Can sound be output in more than 2 channels?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pqueiro

Can sound be output in more than 2 channels?

Post by pqueiro »

I just got a spiffy new (well, old but just installed, long story) 7.1 sound system for my PC and was wondering if Wesnoth can output to more than 2 channels. I don't expect it'll have "real" surround sound, but I'd like to have, say, the background music coming out of all the speakers for instance. Can it?

Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Can sound be output in more than 2 channels?

Post by Wintermute »

If your speakers are setup correctly, it already should be coming out of all your speakers... have you tested them with other things? I have a 5.1 setup at the moment, and have no problems on version 1.6a.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
pqueiro

Re: Can sound be output in more than 2 channels?

Post by pqueiro »

The speakers work with DVD's and games - I've tested particularly PES 2008 and WoW - but they don't work, for instance, with flv movies (YouTube and the like). I have been poking around google a bit and there are people with similar setups having issues, but it's always *no* surround in any circumstance and generally solved by installing the correct drivers, which I already have.

I'm playing 1.5.12 however, could that have something to do with it?

edit: Just installed 1.6 and still no sound from the rear speakers =/
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...