Ancient Wesnoth Version?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AleximMose

Ancient Wesnoth Version?

Post by AleximMose »

While I was surfing the Internet, a long time ago, I came upon the oldest version of the Battle for Wesnoth that I have ever seen, version 0.8.10, available for download. I downloaded it and it works fine. The question I have is, does anyone still have an older version than this that still works? Oh, by the way, I run Windows.

I'll put up the installer for this as soon as I can.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Ancient Wesnoth Version?

Post by Dave »

Ancient? You should try these truly ancient Wesnoth versions! :)

Wesnoth 0.1
Wesnoth 0.2
Wesnoth 0.3

Note how Wesnoth 0.1, which was developed in about a week, and yet it contains so many of the major gameplay elements that are core to the game. It was really like an evolutionary prototype which was built upon and built upon into what we have today.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

Not many people have played wesnoth prior to 1.0, I can tell you right now that most of the recent releases before 1.0 are not much different than it is today. The menus, music and tiles are the only few visible changes.

I think i still have a copy of 0.9 on my old windows 2k PC, would have been still playing it if it were not for the new eye candies and gameplay treats of the new version. The question is, will it be able to play multiplayer on the official servers?
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

cool evil wrote:The question is, will it be able to play multiplayer on the official servers?
no.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

aww 0.1 doesn't compile lol
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

xer wrote:aww 0.1 doesn't compile lol
You'll probably have to tweak the Makefile a little, and perhaps add some headers that weren't included. I got it to compile, even on a Mac, but it required some amount of hacking of the Makefile, and even little source code modification.

David
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Wait, .8.10 ancient?!

I feel old now.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dave wrote:Ancient? You should try these truly ancient Wesnoth versions! :)

Wesnoth 0.1
Wesnoth 0.2
Wesnoth 0.3

Note how Wesnoth 0.1, which was developed in about a week, and yet it contains so many of the major gameplay elements that are core to the game. It was really like an evolutionary prototype which was built upon and built upon into what we have today.

David
I love you.

No seriously, I've been looking for versions < 0.3 for years! Google wasn't much of a friend while searching. All I got was UMC-related hits. :evil:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Dave wrote:Ancient? You should try these truly ancient Wesnoth versions! :)

Wesnoth 0.1
Wesnoth 0.2
Wesnoth 0.3

David
Hmm... I downloaded v0.1 and extracted it, but i can't find a way to run it. :(

Is this for Linux by any chance? Cos I'm using windows.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

LemonTea wrote: Is this for Linux by any chance? Cos I'm using windows.
It is source code. This is for really really old versions. You have to know what you're doing to get it running.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Dave wrote:
LemonTea wrote: Is this for Linux by any chance? Cos I'm using windows.
It is source code. This is for really really old versions. You have to know what you're doing to get it running.
Oh I see. Does anyone have a ready-to-run version? Cos I'm kinda curious :hmm:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

LemonTea wrote:Does anyone have a ready-to-run version? Cos I'm kinda curious :hmm:
Me curious too! Would someone please please please run the game and upload the gameplay video on YouTube? Or perhaps make a binary version (not installer, just ZIP) for Windows?
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

That's awesome. I came in at 1.3 Wesnoth and I'm ussually one of the oldest player around on the server besides myth and noy. But 0.1, how cool is that.

On another note, I remember a long time ago someone mentioned on the forum something about Wesnoth the board game, does anyone know if that ever happened?
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I managed to compile Wesnoth 0.1 on Debian testing by doing a few code changes besides the Makefile.

It's not really fun; it may be making assumptions on my system's architecture (which is AMD64/EM64T), the amount of memory available, the X server display backend, etc...

(the first version I played was 0.8.something which came with SUSE 9.3. Decided it was boring. Tried 0.9.6 which came with SUSE 10 some months later when I was about to die of boredom, and decided it was entertaining and very professional-looking. So we may say he first version I really played was 0.9.6.)
Attachments
wesbreak.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

I made the code changes and everything works on my 32-bit Arch Linux system (no graphics glitches like Shadow Master's). Attached the fixed source just in case. If you want to try it, just run the binary inside. If that doesn't work, run "make clean" and try make-ing it again. You may need to change the path to the SDL includes in the Makefile.

I haven't done any screencasts before so if someone who has a 32-bit Linux computer who knows how to make screencasts but does not know how to make the code changes, I've already made the code changes so it's now up to you. :-)

Playing this has been rather interesting. Key concepts like gold, recruiting, recalling (I didn't win the first scenario so I couldn't test this feature), combat, different damage types, unit advancement and ZOC were already present even in the first version. Konrad was an "elf commander" :-). The first scenario was on an unnamed island which looks exactly like Isle of Anduin. Smooth scrolling (when it's your turn, the game smoothly scrolls to your keep) already exists.
Attachments
wesnoth-0.1-fixed.tar.gz
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 378 times