But I have an iPhone, I like wesnoth and trust me I do not want another electronic gadget to make my work bag heavier :wink: .

As a side note, from what I've seen from Wikipedia, that pandora's console doesn't seem to have enough keyboard to allow you to use all the shortcuts you want.
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Polaris wrote:
cool evil wrote:Wait for the pandora console, which is an open-source linux based PDA/handheld. It has the 800*480 resolution of most netbooks but around the same size as a DS. If you can get wesnoth to run on a netbook, chances are you'll be able to do it on the pandora as well. Keep your wallet full for now because this device cost over $300 and are when it goes to full production it'll still be scarce.
This Pandora-thingy sound ok but IMHO this is not the point: to me, we are talking more about people that have an iPhone/iPod Touch and would like Wesnoth for their devices, rather than how to play Wesnoth on the move. If that was the problem, I would just go buy a netbook for a small amount of money, and be happy with it. But I have an iPhone, I like wesnoth and trust me I do not want another electronic gadget to make my work bag heavier :wink: .

As a side note, from what I've seen from Wikipedia, that pandora's console doesn't seem to have enough keyboard to allow you to use all the shortcuts you want.
The Pandora will have more than enough resources to nicely run Wesnoth. That is: In fact the people developing the Pandora already compiled 1.4.x for the console and it "just works".

In general: if you want to have Wesnoth on the iPhone you will either have to port it yourself, or find someone willing to do the port and sponsor him/her (since at least us core devs don't have such a device and are currently not looking into doing such a port). Beside this Wesnoth on the iPhone is *really* problematic because of the resource limitations on it, it is simply too weak to run Wesnoth without lots of work!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

This topic has been raised several times about the iphone port or pandora, and the same questions have been answered several times, even by the same people (as pointed out by thespaceinvader). I suggest you actually read though the old topics and then just be patient until the work can be done.

There are now multiple threads, saying the same thing, all about this same topic. Locked.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time