Which is the strongest faction?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Re: Which is the strongest faction?

Post by TheGreatRings »

ArtillaryGoat wrote:But if they simply fly high, directly over the enemy, the enemy would be likely to kill more of their own troops with missile fire than the drakes with their fire.

Hello Gliders!!!
I'd say Ballistas would be a good anti-drake weapon. Giant crossbows. :twisted:
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

I disagree.

WARNING: Logical reasoning!

With drakes flying over head (not talking about ground combat), a ballista needs to shoot upwards to hit the drake, yes?

The problem is with the velocity and deceleration of the missile/bolt (and one unknown variable is the height at which drake gliders can fly and effectively launch fireballs at the enemy below).

A ballista bolt will be losing upwards velocity at more than 9.8 metres per second, every second.

This will severely limit the height at which a ballista bolt will travel.

A slow down in speed also gives the drake an excellent chance to dodge a high launch-angle bolt, although horizontal speed is affected very little due to the bolt's weight and slim profile - giving a lesser chance to dodge at a low launch-angle. Obviously though, a low launch-angle would provide less altitude.

Without knowing the actual launch speed of the bolt, and the combat height of a drake glider, an accurate determination of impact speed (and a good approximation of weight would be needed for impact force) can only be imagined.

I know how to do these calculations, I just need some likely values for:
Launch speed of a ballista bolt,
Combat height for a drake glider, and optionally,
Mass of ballista bolt (for impact force).

This would settle or at least provide some good evidence for the effectiveness of a ballista taking down a drake glider.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Doesn't anyone realize that....

Trolls and dwarves would obviously win and be the best because they are totally cheap and have weapons that do a whole crap load of damage.

COmbined with Troll heal and their huge high HP
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

On size alone, trolls are quite formidable. But their technology sucks. I'm not sure they'd have what it takes to capture a serious fortress, or fight a professional and disciplined army using combined arms tactics.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

I guess:
- Northeners: Massive army of barbarians. They have the same chances as barbarians in the era of Roman Empire. As long as Empire is strong they pose no threat.
- Undead: Leaders are ambitious. They are some threat to Wesnoth.
- Knalga: Strong, but very isolationist. They are not entiry interested in politics outside mountains.
- Rebel: Weak but mobile. Thay can easily sneak behind lines. They do not always like Wesnoth but they rarly hate them Alsa elves tends to be isolationist.
- Drakes: Very strong but rare. I don't imagine thay are very interested in the affairs of weak others.
- Wesnoth: Strong as long as disciplined. Their army is similar to Prussian - not very skillful but disciplined soldairs.

I guess that Wesnoth or Knalga is the most powerful single country/organisation. However it is relativly unflexible which makes it weak.

Rebels could have been more powerful but they are mostly separated. They lost much when Orcs tried to get the Ruby of Fire.

Northeners potential is growing. It will be stopped eventually when the sun will fall but otherwise they will form a civilasation.

Drakes are creatures of ancient past. I guess that what elves might eventually become (if not sun).