Sam_waz_thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sam_waz_here

Sam_waz_thread

Post by sam_waz_here »

I can understand spearmen having tiny sheilds being basic infantry but swordsmen are supposedly veterans who have saved up some money. (or so the description says) The swordsman's sheild is barely any larger then the size of a dinner plate and just wouldn't do any good in combat.

So now I will attempt to defend my topic from the obvious responses:

1. Wesnoth is not to scale
Yet a troll is larger then a human, a dwarf is shorter and a royal guard gets a realistically sized sheild.

2. Wesnoth is not realistic
The following units all have realistically sized sheilds:
Mountain lord
General + upgrade
Dark elf lord
sheild bearer
sheild guard + upgrade
Arif +upgrades
that lvl 2 celestial sheild guy with the fire sword
and
Troll rocklobbers deal impact damage not blade damage which is less realistic

Frankly I can't think of a single sheild using unit that has an unrealistically proportioned sheild like the swordsman and spearman. You could argue that swordsmen use tiny sheilds to parry their opponents blows and quickly counterstrike but if that was the case then why the suit of armour?

So wesnoth forumers where is the love for the swordsman?
Last edited by sam_waz_here on May 5th, 2008, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where is the love?
AI
Developer

Re: swordsman sheilds are actually dinner plates

Post by AI »

Bucklers. Look into them.

Tower shields are nice to hide behind, bucklers are for parrying.
Last edited by AI on May 2nd, 2008, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

...and where have you gotten the idea that the royal guard, general etc have a "realistically sized shield" and that the swordsman doesn't? :?

It's a buckler. Why would a swordsman want a massive tower shield?
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

In the scale of the sprite, the shield is about 2 feet across. That's about the size of, oh, say, a shield. :wink:
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

Units differ from eachother, and even if two units are closely banded together, they still differ from eachother.
As example you can take a level 1 unit and level it up to level 2 where you sometimes get two choices, and even rarely is that you can level it up to level 3, but there is another character in level 3 depending on what unit you chose on level 2.
As example I'll take the Elvish Fighter, it reaches level 2 and you can decide to let it be an Elvish Hero or an Elvish Captain, these two differ from eachother, as the Elvish Captain relies more on actually being a ''captain'' and leading it's army rather then being a Hero which relies more on it's power and not on being a teamleader such as a captain, which these all you can find when you level up the hero and captain. Now what has this to do with this topic? It lets you realise the different between a Royal Guard and a Swordsman, as some of you were discussing about that, a swordsman has to use it's sword effectively, and a tower shield can be an obstacle for that, so it got a smaller shield. The Royal Guard has the tower shield because he relies more on defense rather then attacks, because thats his job, just like how the captain and hero differ from eachother. Now if you think that the shield of the swordsman looks like a dinner plate, that's fine with me, everyone got their opinions, but honestly, I laughed a bit when I saw this topic title. Hilarious! :lol2:
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Fine you win this round but I will be back with something else to nitpick. :augh:
Where is the love?
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

sam_waz_here wrote:Fine you win this round but I will be back with something else to nitpick. :augh:
I'll be looking forward on your next topic title. :D
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

As an afterthought: I _have_ seen dinner plates the size of bucklers, but they usually weren't made out of metal. ;)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

sam_waz_here wrote:Fine you win this round but I will be back with something else to nitpick. :augh:
Next time you do nitpick I recommend spelling "shield" correctly. Tends to lend credibility and all that.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

I nitpick your game you nitpick my spelling lets agree to disagree.
Where is the love?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

May I wonder... what are you trying to achieve with all these witty questions?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Shadow Master wrote:May I wonder... what are you trying to achieve with all these witty questions?
Other then the illusion that I have wit?
Where is the love?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

oh, witty banter, do let me join.

Don't make tons of random topics, if you want, just make one topic with an appropriately witty title, and put all your trick questions there. I know it' only the users' forum, but try not to own too much of the front page
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
sam_waz_here

Post by sam_waz_here »

Ok i'm just used to forums moving much faster so within hours all my topics are on the third page. But if that's what you want then i'll slow down on the posting. Is there a post limit per day in these forums?
Where is the love?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sam_waz_here wrote:Ok i'm just used to forums moving much faster so within hours all my topics are on the third page. But if that's what you want then i'll slow down on the posting. Is there a post limit per day in these forums?
No, but these forums are not just to play around in, they're for developing the game. So don't make a post unless it's actually going to be useful.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm